pixeltracker

What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?

What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?

charmer88 Profile Photo
charmer88
#1What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 3:31pm

What films do you think would transfer well as a musical? Some of them have got to be better ideas than what's been coming out lately.

If you're like me and you've already thought about it a bit and made your "ideal" cast add that too What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?

A few that I think would make

Down With Love - Hugh Jackman (Catcher Block) & Kendra Kassebaum (Barbara NovaK)

A Walk To Remember - Matt Doyle (Landon), Celia Keenan Bolger (Jamie)

The First Wives Club
Mermaids
The Object of My Affection
Pretty In Pink (would be great and campy and 80s love)

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#2re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 3:34pm

For today's creators? Anything mediocre but popular and femme-centric will do.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#2re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 3:37pm

"The Bigger the Better"
"The Young and the Hung"
"Powertool"
Any film by Cobra Video

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#3re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 3:49pm

"Down With Love - Hugh Jackman (Catcher Block) & Kendra Kassebaum (Barbara NovaK)

A Walk To Remember - Matt Doyle (Landon), Celia Keenan Bolger (Jamie)"

I don't think Kendra is the right fit. After seeing her in Wicked, she seems a bit too old to play Barbara. Same with Celia.

I think:

Down with Love (with a Marc Shaiman score)
Barbara: Kristen Bell/ Becky Gulsvig/ or Megan Hilty
Catcher: Andy Karl/ Matt Cavenaugh/ Jason Patrick Sands
Vikki: Leslie Kritzer/Jenny Powers/Heidi Blickenstaff
Peter: NPH/Jesse Tyler Ferguson/Christopher Hanke

Mean Girls (I've posted my dream cast to death)

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#4re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 3:52pm

I love your Down with Love cast winter_sky..I think that movie would translate so well on stage.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#5re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 4:03pm

Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, definitely. I really like what I've seen of the German production, "Der Gloeckner von Notre Dame," and I feel like of all of the Disney musicals, Hunchback's the best suited for the stage... no magic, grandiose sets, songs that aren't necessarily what you'd call 'classic Disney.'

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

WOSQ
#7re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 4:17pm

None.

It is a trend that peaked decades ago (Promises, Promises?) and is now simply live regurgitation from another medium.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

HollyDiver
#8re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 4:18pm

The cartoon- The Prince Of Egypt! It would be a brilliant musical. Brian Stokes Mitchell actually sings in it, and I wouldn't mind seeing him in it live!

I'd rather be reckless than rockless.

Roscoe
#9re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 4:20pm

SEX AND THE CITY -- the musical.

Score by Frank Wildhorn
book by Terrence McNally

Directed and choreographed by Rob Marshall.

It is only a matter of time....

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#10re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 4:32pm

Carrie: Lindsay Nicole Chambers
Charlotte: Chryssie Whitehead
Miranda: Leslie Kritzer
Samantha: Andrea Burns

Not my best, but I tried. re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#11re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 4:52pm

Ooh, I love Prince of Egypt. With a few more songs added, it could be golden. After all, I feel like there are so many biblical musicals, but Prince of Egypt was always my favourite.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#12re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 4:59pm

I am with WOSQ. None. I would like to see all original shows for a season or two!

Just give the world Love.

#13re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 5:15pm

I really hope they eventually put Mean Girls on Broadway

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#14re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 5:58pm

I just watched this yesterday, it was such an amazing film and it played so much like a classic comedy of errors that the first half seemed to have been lifted off the stage:

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

It'd work fine as either a play or a musical, it's almost in the same vein as Millie, which was a smash hit. I wouldn't be suprised to see someone developing this in the next few years
a cast off the top of my head
Miss Pettigrew- Donna Murphy
Delysia Lafosse- spunky soprano ingenue w/ crazy comedic timing
Edythe Dubarry- Stephanie D'Abruzzo/Alli Mauzey
Michael Pardue- any hunky dreamboat with an edge
Joe Blumfield- Edward Hibbert

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott
Updated On: 9/16/08 at 05:58 PM

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#15re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:28pm

That Thing You Do!

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#16re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/11/08 at 7:48pm

Pink Flamingos!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#18re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 4:56am

Mean Girls without a doubt. There are so many scenes in that film that could just so easily be sung (I've always imagined a song called "Fetch!").

Oddly enough, I really think something like Pan's Labyrinth could be cramazing onstage. Difficult? Yes. Mind-boggling fantastic if in the hands of the right director? Oh yeah. Just imagine the sets and costumes. And as it is the film interweaves fantasy, reality, happiness, and sorrow so well that I think it would fit well into a musical.

And even though I know that 90% of the appeal of the original film is the way its shot/presented, but I really think Requiem for a dream would make an interesting play if staged correctly. Obviously they couldn't have any of the crazy cuts or the frenzy of the film, but at the core of the story, it's really just the triumph of addiction over the human spirit and I think that would make for an interesting show.

Li'l_Devil Profile Photo
Li'l_Devil
#19re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 8:28am

"An American in Paris"

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#20re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 10:11am

An American in Paris just premiered as a stage musical in Houston at the Alley Theatre to solid reviews.

I have been saying for years I wanted to see Heart and Souls as a Broadway musical. It has such potential. I'm not interested in seeing Down With Love. The film was a bit of a mediocre let-down and I don't think another Doris Day/Rock Hudson battle-of-the-sexes story would bring anything fresh or new to Broadway. Personally, I'd prefer a revival of something from the era such as Do Re Mi.

I also think a musical version of Too Many Crooks, the inspiration for Ruthless People, could be a hoot.

And:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Freaky Friday
Love Me or Leave Me

It is a trend that peaked decades ago (Promises, Promises?) and is now simply live regurgitation from another medium.

As are most musicals. A very small percentage of musicals have original books which makes them regurgitations of several different types of media.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#21re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 1:56pm

aww I would love a That Thing You Do musical.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#22re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 2:02pm

I thought I would hate most of these ideas and some of them I'm not fond of but I love, love, love the idea of DOWN WITH LOVE as a musical.

I actually adored the film and it would work so well onstage.

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#23re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 2:04pm

I'd totally pay to see That Thing You Do! and Mean Girls as musicals.

Does anyone else think Disney's Hercules would work on stage? I was listening to the soundtrack and thinking how amazing Susan Egan sounds during "I Won't Say I'm In Love," and Roger Bart sounds great in "Go the Distance."

Maybe it's just cause they're amazing broadway people that I'm visualizing it.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#24re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 2:13pm

Down With Love
Breakfast At Tiffany's (done better than before)

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Roscoe
#25re: What Films Would You Like to See On Stage?
Posted: 9/12/08 at 2:15pm

I wish they'd just leave the poor movies alone. After sitting through all I could stomach of that 39 STEPS horror, the idea of seeing a movie I admire dragged through the slime of theatrical translation really makes me nauseous.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Videos