pixeltracker

Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement

Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#1Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 1:48pm

Other discussions about cell phones and similar distractions interrupting shows, prompts me to ask -- what is the best pre-curtain announcement you've heard for the issue?

For Omnium Gatherum off-Broadway a few years ago, I liked the speech that went something like this: "Normally at this time we would be asking the audience to turn off their cellphones and to unwrap their candies, but since this is a particularly intelligent show and we assume the audience is also, we are not making such an announcement tonight". Nevertheless, the couple behind me spent half the play unwrapping cellophane candies. After the show, I turned and said, "I guess the opening announcement was wrong to assume about an intelligent audience?"

I also liked seeing Do I Hear a Waltz at Pasadena Playhouse when the entire announcement was made in Italian. The only words that came out clearly in English were "cell phone" and "candy wrappers" and "photographs". It all got a big laugh, but seemed to work. Updated On: 7/3/08 at 01:48 PM

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#2re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 1:51pm

Just to let you know, there's already another thread on this.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=930259#3426773

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise
Updated On: 7/3/08 at 01:51 PM

#2re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 1:55pm

Welcome to Patti LuPone Gypsy! If you touch your cellphone during this performance, Patti will leap into the audience and confiscate your phone...and the hand you are holding it in!
Updated On: 7/3/08 at 01:55 PM

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#3re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 1:59pm

JoeKv99, imagine if they really said that. How many people in the audience would have their phones out?

You know how some announcements say, please unwrap your candy now..and people start laughing and think it's some kind of joke. It is no joke.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#4re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:00pm

The Drama Desk Awards when Kristen Chenoweth said something like...
If You Don't Turn Your Cell Phones off I swear, I will make this mother 8 hours.....

It is on youtube and it makes me laugh every time!

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

#5re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:07pm

Theatre these days should take a cue from golf tournaments. You are not even allowed to have a cellphone on your person (at least at the event I went to). They have a "coat check" kind of area before you enter, in case you forgot to leave it behind.(most golf fans seem to know the rules already) If you get caught with your phone (even if it's off), you are ejected. Not really realistic for theatre, but it would be nice..

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#6re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:24pm

At the preview of the Mamma Mia movie there was a security guy checking everyone's cell phone to make sure it was off before you could enter the theater. It was funny because once people were inside they just turned them back on.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#7re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:29pm

I don't think my favorite one has been presented yet. It will be the one that actually WORKS.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#8re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:39pm

Ahhh, there was a lovely one at the RSC's Histories Cycle. It must've been just before '1 Henry VI' on the Saturday (although it could've been 'Richard III' on the Sunday, in which case the numbers would have been different; seven and one, instead of four and four). Most of the audience had already been there for 'Richard II' on Thursday and all the 'Henry IV'/'Henry V' on Friday, so kinda knew the drill. I *wish* I could remember which cast member it was; one of the older gentlemen. He came out onstage and basically mimed "four down, four to go. Anyone who's been with us from the start, we love you, and please switch off your mobile phones". There was mucho applause, and no phone rings. re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement

Shakespeare's Globe is another one that reminds you mobile phones haven't been existed in the time the play is set. But it carries a bit more weight in a replicated Elizabethan theatre. :3

Updated On: 7/3/08 at 02:39 PM

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#9re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:41pm

THE HISTORY BOYS used to be something along the lines of "Cell phones ringing in a theatre is now against the law!"

MTC Biltmore simply has a cell-phone ring-tone ring over the house speakers 3 times during the 30-mins prior to curtain.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#10re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:43pm

I loved the overture to CRY-BABY, where the announcements were all made a part of it.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

dramagirl487
#11re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:48pm

the Legally Blonde one is the most memorable for me. It kinda made me want to kill myself =)

dramagirl487
#12re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:48pm

the Legally Blonde one is the most memorable for me. It kinda made me want to kill myself =)

rich.hanson59
#13re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:04pm

I second the Cry-Baby announcement.

#14re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:22pm

I hated the Legally Blonde announcement.

I loved the Cry-Baby announcement.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#15re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:25pm

Light in the Piazza always made my laugh.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

tourboi
#16re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:26pm

I love the MAMMA MIA announcement and "warning" for audience members of nervous dispositions.

Also REALLY liked the Boston HIGH FIDELITY announcement, crude and to the point!

Kev14 Profile Photo
Kev14
#17re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:33pm

The Light in the Piazza announcement was the best!

Upcoming Shows: Quilters, A Bronx Tale, August: Osage County, Wicked, Spring Awakening, Little House on the Prairie

gypsy4
#18re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:55pm

I like the pre announcement during hairspray it's funny.

AStack75 Profile Photo
AStack75
#19re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 7:05pm

Not Broadway but the pre-show announcements for the Cirque du Soleil shows "Ka" and "O" in Las Vegas are pretty good.

JKlock Profile Photo
JKlock
#20re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 7:22pm

Grey Gardens and Spamalot!

http://two-sails.blogspot.com/

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#21re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 7:55pm

Kristen Chenoweth's Announcement

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#22re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 8:19pm

Wow, she's crazy!
I knew she was funny but christ that opener is hilarious.
"27 winners are going to leave very happy and 137 nominees will leave bitter and consider getting out of the business."
and talk about that song.
I didn't think I could love her more.

Anyway I like Roundabout's preshow announcement which is just a bunch of ringtones piling up one after another. I heard it in 3penny, dunno what other shows they use it in.
And Boy From Oz's "ejector seat" quip was hilarious.

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

bwayguy22089
ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#24re: Favorite Pre-Curtain, anti-cell phone announcement
Posted: 7/3/08 at 8:34pm

Anyone care to share the Cry-Baby one?