pixeltracker

Rent tour; "two significant changes to the production"- Page 3

Rent tour; "two significant changes to the production"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#50re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 3:09am

Maybe they cut Angel coming out to sing in the finale.

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#51re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 3:34am

The most moving thing ever was in the Swedish production (A crap production unfortunately)....In "Goodbye Love" , if I remember correctly, Angel is seen stripping off all his makeup. Going from the glamorous and beautiful Angel, to the naked and dying Angel. Absolutely gorgeously staged (hmmm, I can write better than that...what a bad sentence) and incredibly moving!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#52re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 4:42am

Charleston, the other (serious) ideas were:

1. Starting off with Halloween or Seasons of Love

2. Turning up the volume

3. Adding Love Heals (which, imo, is a terrible song)

4. Changing Mimi's pants

what?

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

BrassBandBoy
#53re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 6:18am

To add my two cents to the Mimi dying discussion:

In the (absolutely horrid) production of RENT over here in the Netherlands Mimi did die at the end.

Ivo van Hove (the guy who directed this bloody mess) had the wonderful idea of having a still frame of Mimi's face (from Mark's camera) on a the TV-screens on stage and projected onto the back wall of the stage, while Mimi herself lay dead on a table.
Even though she wasn't moving and the images remained frozen on the screens, her "I jumped over the moon..." dialogue could be heard, making it impossible for the audience to determine whether she came back or not.
To complete the trainwreck, the whole cast sat on chairs in one long row, their backs to the audience, while singing the Finale B; spazzing out at the same time.
This production sucked, BIG time....*ugh*

Anyway, I don't think Mimi should die at the end of the show, since this clear deviation from the original La Bohème was a deliberate choice by Mr Larson - the message was about life, not death.

Sorry for this kinda off-topic contribution...

We have to burn our past behind us - and YOU are the first one I'm going to burn!

figgy1978
#54re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 6:59am

Has everyone forgot the pile of poo they put on in the UK? Rent Remixed. I hope they don't make too drastic a change

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#55re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 7:07am

I was *trying* to forget it. Thanks. :P

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#56re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 7:16am

"That's possibly moving?"

A good costume change always moves me to tears! :-P

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

danmag Profile Photo
danmag
#57re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 7:52am

Two significant changes = the leads are 38 years old! Just saying!

"This show had the WORST magnets on Broadway!"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#58re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 8:27am

They are changing it to Rent Remixed

Yeah, now you lot can sit through Disco Versions of Take Me Or Leave Me and a ballad version of What You Own etc lol

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

husk_charmer
#59re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 9:16am

^ I actually liked the trainwreck that was Rent: REMIXED.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#60re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 9:20am

noooooooooooooooo how could you, it was horrid, very entertaining in a horrid way...i could not stop laughing, it was the best comedy of the year, so much so i went back again lol

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Trekkie2
#61re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 9:47am

I really don't think it's anything to worry about. They know that most people who see it are going to be very familiar with the show, otherwise why get A&A? My thought is that perhaps they'll take a page from the alternate (and better, in my opinion) ending of the movie. Get in the Seasons of Love and I'll Cover You (Reprise) line, leaving a space for Angel to step into at the end. This fits everything Anthony Rapp says in the interview.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

EnWashingtonHeights Profile Photo
EnWashingtonHeights
#62re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 10:24am

What I think they should do is take out Tango M. and bring back Over it from NYTW Workshop

Or bring back the old lyrics of Goodbye love where Mark and Roger don't have a fight
Roger:
I don't know what I am, what I know, what to do.

Mark:
Who does?

Roger:
Oh God, Mark! Don't you?

Mark:
Mark has got his work, they say Mark lives for his work, and Mark's in love
with his work- Mark hides in his work.

Roger:
From what?

Mark:
From facing my failure, facing my loneliness, facing the fact I live a lie!

Roger:
You don't live a lie!
Tell you why- you've never finished your film cause the standards you set for yourself are too high! But the fact remains that you're the one of us with the talent and the drive. The fact remains Mark, you're the one to survive.

Updated On: 1/2/09 at 10:24 AM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#63re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 10:56am

i have nothing to say or the capacity to say it coherently lol
so i will just not use punctuation and end everything i say with lol lol

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#64re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 11:01am

I'm seeing this tour in March in Minneapolis. I'm skeptical about new changes but I won't judge until I see it.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

feline0favenueQ Profile Photo
feline0favenueQ
#65re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 11:17am

They *must* keep the Roger/Mark fight. It's perfect.

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#66re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 11:31am

NOTHING about Rent is "perfect"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#67re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 11:46am

The most moving thing ever was in the Swedish production (A crap production unfortunately)....In "Goodbye Love" , if I remember correctly, Angel is seen stripping off all his makeup. Going from the glamorous and beautiful Angel, to the naked and dying Angel. Absolutely gorgeously staged (hmmm, I can write better than that...what a bad sentence) and incredibly moving!

That is beautiful.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Manny2
#68re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 11:47am

I doubt that the Mark/Roger fight would be changed. It would completely change the way the audience sees Roger's exit.
As far as the pants go, I'm still rooting for the actual holographic print. I've grown this odd attachment to those pants, and being that this is the goodbye tour, I wouldn't like to see them go, yet.
Speaking of pants, did anyone ever get to see any pieces from that RENT clothing line at Bloomingdales they had a while back? I never got to see any of it, but I imagine the designs must have been....interesting.

luvtheEmcee
#69re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 11:57am

Why has nobody suggesting changing Roger's pants yet? As the pre-movie drama showed, that moves people!

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#70re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 11:58am

BrassBandBoy was that the same Netherlands production from the Dutch cast recording? I love that cast!

Celra Profile Photo
Celra
#71re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 12:32pm

Maybe it IS Roger's pants it would make sense. I remember when the movie came out they said on some interview that Adam wore jeans in the movie because he did not like the pants he had to wear on stage.

So maybe they decided to let Adam wear jeans?

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#72re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 12:34pm

Celra, is THAT any more moving than changing Mimi's pants?

luvtheEmcee
#73re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 12:43pm

Oh dear.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#74re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
Posted: 1/2/09 at 12:50pm

Instead of spending three pages saying, "I think they will..."

Why don't you just wait and see what they do?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2