Best Act I Finales

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#75re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 5/4/09 at 5:22pm

Children of Eden. Gives me chills every time.

Colle
#76re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 5/4/09 at 7:00pm

These are just my opinions on my favorite act 1 finales, that I have seen. I already mentioned, in an earlier thread "One Day More" from "Les Miserables."

"I'd Give My Life For You" from "Miss Saigon" not only is the song really moving, seeing the boat people walking off stage is very effective.

Also, I remember the Act one ending of "Fiddler on the Roof" from my colleges' production. It was pretty good and kind of sad. I don't remember the Tevye, in the production I saw, telling people to clean things up, like someone else here saw. What I do remember is the soliders telling them to keeping going on with the wedding reception, and then starting the demstration, atacking people, chasing them, and messing things up. The scene ended with Tzeitel sadly holding, I believe, part of the canopy(either that or her vail).

I also liked the act one ending of "Mamma Mia!" On the surface "Vouez-Vous" seems just a fun party song, but I saw a little more to it. The interaction between Sophie, Sam, and Henry(where both agree to give Sophie away at her wedding), is what is important in the scene. The Sophie I saw seemed confused, a little shocked, and had a "What have I done" look on her face by the end of the song that I thought was effective. Also, I heard that the phrase "Vouez-Vous" translates to "Do you want to" in English, which does become an important question for a some of the characters in the second act.

LesMiz24601 Profile Photo
LesMiz24601
#77re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 4:29pm

(Bump)

It's been 3 months, time to bring this thread back!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#78re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 4:32pm

"'Till We Reach That Day" from RAGTIME is absolutely stunning. That would be my choice, next to Jennifer Holliday's stirring rendition of "And I Am Telling You (I'm Not Going)" in the original prodution of DREAMGIRLS.

I also really enjoy "I Wish I May" from THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK. The people going gaga for "Defying Gravity" need to see that flying sequence.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/2/09 at 04:32 PM

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#79re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 4:43pm

No mention of Blackout from In The Heights? That **** blows my mind every time.

Also, Here I Go Again from ROA usually has the audience on their feet by the time it's over.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#80re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 4:43pm

Sunday in the Park with George

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

alightinthedark23 Profile Photo
alightinthedark23
#81re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 5:13pm

"Blackout" from "In The Heights"

"It's about the Benjamins, not the Bernsteins."-CapnHook

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#82re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 5:19pm

From shows I've seen, in some incarnation, be it Broadway, or elsewhere (in no order):

-Mame, from Mame
-I've Got Rhythm, from Crazy for You
-'Til We Reach that Day from Ragtime
-Defying Gravity from Wicked (sue me...everything about the last two minutes of that song WORKS)
- Everything's Coming Up Roses, from Gypsy
- One Day More, from Les Miserables
-Tomorrow Belongs to Me, from Cabaret (because you see the audience watching in horror at what develops...it should make you almost sick to your stomach)

I'm tempted to include Into the Woods' act 1 finale on here, because the three times I've seen the show (the Broadway revival twice, and a regional production once), a number of people thought the show was over, and got ready to leave.
Updated On: 8/2/09 at 05:19 PM

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#83re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 5:24pm

The Riddle: The Scarlet Pimpernel

camncal
#84re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 6:26pm

Wicked's act I finale is great because everything just worked in that song and it was great seeing her soar, literally, at that point of the story.

TLM's transformation is sweet and I loved Billy's Angry Dance.

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#85re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 6:39pm

Wicked - Defying Gravity
Les Miserable - One Day More
Mamma Mia - Voulez-vous

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#86re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 6:46pm

Billy Elliot-Angry Dance leaves me breathless every time.

After Eight
#87re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 6:47pm

"The Unsinkable Molly Brown"- Harve Presnell and Tammy Grimes singing "I Ain't Down Yet."

bway boy
#88re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 7:13pm

by far dreamgirls jennifer holiday

FindingNamo
#89re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 9:43pm

I will always have a soft spot for Carrie showing her mother her telekinetic powers and informing her that, yes, she WILL be going to the senior prom.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

AndAllThatJazz22
#90re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 9:45pm

Are adamgreer and I the only ones suggesting 'Tomorrow Belongs to Me'?!?! That's such a shame...I think it is above the level of 99% of all the Act I finales I've seen. (And I've see Wicked)

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

gypsy4
#91re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/2/09 at 9:50pm

Defying Gravity.

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#92re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 8/5/09 at 3:18am

It's so 13 year old girl of me, but..."Defying Gravity" is a pretty ****ing awesome Act 1 Finale.

"Till We Reach That Day" is just pure, raw, musical beauty and power.

"If I Can't Love Her" would be great, if it weren't an introspective ballad that closes out an Hour and 25 minute first Act.

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#93re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 10/29/10 at 10:01pm

Next to Normal: Light in the Dark

I love this song because it's such a calm ending to such a crazy first act, and how it ties in with the finale.

And no offense to anybody, but Defying Gravity is GOOD, but not a song that needs to be worshiped. Got to admit that the last note that is belted by Elphaba is amazing, but the song and scene itself just doesn't do it for me.

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#94re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 10/29/10 at 10:57pm

Ever After (INTO THE WOODS). I like irony.

Autumn / Finale (TITANIC). The eeriness and foreshadowing gets you every time.

I really like "My Own Best Friend" as Chicago's act 1 closer, however the brief dialogue / action afterwards makes it a bit of an anti-climax, which is sad considering the power of the song.

And who could forget "Simple" from ANYONE CAN WHISTLE?

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#95re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 10/29/10 at 11:10pm

Les Miserables - One Day More
Beauty & the Beast - If I Can't Love Her
Gypsy - Everything's Coming up Roses
SITPWG - Sunday
Sound of Music - Climb Every Mountain
Ragtime - Til We Reach That Day
Little Women - Astonishing
City of Angels - You're Nothing Without Me
La Cage - I Am What I Am
Mame - Mame
The Producers - Act I Finale
South Pacific - ('never let her gooooooooooooooo')

and the list goes on....

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#96re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 10/29/10 at 11:19pm

Gypsy- Everything's Coming Up Roses
A Little Priest- Sweeney Todd
Billy Elliot- Angry Dance
In the Heights- Blackout

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#97re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 10/30/10 at 10:54am

A big vote for La Cage. The first time I ever saw it, when Albin stormed offstage, snatching the wig off his head after wowing us with I AM WHAT I AM, I turned to my companions to rave and words could not come out of my mouth. I don't think I was ever so wowed before or since. I was literally speechless -- not with nothing to say -- but with losing my ability to say it.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#98re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 10/30/10 at 12:53pm

Sunday In The Park-Uh...holy ****?!!!? The most beautiful song (musical or otherwise) that i have heard
Ragtime-The combined power of Till We Reach That Day and the fact that it was closing night left that auditorium speechless with no other action but to clap uncontrollably.
Next to Normal-The chilling thought of Diana 'signing her life away' leaves me in tears every time
A Little Night Music-A Weekend in the Country is a very fun song that clears the way for the cluster**** that goes down in act 2. (A good kind of cluster****...not like MEHmphis.)

Inigomontoya
#99re: Best Act I Finale's
Posted: 10/30/10 at 2:17pm

Sunday - SITPWG by far my favorite, but I do want to raise a question - which is stronger the original or the revival version? for me the set design of the revival make it even more unbelievable

Videos