Rent cast on the Tonys!

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#1Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:19pm

Loved the performance!! It was so great to see the original and current casts together and to hear the original cast talk about Jonathan!! But where was Jesse L. Martin? Or did I just miss him?

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#2re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:30pm

Jesse wasn't there.

I thought the performance was lackluster and rushed. And seriously tacky for the Idina fans to interrupt her to screech.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

SAluva2 Profile Photo
SAluva2
#2re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:38pm

Yeah I was wondering about that. But there was all that hype and all they did was sing seasons of love?? And did no one else find it a little strange that the current cast performed...I dont know it seemed like it was taking the attention away from the OBC which was what Im sure what most people wanted to se. just my opinon...

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#3re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/15/08 at 11:47pm

I thought it was boring I really expected much more. Since this would be there last time together on the tonys. I thought they would do a whole song.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#4re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:11am

i agree, i was slightly disappointed.
the OBC should have been the ones to do la vie boheme.
the current cast seemed out of place.. i honestly don't think they were what the hype was about, haha.

but, i always am a fan of the OBC coming together, it's nice to see. re: Rent cast on the Tonys!

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

rubyslippersxo
#5re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:13am

I thought the performance was sweet, but it was really tacky to cheer for Idina like that.
Updated On: 6/16/08 at 12:13 AM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#6re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:16am

I was very disappointed as well. I expected so much more. I actually got confused when "La Vie Boheme" started because I knew Anthony Rapp was supposed to be singing, but he wasn't. That's when I figured out that was the now cast. Yeah, the cheering for Idina was very annoying. She doesn't make up the original cast.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

jerseyboyschick2 Profile Photo
jerseyboyschick2
#7re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:18am

I also think the OBC should've done La Vie Boheme. But I just loved the way Anthony came out and introduced the OBC.
The Idina cheers were uncalled for though.
Gotta love Taye's bowtie:)

"You will understand that Bww is a forum that allows Theatre people, Fussy old Queens, and chorus boys of Mama Mia to release their everyday life's frustration by being Snarky, B**chy, and sarcastic." -BwayBoundJoe
Updated On: 6/16/08 at 12:18 AM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#8re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:35am

Folks, the OBC is a decade older and totally unrehearsed to do the full number. And frankly, they probably didn't want to hurt themselves doing that number again. (Movie doesn't count, they can't call cut live!)

But I think it's great to show the (mostly) final cast, sort of bridge the gap between the older and the younger spirits of the show.

(But to be snarky for a minute, did anyone else notice a screech in the middle of La Vie Boheme, then remember Eden Espinoza is in the cast and realize it was her?)

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

crushgroove
#9re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:40am

They performed live at the Rent 10 concert...and it's a show that EVERYONE KNOWS...especially them...that isn't an excuse not to do a full number. I just didn't think it was tribute enough. I would have liked a small montage or a 2 or 3 minute documentary.

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#10re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:46am

Crushgroove I think they should have showed a montage to or performed a little longer. They should have showed everyone why they have been on broadway for 12 years. It was hyped up for nothing I think. I would have loved to see them do the whole La Vie Boheme scene.

jaso937
#11re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 12:58am

I agree with everyone (i didnt hear the screech in La Vie Boheme but did notice Eden Espinosa (and found your comment hilarous))I expected alittle more though felt the speeched given were very hearttouching. More singing should have been done though

italianpride888
#12re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 1:06am

I feel the performance was totally 1996 Tony Awards with RENT. It was weird they were using the current cast. Bummer that Jesse couldn't be there.

P.S. The Angel in La vie Boheme did not look like Justin, or maybe that was just me. idk.. It was a little pathetic, there should have been more.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#13re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 1:17am

For some reason I thought that the tempo in La Vie Boheme was a bit slower then it actually is.

I don't think that the cheering for Idina was that of a typical crazy Idina fan. I think that they were cheering because she is a Tony winner and it is the Tonys that they were performing at.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

bluetuna
#14re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 1:21am

I agree with those who thought it was rushed. They skipped the vast majority of "La Vie Boheme", and "Seasons of Love" was also really abridged.

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#15re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 1:22am

Patti in the audience was the best part of that number.

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

SporkGoddess
#16re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 1:23am

It was pretty disappointing, and I'm not even a RENT fan.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#17re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 1:27am

I thought it was alright, but not nearly enough to pay a fitting tribute to the brilliance of Larson.

That being said, I also loved Patti and her claps. re: Rent cast on the Tonys!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#18re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 1:27am

I don't think that the cheering for Idina was that of a typical crazy Idina fan. I think that they were cheering because she is a Tony winner and it is the Tonys that they were performing at.

Then why didn't they scream for Wilson? He's a Tony winner too. re: Rent cast on the Tonys! Don't try to make excuses, they screamed because they were Idina fans, no other reason.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#19re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 1:33am

I am not trying to make excuses.

Wilson is a tony winner and won for Rent. But, unlike Idina he hasn't had a strong carrear after doing Rent. Idina had made a name for herself before Wicked and became a bigger name after doing Wicked and having won the Tony for it. Idina has been all around the NY theatre scene before and after Wicked (after Wicked doing See What I wanna See) she has a long list of Broadway credits as well as a Tony. When it comes to Wilson all he really has is Rent and unfortunatly nothing else.

It isn't because they were all Idina fans. It was because she won a Tony and is a recent and memorable win. Wilson's win however well deserved isn't and will never be as memorable as Idina winning the award.

To top it off. I have trouble beleaving that Idina fans would fork out 300 plus bucks just to see her onstage for five minuets with the cast of Rent.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Updated On: 6/16/08 at 01:33 AM

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/16/08 at 1:36am

Updated On: 5/4/09 at 01:36 AM

misschung
#21re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 2:23am

"To top it off. I have trouble beleaving that Idina fans would fork out 300 plus bucks just to see her onstage for five minuets with the cast of Rent. "

I think they have their ways of infiltrating the system and getting there.

Anyway, I thought the whole thing was a let down. I mean, the cast looked great, but I expected more. It felt rushed and not at all different than a performance from one of the other nominated shows.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#22re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 3:23am

Most of the cast looked great. Anthony looked horrid.

Kass983 Profile Photo
Kass983
#23re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 3:49am

I thought Anthony looked adorable! Wilson on the other hand looked like death warmed over.

Antisocialite Profile Photo
Antisocialite
#24re: Rent cast on the Tonys!
Posted: 6/16/08 at 3:50am

By the way Daphne is gorgeous. HAH.
Also, OH MY GOD FREDI WALKER'S ALIVE.

Also also, the best part of this performance was Patti LuPone's face.

Burn the witch
The witch is dead
Burn the witch
Just bring me back her head
Updated On: 6/16/08 at 03:50 AM

Videos