pixeltracker

West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway

West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#1West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:22pm

"A revival of the classic American musical West Side Story — directed by its librettist, Arthur Laurents — will make its premiere at The National Theatre in Washington, DC, in December before arriving on Broadway in 2009.

About the revival, Laurents had previously said it would be "radically different from any production ever done and contemporary to boot."

Laurents-Directed West Side Story to Bow at the National in DC Prior to Broadway Updated On: 3/4/08 at 05:22 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:27pm

Hey David Miller! Still busy?

*snort*

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#2re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:30pm

Exciting! Didn't the original production also try out at The National prior to Broadway?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:33pm

I thought Jerry Mitchell was going to re-create Robbins' choreography, oh well.
I can't wait to hear about casting and the "revolutionary" aspects of the show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:40pm

Whoo-hoo! Joey McKneely is recreating Jerome Robbins' choreography! At least he learned it directly from the master himself when he was a cast member of JEROME ROBBINS' BROADWAY back in 1989.

re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#5re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:44pm

WEST SIDE STORY REVIVAL?!!!

Thank goodness!

I'm queasy about these revolutionary ideas...

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#6re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:46pm

"I can't wait to hear about casting and the "revolutionary" aspects of the show."

I read or heard somewhere that some of the dialogue/songs were going to be in Spanish, to further distinguish the cultural differences and the prejudices.

AnnaK<3LMIP
#7re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:50pm

OH.

Love that.

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#8re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:51pm

If AL is to pass away between now and 2009...then what happens?

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#9re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 5:53pm

Or maybe Sondheim will be permitted to rewrite some of his awful lyrics. (It's alarming how charming I feel!)
But really, I can't wait! Despite the fact that he's an old, bitter prune, I hoe Laurents stays with us for this. I don't THINK he'll die anyway, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

AnnaK<3LMIP
#10re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:21pm

Ok, LOOK jv. Maybe it really was alarming how charming she felt.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#11re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:24pm

But I think the world was just a little more than just an address, even in 1957...

I love Sondheim. He's brilliant. Something's Coming and the Jet Song are brilliant lyrics. America is fun, but hard to understand unless you're very familiar with it. Some of the other ones are okay too. They're just not up to his usual standard.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#12re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:24pm

I hope it is nothing like that god awful tour that is going around Europe nowadays with the modern costumes and flat shoes and bare feet and projections. ewwwww

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#13re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:30pm

west side story remixed lol

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

AnnaK<3LMIP
#14re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:35pm

WSS remixed would make me scratch my eyes out.

Fair enough jv. But whenever I feel that way about Sondheim, I just remember some other composers...

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#15re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:38pm

Oh God, I know. I Feel Pretty is work of genius compared to some of the stuff in The Phantom of the Opera.
I love Sondheim and West Side, just not some of the lyrics in that show. The only one I truly hate is One Hand, One Heart. I can take I Feel Pretty in small doses though.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#16re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:41pm

So excited for this!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#17re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 6:47pm

Wow, I will definetly be there! It's not too often that shows try out around here. I think that last show that did a pre-Broadawy run in D.C. was HOT FEET.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#18re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 9:13pm

Yup, the original tryout was in DC. re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway

Though I'm weary of any little change being made, all I have to say is not one note of Bernstein's score better be touched.

That out of the way, I'm so excited! I know what I'm gonna try to get as a holiday present next year!

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#19re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 9:37pm

I doubt Arthur would ever allow one note of his beloved Lenny's score to be touched, but I second that. Plus the Bernstein estate wouldn't allow it.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#20re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 9:46pm

Oh, of course Arthur wouldn't change a note, look at my signature re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#21re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 9:58pm

Natalie Cortez!
Make it happen!

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#22re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 10:06pm

I'm happy there is a revival.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#23re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 10:11pm

I am a bit worried about how "contemporary" it'll be.

Mmmm, I do love Natalie Cortez.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Ole Chum
#24re: West Side Story Revival To Bow in DC prior to Broadway
Posted: 3/4/08 at 11:17pm

am i the only one who thinks karen olivo was born to play Maria?