pixeltracker

Best Note on Broadway Ever- Page 4

Best Note on Broadway Ever

BudFrump23 Profile Photo
BudFrump23
#75re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 9/19/08 at 9:28pm

I would have to agree wholeheartedly with the Stephanie Mills note in "The Wiz." I love it!

Also, Melba Moore singing "I Got Love" from Purlie is pretty spectacular. She hits multiple notes which give me the chills, but I think the best part is in the beginning when she sings "Love, love, love, etc." and hits the really high Love note. Beautiful!!

I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#76re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 10/1/08 at 7:02pm

You know, the straightest note on Broadway was probably Barbra Streisand's last "dance" at the end of "The Music That Makes Me Dance." (I think it's a B natural.) Take that, vibrato thread! lol

crc03772 Profile Photo
crc03772
#77re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 10/1/08 at 8:16pm

As much as everyone hate this show, I loved Michael Ball's B-flat at the end of Love Changes Everything in Aspects of Love, and it's NOT easy to sing (believe me i've performed it a couple of times). I also, LOOOOOVE, the way Andrea Burns starts Carnaval del Barrio, not a high note, just a whole lot of damn power behind the two vocal notes that start that song.

kissynose
#78re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 10/1/08 at 8:28pm

Even though I dont think Wicked is the greatest show ever..seeing Idina sing Wizard an I live was amazing. The last note just hung in the air as it echoed through the theater.

Only other time I was that amazed was when You heard Randy Graff sing I dreamed a Dream live.

markus907
#79re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 10/1/08 at 9:10pm

I agree with pretty much everything, but have to add the following:
-Sutton's highest yodel in "Roll In the Hay." Not only is it great to hear her head voice, which we don't get enough of, but how the girl can support and hold that note while bouncing up and down on a rickety hay cart baffles me.
-Not technically Broadway, but Julia Murney in Evita: "Just listen to that, the voice of Argentina. We are adored; we are loved!" Some of the best placement and belting done by her in the show. Practically my favorite moment.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#80re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 6:02pm

I can't believe it's been almost four years since I started this thread! Wow, how time flies. But I saw "Newsies" last night, and I have to say that Jeremy Jordan's last note before the intermission (the "Santa Fe" reprise) deserves to be on this list, IMHO. (Is it an A, maybe?) I'm wondering, what else has happened in the last four years that may be the Best Note on Broadway Ever? OR anything from the past that we forgot before. Discuss! re: Best Note on Broadway Ever

broadwayrob
#81re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 6:17pm

Yeah.. Maggie's last note in "At The Ballet".. will forever be my favorite note sung on Broadway... assuming that it's done well. :)

anything you do let it come from you and it will be new.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#82re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 6:56pm

I always loved the final "Gudio" in "A Call From The Vatican" from Nine. It's almost orgasmic (probably the intention).

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#83re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:01pm

"GuuiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIdooooo!"

I know you. I know you. I know you.

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#84re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:11pm

Some notes that I find positively thrilling:

"I KNOW!" - Love Can't Happen (David Carroll)
"Don't be aFRAID!" - Everybody Says Don't
"Before my PAST" - Meadowlark
"All the things you are *BEAT* ARE MINE!" - All the Things You Are
"When I GO" - Cabaret
"Now I underSTAND" - Moments in the Woods (Joanna Gleason)
"And SUddenly, nothing is the same" - He Touched Me
"Sarah come DOWN TO ME" - New Music
"Take a look at my eyES" - Petrified
"Mama, mama, maMA" - The I Love You Song

geaj Profile Photo
geaj
#85re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:17pm

It's perhaps not the best note ever, but I always enjoy listening to someone sing Barret's Song from Titanic. When he builds at the end.."For the record speed I believe we srtive. For the madien ship that's too hard to drive when you push her faster than seventy-five!" I love when they hit seventy-five and the whole song drops immediately to a softer ending.

SweeneyPhanatic
#86re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:48pm

It's not on Broadway yet, but I have played the second-act title number from "Rebecca" far too many times on repeat just to hear Mrs. Danvers' BIG note at the end again, and again. There's a video of the Stuttgart cast performing songs from the show on what appears to be the facade of a big, pretty building (is it the theatre?). In that video, Pia Douwes hits that note like it's NOTHING. I don't know how to describe it. When I listen to the original cast recordings, I can tell it's the money note moment, but when I hear Pia sing it in that performance it simply...happens. Like breathing. Nothing in her face or stance says (to me, at least) that the note is coming. She just opens her mouth and it falls out.

I have no musical training, so I can't describe it well, but does anyone understand what I'm saying?
It happens just after the 3 minute mark.

-- SDG

broadwayfreak4 Profile Photo
broadwayfreak4
#87re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:48pm

Sutton's final "off" in Show Off Reprise from Drowsy Chaperone!

Also, Eden Espinosa's final "right" at the end of Once Upon a Time. Beautiful song in general!!

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#88re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 9:03pm

Part of Your World (reprise) from The Little Mermaid always final "world" always gives me goosebump...In my opinion TLM has one of the most beautiful scores of ALL TIME...what a shame the stage production turned into such a mess. I would pay top dollar to see a concert production of The Little Mermaid with a full orchestra.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#89re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 9:05pm

THE RINK. That friggin' note Chita hits when she sings "scratch my back" during The Apple Doesn't Fall Very Far From The tree. Surely it's the lowest note ever hit by a female in Broadway history?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#90re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 9:08pm

Part of Your World (reprise) from The Little Mermaid always final "world" always gives me goosebumps as well as Sherrie Renè Scott's Poor Unfortunate Souls (not faith prince who spoke through it I want a full belt) ...In my opinion TLM has one of the most beautiful scores of ALL TIME...what a shame the stage production turned into such a mess. I would pay top dollar to see a concert production of The Little Mermaid with a full orchestra, Sherrie Reneè Scott, and no costumes or props.

Jon
#91re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 9:17pm

No one has mentioned Nancy Opel's "A Privilege to Pee" from URINETOWN. She had a couple of unbvelievable high belt notes in that.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#92re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 9:46pm

So someone finally mentions "Gethsemane," and they have to rely on Steve Balsamo's wimpy falsetto. I say, buzz off, Balsamo. Only one guy owns this role for me, and contrary to popular opinion, I insist he got better with age. His voice gained depth, and had a gritty texture to it that gave the high notes extra punch. Whenever I saw him, the years fell off of him like scales.

It's always the same vowel that gets me with Ted Neeley.

In "The Temple": "MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY temple should be a house of prayer..."
In "Gethsemane": "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY should I die?"

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

beltingbaritone Profile Photo
beltingbaritone
#93re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 9:48pm

SweeneyPhanatic, I just downloaded the recording available on iTunes. I'm obsessed. Thank you!

Men don't even belt.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#94re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 11:00pm

Patti's "B flat" in "Together Wherever We Go"

Outoftowner2
#95re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/21/12 at 11:18pm

I agree with g.d.e.l.g.i. Neeley's "myyyy" and "whyyy".
I don't know that he ever did it on Broadway..but there's the movie and what, 2000? other times all over the country.

theminutepast
#96re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/22/12 at 7:55am

I agree with so many of these. I want to add that I love the final three notes in 'Rosemary' from the 1995 revival of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. It always gives me chills.

fosca3 Profile Photo
fosca3
#97re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/22/12 at 9:39am

Someone else mentioned the end of 'Lily's Eyes', with Mandy Patinkin

To me, the most beautiful note I've ever heard is the end of 'Lily's Eyes', sung by Philip Quast and Anthony Warlow

You don't go to the dragon without a present - Mark Rylance

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#98re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/22/12 at 11:36am

Betty Buckley's "AHHHHHH-MEEEEEEEENNNN!!" at the end of Eve Was Weak in Carrie.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

coverboyz Profile Photo
coverboyz
#99re: Best Note on Broadway Ever
Posted: 7/22/12 at 1:53pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned Heather Headly in Aida doing "It's E-NOUGH" at the end of Dance of the Robe!

Also, Elder Cunningham's last note in "I Believe".