pixeltracker

Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD

Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 8:20pm

I finally got my copy of Kerry Butler's, "Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust" today, which arrived along with the revival recording of South Pacific today.

I just got done listening to Ms. Butler's album, and it was a joy from start to finish.

I was delighted to discover from reading the liner notes that she seems to be just as big a "Disney dork" as I am (see avatar and signature). Many of the songs on this album are well known, but I love how she made them distinctive.

She's taken a number of well-known songs and quieted them down a bit, made them more introspective. Don't get me wrong, I love big, belty versions of "When You Wish Upon a Star," but it is nice to hear Ms. Butler's softer, more thoughtful rendition. Ditto for her "Colors of the Wind," which has always been my favorite Disney song. By toning down the arrangements to a number of these songs, Ms. Butler has really focused on the lyrics, and what you get are stunning interpretations of the songs.

One of my favorites might be "God Help the Outcasts," where she does get to show off her range a little bit. Again, however, the song works because of her interpretation of its lyrics.

Another gem is the album's final song, "Disneyland," which is from Smile, but I had never heard before. It sums up my love of the Disney theme parks better than anything I've ever read before. Butler, being a "Disney dork" herself, really believes the lyrics (my favorite moment on the entire CD is her impassioned, "But I don't care!" in this song).

I'm so happy I bought this CD, and it's making me look forward to July 17 (when I go back to WDW) even more.

MusicalMan76 Profile Photo
MusicalMan76
#2re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 8:34pm

Sorry, I have to disagree. The renditions are boring, and uninteresting. Definitely not good.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#4re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 8:46pm

I am happy with many of the songs on her CD...others just made me want more...

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 8:48pm

I actually don't mind her voice when she's singing songs written for cartoon voices.

sleepyguy1717
#6re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 8:48pm

Did she sing all through her nose? I hope not.

I want to apologize for some offensive messages posted on this board under my name. The night 0f 12-15-08 I did not have internet access, and someone had used my name to post something offensive. My avatar was also changed. I dont' know what else was posted, or if anyone recieved bad PMs, but I want to apologize for that. I've changed my password, and even though I was not the one posting these messages it still needed to be corrected.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#7re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 8:54pm

Song list please.

If you like DISNEY music, Barbara Cook has a CD of songs from DISNEY movies which is wonderful.

bk
#8re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 8:55pm

The most shocking thing in Adam Greer's post is that he's never heard Disneyland before. I guess he never bought Unsung Musicals, huh? All real musical theater fans have Unsung Musicals you know :)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 8:56pm

Song list...

This Only Happens in the Movies
When You Wish Upon a Star
I'll Try
Call Me a Princess
Colors of the Wind
It's a Small World/ God Help the Outcasts
Baby Mine
Minnie's Yoo Hoo
The Second Star to the Right
The Bare Necessities
When She Loved Me
Disneyland

FuturePenny2
#10re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:00pm

i agree Adam..im addicted to it! ADDICTED! haha, fortunately I got to see her perform them live and wow..she blew me away

He's so nurturing! - Penny Pingleton, Hairspray

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#12re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:02pm

I finally got my copy today as well. I LOVE it. I'm another Disney dork, so it's a lot of fun.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#13re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:07pm

wow this is a funnily bitchy thread.

there are people who haven't heard Disneyland, y'know. I guess Kerry doesn't sound terrible on the CD.

and omg i must have barbara cook's CD of disney tunes.

oh and i agree that butler isn't the best at doing torchy stuff, like Baby Mine. doesn't really fit her.
Updated On: 5/28/08 at 09:07 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#14re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:07pm

I like the selection..It's a small world~ that's my favorite ride as Disneyland & Disney World's Magic Kingdom.

re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#15re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:10pm

Admitted Disney Dork here as well !!! Just got back on Monday night from a 4-day stay- Was hot, but awesome !!

Thanks for the pics, Jay. Miss it already !!

August cant come soon enough !

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#16re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:17pm

I just downloaded her CD via iTunes..I love "Its a Small World! -that's my favorite Disney song! re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD I am listening to it right now! Oh! how I just love iTunes, so convienient!

Good Luck Kerry with your CD!

J*

Updated On: 5/28/08 at 09:17 PM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#15re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:21pm

Torchy stuff like "Baby Mine" ?

Huh?

Baby Mine is a lullaby and hardly what I'd call torch - whether it's Butler singing it or anyone else I've hever heard.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

dalefully Profile Photo
dalefully
#16re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:24pm

Is the CD on iTunes? I keep checking but I can't find it...

Anyways, once I do, I'm really excited to hear it. I love Disney almost as much as I love Kerry Butler.

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#17re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:34pm

she def does not sing through her nose!!!!!

she has a beautiful voice

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#18re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:39pm

Yeah.. its on Itunes. Here's the link, sorry I should have posted the link earlier.

Kerry Butler's New CD on iTunes for $9.99
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=280293824&s=143441

Enjoy! re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD

J*

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#19re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:48pm

I got mine yesterday and have had it playing in the background all day today. Well not all day. I will hopefully be going to WDW to work for seven months starting in January! Wont know till September or so, this CD makes me excited!

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#20re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 9:58pm

eh torchy was the wrong word. im not really sure what i mean. all i knwo si that i don't like butler doing it very much lol.

LOVE Bette doing it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#21re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 10:08pm

For those wondering about the Barbara Cook Disney CD..I found it at Amazon..apparently it's out of print, but they have some used copies available:

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Album-Wally-Harper/dp/B000002O5K/ref=pd_bbs_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1212026817&sr=8-10

#22re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/28/08 at 10:26pm

my favorite is MINNIE'S YOO HOO!!!
& i really like the cozy arrangement of WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR.

...& of course *any* version of BABY MINE is gonna have me in tears.

tinkerscanne
#24re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/29/08 at 7:52am

I like the CD because it's

1. Kerry Butler and
2. DISNEY music!

I guess you can add me to the "Disney Dork" list as well.

My husband did NOT care for the CD. He, too, is a Disney Dork, but he didn't care for Kerry's vocals. We usually disagree, though, and I am the one with TASTE. Ha ha.

I hope Kerry does very well with the CD.

JBSinger
#25re: Just finishing listening to Kerry Butler's new CD
Posted: 5/29/08 at 8:19am

I received mine a couple days ago and have given it a full listen. While I appreciated her reinterpretations, I was hoping for a little more "full throtle" belt moments. The album is very relaxed and hardly seems like a vocal workout for her at all. I was probably most pleased the with tracks I hadn't heard before: "Only Happens in the Movies", "I'll try" because I had no existing interpretation in my head. "Minnie's Yoo-hoo" was fun and there could've been more of that energy on the disc.
Arrangements are pretty, but a little heavy on folk-fiddle and guitar. This is the Appalachian Disney album. :)

All in all, it is a well sung, very pleasant collection with a couple outstanding tracks. I'm sure I'll come to appreciate it more with repeat listenings.

Videos