SAM MENDES GYPSY

willrogers2008
#1SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:21pm

I would like to see Lupone in the brilliant Gypsy concept staging of Sam Mendes.

Usnavi Profile Photo
Usnavi
#2re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:25pm

re: SAM MENDES GYPSY

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#2re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:28pm

Eerrrr...

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#3re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:29pm

this thread is a waste of space...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:29pm

Everyone please ignore this.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#5re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 12:51pm

What concept staging? The Sam Mendes GYPSY was lackluster, lifeless, and without much of a concept. It was thoroughly disappointing. And my niece didn't like her only exposure to the show. So there.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Dollypop
#6re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 1:34pm

There's something to be said for the fact that Sam Mendes hasn't been on Broadway since that horrendous production.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

yeah
#7re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 1:37pm

Not really because neither has Bernadette Peters or Tammy Blanchard.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#8re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 2:30pm

>There's something to be said for the fact that Sam Mendes hasn't been on Broadway since that horrendous production.<

What about The Vertical Hour, which he directed?

And what hasn't been said much is that Laurents hampered or jettisoned just about every directorial idea that Mendes tried to incorporate into the 2003 production.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

PiraguaGuy2
#9re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 2:36pm

ME NO LIKE CHANGE
ME WANT LAURENTS TO DIRECT GYPSY EXACTLY WAY 1959 PRODUCTION WAS DONE
ME NO WANT TO SEE ESTABLISHED DIRECTORS TRY NEW IDEAS AND NEW TAKES ON CLASSIC WORKS

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#10re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 2:41pm

Oh for crap's sake.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#11re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 2:51pm

Kudos to Mendes for that clever bit having Dainty June whip-out that cigarette and light it after the Miss Cratchitt scene. Seeing her smoking that cigarette in that Dainty June get-up was a visual that spoke volumes about that character.

re: SAM MENDES GYPSY

Yankeefan007
#12re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 3:00pm

Didn't Peters lose her husband towards the end of the run, or was that after it closed?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#13re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 3:05pm

I think that was a year or two after the show closed.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#14re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 3:09pm

Gypsy closed May 30, 2004 and her husband died in a helicopter crash September 26, 2005. I believe she had quite a few concerts scheduled, which she cancelled (obviously).

". . . POP . . ."

willrogers2008
#15re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 3:13pm

PIRAGUAGUY2 IS NOT ALLERGIC TO DUST.LUCKY GUY.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#16re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 3:29pm

"Gypsy closed May 30, 2004 and her husband died in a helicopter crash September 26, 2005. I believe she had quite a few concerts scheduled, which she cancelled (obviously)."

I read on this very forum that she still went ahead with some of the shows. (Although never mentioned it during)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
#17re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 3:34pm

Dollypop:

There's something to be said for the fact that Sam Mendes hasn't been on Broadway since that horrendous production.

He directed the "The Vertical Hour" in 2006.

"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#18re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 5:53pm

What did we do to deserve this thread?

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#19re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 8:12pm

I think everything about the Mendes production was brilliant. The current production is like community theatre compared to that one, in my opinion. I guess people don't like subtlety and prefer stuff that's blatantly in your face. That goes for the performances and the production itself.

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#20re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 8:25pm

*Laughs and walks off stage (Ala Laura Benanti). Elphaba3 reaches for Bernadette's TONY, just as Marissa Jaret Winokur steals it away.*

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#21re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 8:29pm

I guess people don't like subtlety and prefer stuff that's blatantly in your face.

Clearly when you mention subtlety you're referring to the minimal, character-focused Laurents production, and when you mention blatantly in you face you're referring to the overblown Mendes production.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#22re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 8:31pm

Foster, come on. LuPone, Benanti, and Gaines are community theatre actors, what the hell do they know about subtle character focused acting???

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#23re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 8:38pm

Those hacks! I mean the have ONLY seven TONYS between them.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#24re: SAM MENDES GYPSY
Posted: 12/23/08 at 8:49pm

you do know Sam Mendes was interested in Patti for his production, don't you?

and Elphaba3, you really need to get a new argument other then preferring subtlety. you've trotted it out a few too many times.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad