pixeltracker

Why did "Brooklyn the Musical" close?- Page 2

Why did "Brooklyn the Musical" close?

Roscoe
#25re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:48am

It closed because it was crap. Not that crap automatically closes, but this was such utter crap that even Broadway wouldn't stand for it. A nightmare.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 2/17/08 at 10:48 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:35am

OK..."sucked" might be a tad strong.

The story was a mess. Did the producers NOT see it in rehearsal? A train wreck.

Yes, the performers were good...but you can dress up a pig...it's still a pig.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#27re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 12:40pm

I saw the show twice in Denver where it premiered before heading to NYC. The theater it played at here in Denver was small. The size of an off-broadway house. It probably should have played off-Broadway and not gone to Broadway. I think it was a fun evening out with good music and great voices but not big enough to take on Broadway. The costumes were also quite interesting. I think another big mistake was the "Live" Cast recording. As much as I enjoyed the music, the live concept was awful. Had ther just done a studio recording I would have bought it. And to be honest, I don't think it would have even lasted too lon off-Broadway. JMO

Just give the world Love.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#28re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 12:42pm

Smaxie, your answer made me laugh quite hard.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#29re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 12:49pm

I'm guessing it closed because a show made up of melismical and overly athletic Idol-audition riffs just ain't gonna survive.

And weren't the costumes and sets made from real garbage? re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#30re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 12:51pm

Suck probably isn't the right word. Though "Blew" is; Brooklyn Really Blew! I was given comps, center orchestra, The theatre was 1/3 full and being in the center I felt I could not leave. 20 minutes into the show I wanted it to be over so bad!
The costume design idea is used in every Foundation Fashion Design Course: create ball gowns , clothing out of trash bags, garbage found objects. This is nothing new or inventive!
The book was atrocious and the singing was more screaming then anything else. There was a reason why they ran it without an intermission! If they had they would have been playing the second act to an empty house!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

ABoyLikeThat
#31re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 1:24pm

Good performers, bad book/plot.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#32re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:06pm

Some of the worst reviews I have ever read didn't help matters.

Anyone remember those BWW glory days of 2003 when BROOKLYN "fans" flooded the boards creating thread after thread about BKLYN and "Eden is a goddess" and blah blah blah months and months before the show opened? It was then that the phrase "shill" entered our lexicon. True!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#33re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:37pm

I came to see this when i came to the states that year and we got free tickets for it, i remember been entertained for about 5 mins and then just sitting shocked at how ghastly the whole thing was.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#34re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 2:47pm

Peter Filichia's unforgettable review in Theatermania "Help!!"

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

exedore
#35re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 3:00pm

I think BroadwayAbridged put it best:

CLEAVANT DERRICKS
Right now, you and "Perri-Air-Freshener"
(sighs)
are going to argue over who's the better

BLACK GIRL
I'm a better singer, I have Brooklyn in my blood more than
you do! I grew up here!

EDEN ESPINOSA
I have it more than you do! No, I didn't grow up here, and I
only lived here for like a month, but my *name* is Brooklyn!

The sad thing is, IIRC the actual dialogue wasn't much better.

theactorsociety Profile Photo
theactorsociety
#36re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 5:57pm

I loved the show and thought the cast pulled it through.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#37re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 6:17pm

I hated it so much.

My seats were in the center orchestra about 5 seats in from the aisle. I just got up, politely excused myself and RAN up the aisle.

Utter trash. (And not in a good way...)

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx
Updated On: 2/17/08 at 06:17 PM

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#38re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 7:09pm

Borstalboy, that review cracked me up. And for those who liked it, are you forgetting, "C'mon Dad. We can use your tears to water the roses that rise from the concrete??"

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

Urban
#39re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 9:15pm

I remember those shrill girls from 2003. Not plesant at all. It took me forever to like WICKED again because of those girls.

OrdinaryJukebox
#40re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 9:29pm

Eh, the truth of the matter is, far worse shows open and remain on Broadway and far better shows close in even shorter amounts of time.

One will never know why a show is a "success." I mean, can someone explain why "Mamma Mia" is still going strong, while a masterpiece such as "Caroline, or Change" closed in a shorter frame of time than "Brooklyn: The Musical"?

Your guess is as good as mine. I saw this show. It wasn't the worst thing I have ever seen, it was utterly forgettable, though. I liked the vocal work and energy of the cast...that's all I remember. Oh, some of the melodies, not the lyrics, were nice. It was just a sloppy, sloppy show. It felt like they rushed to get it up on Broadway.

-Vincent

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#41re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:07pm

Bad reviews & no customers . It is a deadly combination.

Poster Emeritus

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#42re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:11pm

B3TA07, we share the same birthday.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 2/17/08 at 10:11 PM

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#43re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:20pm

At least some good came out of this show. It taught me that all Brooklynites are either brassy pop divas or heartwrenchingly soulful homeless folks. And that both kinds of Brooklynites wear Cheeto bags and caution tape for special occasions.

To this day I won't take the L further east than 1st Avenue.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#44re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:24pm

I also should add, I only opened this thread to see how many people would respond with:

"Because it sucked"

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Mattbrain
#45re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/19/08 at 11:34am

I don't know. I personally liked the show.

I guess I just have a thing for the occasional smelly flop.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#46re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/19/08 at 12:17pm

well do you have a tally for us bellfoster?

....but the world goes 'round

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#47re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/19/08 at 12:41pm

Add one more to the tally bellfoster.

It closed because it sucked hardcore.

You can't just put a bunch of people on a stage for 90 minutes screaming over each other and call it theater, wait you can Wicked. But yeah the book was terrible and you can't salvage something based off of two songs.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#48re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/19/08 at 12:44pm

There was a lot of talent on stage and some good songs, but the story is plain weird. I think young people liked it because it was a musical style that spoke to them, and they didn't think it was weird or cliche. To me, the whole sing-off concept was "huh?" and the whole "Trust the music" very cliche.
Broadway Blog: Broadway Star Bingo IV

Roscoe
#49re: Why did 'Brooklyn the Musical' close?
Posted: 2/19/08 at 12:47pm

It sure looked and sounded like a musical written by homeless people.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/