Am I Being Creepy?

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#1Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:13pm

I have recently taken to adding some actors that I admire on facebook, along with a a message explaining that I'm a fan and not some random creep. I was just wondering if you guys think this is a invasion of their privacy, or is it fine?

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#2re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:16pm

Well, it really depends on the privacy factor of their account. Like if they put a link to it on their official website, then it is obvious they put it up for fans. If they just have a facebook account because everyone does, it is a little bit, I guess.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

NGD47 Profile Photo
NGD47
#2re: Am I Being Creepy?

Most of my Myspace friends are actors. I just mostly use it for news from the Horse's mouth.

Formerly Defyingravity07

< It ain't pretty, but she sure is

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#3re: Am I Being Creepy?

You don't need to add a note, I think they understand that your a fan. I'm friends with a few. I hope it's not creepy.

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#4re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:17pm

I have met a few performers who have said that they only add people they work with on facebook. So, I assume if they DO add you, they dont mind it. I don't think it's creepy.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#5re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:17pm

If it's someone from A TALE OF TWO CITIES, I assume that'd expect it, considering when you look at the cast pages they give links to both Facebook & Myspace pages.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:29pm

Exactly -- the 'person' has to accept to be added as a 'friend'. If they add you, it is their doing, regardless of whatever.

I get tons of 'friend' requests but I only accept people I know personally. They have this option as well.

gypsyrose2 Profile Photo
gypsyrose2
#7re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:47pm

Just out of interest who responded positively?

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#8re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:53pm

Today I found a few of the actor's Facebooks, and a few have already approved me. I think lots of them get so many requests they don't even bother with them. So either they ignore them or accept them all.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#9re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 10:57pm

There are actors out there who use their facebook/myspace for their friends/family and for fans as well. I have run into a couple who's profile I could just see if I wanted to because I am in the same network as they are (New York City). Keep in mind that on facebook one of the privicy settings you can set up is to have your profile be viewable only to people that are in your network. So, if you live in NYC you can see some actor's profiles without "friending" them.

I do think that Tale of Two Cities is the first show that I can think of where they put a link to the actors myspace or facebook pages.

Speaking of that show, I IM'd via facebook one of the actresses in the show and we ended up having a lovely conversation. She told me that I should IM her whenever she is on despite the fact that there are times that she told me that she would be signed on but not at her computer. When I saw her at the stage door she gave me a VERY warm hello and chatted with me for a bit. There are some actors out there who love talking to the fans.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#10re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 11:05pm

Well I'm friends with Gavin Creel on Facebook..he sent me a message not too long ago thanking me for buying his CD. I'm also friends with Kerry Ellis, Shoshana Bean, and Harley Jay. I recently friend requested John Tartaglia as well.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#11re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 11:07pm

I thought that Kerry Ellis was very private about her facbook. On her website (I believe it is under the contact section) It says Kerry Ellis does NOT (yes the word not was in caps) have a facebook. I knew she had one after searching. But, I get the impression that she put up as many security features as you can. I would get the impression that by her telling her fans on her website that she doesn't have one she doesn't want people to look for her on there.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

je veux te voir2 Profile Photo
je veux te voir2
#12re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 11:10pm

ur not creepy. some of them accept fan requests, some of them don't. thats how it is. lol. I'm friends with a few on fbook too.

Shannon Bo Dannon
#13re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 11:11pm

Well Kerry accepted the friend request..could be a fake though..hmm

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#14re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/1/08 at 11:13pm

Not creepy at all, actors would never make a living, without an audience and fans.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

puppet
#15re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 12:09am

I have a few of the cast in the tour of AVENUE Q as friends on Facebook and they are very friendly. They don't always reply to messages, but I know they are busy with the shows and traveling. There is the option to block a sender, so if they didn't want to have you as a friend, you could be blocked.

CateBroadway Profile Photo
CateBroadway
#16re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 12:27am

Creepy? Sweetie, you must not have been on the site earlier today when Emma Zaks/MTF3 was on a rampage. You have no idea what creepy is

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#17re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 12:30am

Kerry Ellis doesn't have a facebook. It says so on her website.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#18re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 12:37am

Some people (like Sara Ramirez re: Am I Being Creepy?), have two accounts, one for fans and one that is private. They won't accept people they don't know to their main account, but the fan one is for anyone. If they accept you, it's completely cool. I have gotten a few great heads ups about things I may not have heard about otherwise.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#19re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 12:40am

insertclevernamehere, if you search Kerry's name on facebook it is clear that she does in fact have one. I think that the reason why she stated that she didn't have on on her website was to avoid her fans looking for her there and that way she could have her privicy there. However Shannon Bo Dannon said that they sent a request to view her profile and she said yes. So I don't know.

rgaywrites Profile Photo
rgaywrites
#20re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 1:10am

There is nothing private about the Internet.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#21re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 1:26am

Winston, I think that the facebook account was made by a fan pretending to be Kerry which happens alot. I could be wrong, because I'm not friends with Kerry but her website said she did NOT have a facebook. Why bother lying if she was going to add fans anyway?

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

Shannon Bo Dannon
#22re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 1:51am

It's hard to tell if it's a fake or not. She has a photo album of her in a recording studio for her CD that look personal (but maybe they could be found on a bunch of different sites..I'm too lazy to check). But she also has her "View Photos of Kerry" and Wall Posts options not accessible that could only be for her real friends? Who knows.

But either way it doesn't matter much to me, I'm just happy that I got to meet her after Wicked last month. =] Updated On: 9/2/08 at 01:51 AM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#23re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 3:05am

insertclevernamehere, I am very good at figuring out the fake facebook/myspace accounts vs the real ones. The one thing that is letting me believe that it is her real account is this. That it is clear that she has taken every single security measure that facebook allows. Most of the time, when it is an account created by a fan they don't even do that. They let the account be open for anyone.

And, I also don't think that if it were a fake account they would block who can or can't post on the wall.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#24re: Am I Being Creepy?
Posted: 9/2/08 at 6:41am

I think... if they didn't want to be FaceBook friends, they wouldn't add you back. I understand your concern; there's an ensemble of actors who I think are wonderful and would love to keep up with, and I've found some of them on FaceBook. Every day, I sit and I think "just message them, explain you're a fan, and ask for an add. If they ignore you, then accept it as rejection and don't bother them anymore. If they add you, then it's because they're okay with that so there's no need to fret". But I too am worried about coming off as a creepster, so... I'm still thinking and worrying. I mean, it's one thing to say "just do it and you'll find out if they think it's creepy or not!", it's QUITE another to actually do it!