pixeltracker

Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....

Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....

BenKaye Profile Photo
BenKaye
#1Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:02pm

Gypsy
In The Heights
The Little Mermaid
South Pacific
Young Frankenstein

Where the hell is Passing Strange?!?!

My blog- http://okayentertainment.blogspot.com/

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#2re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:03pm

Where it should be... not on the list.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:05pm

Hmm...IN THE HEIGHTS?

SOUTH PACIFIC's was gorgeous but the Best Musical winner most always wins.

RoxieRose4 Profile Photo
RoxieRose4
#3re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:08pm

Wicked beat out Ave. Q. I'm hoping for Gypsy but chances are they won't even get a mention. Either way I don't watch them any way.

Shows: Cats- ?/??/97 & 3/16/04, 42nd St.- 1/3/06, The Producers- 12/13/06, Hairspray- 3/6/07, Phantom- 4/18/07, Gypsy- 10/21/07, Annie- 11/28/07, Chicago- 1/6/08, Dirty Rotten ...- 2/24/08, Legally Blonde- 4/23/08, Wicked- 10/29/08, Mamma Mia!- 11/12/08

Future Shows
Hairspray- 1/22/09, Drowsy Chaperone- 2/15/09, Sweeney Todd- 4/19/09, Ain't Misbehavin'- 5/17/09

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#4re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:10pm

Would this mark the first Grammy win for Sh-k-boom/Ghostlight?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:10pm

Do the 2 disk CDs currently sold in Barnes+Noble have that disgusting volume peak issue (Gypsy 200re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album.... or has this been fixed now?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#6re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:29pm

I'm with you, BenKaye. The finest musical of the past season.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

husk_charmer
#7re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:30pm

^ Supposed to be fixed.

I hope anything but Mermaid takes it. That glitch during the "Part of Your World (Reprise)" should have disqualified it.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

mattrob Profile Photo
mattrob
#8re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:34pm

what volume peak thing?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:40pm

The IN THE HEIGHTS album is wonderful, but THE LITTLE MERMAID, really? Ugh.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

thejoeyOshow
#10re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:43pm

TLM is simple...the Grammys LOVE Alan Menken...like would marry him if given the chance.

www.youtube.com/thejoeyoshow

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#11re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:44pm

[Hello?] [TOS?]

PEACE.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#12re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:45pm

Also note the presence of Patti LuPone and Audra McDonald in the Best Classical Album and Best Opera Recording categories, for their "Mahagonny" recording in Los Angeles. I believe that if the recording wins, they would get Grammys as lead artists on the recording. I think that's how those specific categories work. Crazy, right?

And the Best Musical Tony winner wins the Grammy about half the time, actually.

But this is an interesting year for the Musical Show category, no?

Paul W. Thompson
#13re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:48pm

Oh, also note that "Sweeney Todd" and "Mamma Mia" are up against each other for Best Compilation Soundtrack.

Thoughts? I KNOW there are thoughts! :)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#14re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:54pm

the Mahagonny thing has me confused: is there a CD of it? or...does it count because it's on DVD? I'm very much not in the know with the Grammys.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

RoxieRose4 Profile Photo
RoxieRose4
#15re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:55pm

I want to see Donna wipe the floor with Mrs. Lovett.

Shows: Cats- ?/??/97 & 3/16/04, 42nd St.- 1/3/06, The Producers- 12/13/06, Hairspray- 3/6/07, Phantom- 4/18/07, Gypsy- 10/21/07, Annie- 11/28/07, Chicago- 1/6/08, Dirty Rotten ...- 2/24/08, Legally Blonde- 4/23/08, Wicked- 10/29/08, Mamma Mia!- 11/12/08

Future Shows
Hairspray- 1/22/09, Drowsy Chaperone- 2/15/09, Sweeney Todd- 4/19/09, Ain't Misbehavin'- 5/17/09

Paul W. Thompson
#16re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:59pm

This would apparently be the CD issue of the Weill piece on the EuroArts label. Here's the link:

http://content.grammy.com/grammy_awards/51st_show/list.aspx#30

Categories 98 and 100 are the ones in question.

Also check out 81-84 for the show and movie categories.
Updated On: 12/3/08 at 10:59 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 10:59pm

I am also confused with Mahagonny. How is a DVD nominated? And would Patti LuPone be a Grammy winner, should it win?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#18re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 11:00pm

I have a feeling South Pacific will take it. It has received rave reviews from just about everyone, it's the first time the score has been recorded as a major studio album since the movie (which is terrible), and the use of the original orchestrations with the high quality sound of the modern technology is sure to tug at the heart strings of the grammy voters. I have a strong feeling SP takes this one. If not, it goes to In the Heights.

Paul W. Thompson
#19re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 11:04pm

Is that how I should vote, bjh? I'm a voter.......and I think there are other posters who are voters as well.

We had a good thread going (lol to "Merrily We Roll Along") in the fall about who the nominees should be, and it was pretty much in agreement that it should be SP, G, ITH and "Passing Strange." Well, guys, we got three out of four.

The fifth nominee was a total toss-up, but TLM and YF were strong contenders.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#20re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 11:07pm

"what volume peak thing?"

There would be distortions at high volume spots on the album.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#21re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 11:09pm

>it's the first time the score has been recorded as a major studio album since the movie<

What of...
The 1967 Lincoln Center recording with Florence Henderson and Giorgio Tozzi?
The 1986 studio recording with Kiri Te Kanawa and Jose Carreras?
The 1988 London cast recording with Gemma Craven and Emile Belcourt?
The 2-disc complete recording with Paige O'Hara and Justino Diaz?
The 2002 National Theatre recording with Lauren Kennedy and Philip Quast?
The 2006 Carnegie Hall recording with Reba McIntire and Brian Stokes Mitchell?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Updated On: 12/3/08 at 11:09 PM

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#22re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 11:14pm

Young Frankenstein and The Little Mermaid over Passing Strange.

Ew.

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#23re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 11:16pm

I hope anything but Mermaid takes it. That glitch during the "Part of Your World (Reprise)" should have disqualified it.

What's the glitch?

Paul W. Thompson
#24re: Grammy Nominees for Best Musical Show Album....
Posted: 12/3/08 at 11:17pm

Props to Smaxie.

However, the point that "South Pacific" has only been Grammy-honored in a Hall of Fame sort of way (the OBCR and "Some Enchanted Evening" separately as well, I believe) would lend some credence to the sentiment behind bjh's post.

Videos