Ugh, ruined experience

Fiyero13
#25re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:25pm

a person has asked me not to lean forward so he could see better because it was a steep decline with the seats, so i guess u could ask the person to slouch or something

KrissySim
#26re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:26pm

It's a part of live theatre and comes with being short, I guess. I've looked for another seat (even if I'm with others, we just get together after the show). Sat on my handbag, squirmed until I'd get a reasonable view. Once or twice I've asked people in front of me if they would mind switching seats, but I usually try to not bother them, it's really not their fault either, unless someone is wearing a hat or spiked hair or something.

This is one of the reasons I've fallen in love with Blu-ray high definition video at home. I want to build up an extensive collection of musicals as they come out. (Only a few musicals have so-far come out on blu-ray.)

But everyone here knows that widescreen TV will never replace the magic of the live performance onstage!!!!

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#27re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:37pm

"yeah but i was sitting with 2 of my friends and there were't 3 seats open anywhere else...shooting them is a great option"

So? Were you planning on talking to your friends during the performance? Why should three people be reseated because of one obstructed view?

CHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
#28re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/18/08 at 1:39pm

Well I'm 1.82 meters, so tall, and this once happened to me, an absolute giant sat in front, I dont know what you have on Broadway as this was London, so what I did, was get a booster cushion, so I was higher up, giving me a great view over the man's head, and annoying the people behind me as there view was then blocked, so solved the problem and I felt quite good, nasty, but good!

"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#29re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/18/08 at 2:25pm

re: Ugh, ruined experience

I hated sitting behind them.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

DefyGravity777
#30re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/18/08 at 5:33pm

I'm tall but I have really long legs so I find that I don't block many peoples views. I can sit next to someone who's 5'2" and look shorter than them while we are sitting. Most of the theatres I go to have stadium seating though so it's not that bad. Or I sit on the aisle seat so I can stretch out.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#31re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/18/08 at 5:58pm

When I get a say where I sit, I'll often go for near the back. That way if I need to start getting creative to see over people's heads, I'm not bothering anyone behind me. I've sat on coats, bags, I've even taken my boots off and wrapped them in my coat, just for that added bit of height.

What's upsetting is when you've got a great view for act 1, then Tiny Wife swaps places with Tall Husband and you lose act 2. That's a whole quarter of 'War & Peace' I didn't get to see properly. re: Ugh, ruined experience If I can't see the whole play properly, I adjust. But to switch halfway is just frustrating.

LittlexFallxOfxRain
#32re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/18/08 at 10:27pm

I hate when this happens. Usually I ask my sister to switch with me because she is much taller than me.

osage08 Profile Photo
osage08
#31re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/19/08 at 2:25pm

I generally sit either in the front row or close to it so I don't get stuck behind rediculously tall people but I will sometimes end up needing a neck message when the front row is too close to the theatre. In fact, while seeing The Adding Machine yesterday I was front row and had to lean sideways because the actors were practically on top of me at times!

"Perhaps, when we remember wars, we should take off our clothes and paint ourselves blue and go on all fours all day long and grunt like pigs." Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#32re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/19/08 at 2:43pm

The Erykah Badu post made my day!

When it happens to me, it is usually big hair. I always try to get an aisle seat so I can shift to look around someone who is tall or has big hair. Here in Denver, I like to sit in the 1st row of the balcony or at the break in the orchestra section so there are no obstructions.

Just give the world Love.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#33re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/19/08 at 6:56pm

re: Ugh, ruined experience

I also sat behind this guy!

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#34re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/20/08 at 10:11am

I had tickets to a very special charity event, and I thought I would be lucky to be sitting in the last row of the theatre due to possible demand. Amazingly (thanks to overnight mail), my friend and I were placed in the 4th row.

So I'm thinking this is fantastic, we will have wonderful seats. We did - UNTIL a very tall person sat in front of me. I, in turn, sat on my leg for the entire 2 and a half hour show. I was able to dodge most of the time, but it was so annoying to have a head right in front of me. The expereince was so great that I generally forget about it though!!!

I'm short, so when I'm planning a trip to Broadway or even a local theatre, I try to snag really good tickets very early if possible. First row is always a plus. If not possible, I'll take an aisle seat and lean to the side. I'll sit in the first row in the second section of the orchestra (anything with a bit of distance between the next row). I am so thankful for stadium style seating at some theatres - that's very helpful.

I despise tall people - especially when they sit in front of me.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#35re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/20/08 at 1:14pm

I had 2nd Row Center for the Phantom Vegas show. Figures the guy who sits in front of me is a stocky guy who is about 6'2".

It sucked a lot. Plus the guy in front of me was obstructing my view.

Maurice Profile Photo
Maurice
#36re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/20/08 at 1:27pm

I have had to ask people in front of me in the mezzanine to not lean forward.

"I'm a whirling mass of contradictions." - Douglas Carter Beane, The Little Dog Laughed

Equus (11/8), Billy Elliot (11/8)

bestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
#37re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/20/08 at 1:50pm

I despise tall people

"Short People got no reason to live

They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Short People round here"

"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

keybowvio
#38re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/20/08 at 2:02pm

this is why when I buy tickets to roundabout productions or shows where you can see the seating chart and pick and choose exactly which seats you want, I usually buy out the seat in front of me as well, that way this never happens, but ticketmaster and telecharge don't let you do that re: Ugh, ruined experience

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 4/20/08 at 2:08pm

Updated On: 5/6/09 at 02:08 PM

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#40re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/20/08 at 2:20pm

I'm six foot five, few things bring me as much happiness as sitting in front of short people in the theater.

Lisatwin-2 Profile Photo
Lisatwin-2
#41re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/20/08 at 2:20pm

"so I ended up spending the whole time peering to the right and left of him and ended up straining my neck."

Wonder how the person behind YOU felt? I am always stuck behind the head bobbers..right and left and right and left...

memphreblues
#42re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/20/08 at 3:14pm

I'm 5'11, and I'm always SO worried about obstructing someone's view! I usually slouch as much as possible, just in case.

The only time someone HUGE sat in front of me was when Phantom came here. I missed most of the show re: Ugh, ruined experience

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#43re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/20/08 at 9:27pm

"I despise tall people

Short People got no reason to live

They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Short People round here"

Alright, alright --- let me rephrase... I despise tall people's height. Better? re: Ugh, ruined experience

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
Updated On: 4/20/08 at 09:27 PM

Flaunt It
#44re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 4/23/08 at 2:27pm

As a tall person, let me tell you this. There is nothing more aggravating than sitting down in the theatre and having the person behind me immediately let out the huge infantile sigh of disappointment and then loudly complain to whoever they are with about how they cant’s see. Like the show is taking place in my lap and not on a 40 foot wide raised stage 50 feet away!

I can not be any smaller or shorter, I usually try to crouch if I can but for risk of spinal injury, I can only do so much. I also have a rule that if the person persists in the huffing an puffing right in my ear I will then sit as straight and tall as I can. I figure if my night is ruined with the guilt ringing through my head, their night can be ruined trying to look around me.

I find the huffing and puffing to be low class and quite rude. I don’t sigh and bitch when some old fart sits near me knowing they will be making love to their cellophane candy wrappers all night and whispering “What did he say?” every 2 minutes.

My experience is just as ruined as theirs.

Updated On: 4/24/08 at 02:27 PM

BWayJunkie
#45re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 5/6/08 at 1:01am

I'm 5'11" and never has it occured to me that i might be blocking somebody's view. I don't think I'm really all that tall. However, about a month ago a man walked into the theater i work at who was 7'3". I felt kind of bad because I knew he'd get a hard time from the people sitting behind him. He did and the people requested to be moved. It couldn't have been that huge a deal because it was the balcony and the seats are stadium style or w/e, so i'm sure they didn't miss much. The guy seemed nice but the people were rather rude. Hopefully he got a good show out of the experience.

camncal
#46re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 5/6/08 at 2:52am

when i went to see Young Frankenstein, there was this guy that was sitting in a strange way that half of his upper body was above the chair rather than just the head. I couldn't see a damn thing for the entire first act and he kept moving left right left right over and over throughout the entire first act. I got so annoyed and said "what the hell is this guy's problem" to his body, and he still kept doing it. I complained and they moved my seat after the first act along with my friend's.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#47re: Ugh, ruined experience
Posted: 5/6/08 at 4:50am

a person has asked me not to lean forward so he could see better because it was a steep decline with the seats, so i guess u could ask the person to slouch or something

There's a difference. When you lean forward, you're not sitting in the way that the seats and view were designed. No one can help being tall, but you can help leaning forward and intentionally blocking someone's view.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how