The Most Powerful Stage Gesture

esparza 333
#1The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/8/09 at 6:29pm

Sometimes during a performance an actor makes a powerful gesture that provides a huge impact on the scene and is one of the most memorable things about their performance. These somehow are not full discussed in reviews, so this is the time to share what you think are the most powerful stage gestures.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#2re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/8/09 at 9:58pm

re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#2re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/8/09 at 10:33pm

Ha, I love that graphic.

I was going to say this:

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#3re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/8/09 at 10:51pm

Haha. How about this?

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#4re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/8/09 at 11:49pm

wonderwaiter, you forgot:

and

and

but my answer was going to be Boyd Gaines pounding the dressing room table when [spoiler? do people not know the end of Gypsy?] Herbie was leaving Rose. the silence in the theatre was unbelievable.

and it's not really a specific gesture, but the way Christine Ebersole looked and acted at the end of Another Winter in a Summer Town, especially when Mary Louise Wilson started calling for her. ugh, heartbreaking.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#5re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 12:04am

I love when Patti (or any Rose for that matter) would reach up at the Rose sign at the end.

I couldn't find a picture of it but I came across this one, haha...

[IMG]re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture

nomdeplume
#6re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 12:40am

When a pose is struck to resemble this at the end of Aiutami in Piazza.

broadwayboy101
#7re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 12:54am

I couldn't find a picture from the broadway show, but the ending to And I Am Telling You is pretty powerful.

Amaranth9 Profile Photo
Amaranth9
#8re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 1:06am

I guess it's not so much a gesture as an expression, but the moment of realization when Helen Keller finally understands language with the word "water." That's powerful stuff.

gypsy4
#9re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 2:20am

strut your stuff Patti!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 4:02am

gypsy, that's the first one that went through my head! And I got to finally see her do it live last fall when she was here in Denver!

Just give the world Love.

Yankeefan007
#12re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 7:40am

David Cromer slamming down the shoes on the metal table in his production of OUR TOWN.

gypsy4
#13re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 11:03am

bernadette always has the right emotions.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#14re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 3:08pm

My personal favorite is Sally reaching out toward the audience in a "help me" gesture at the end of the title song in Cabaret. That's the point where you realize how utterly gone she is, and it's too late for anyone to help her.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

AndAllThatJazz22
#15re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 3:18pm

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#16re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 3:20pm

That is terrifying.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#17re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 3:26pm

I know. Isn't it wonderful? re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture

I know you. I know you. I know you.

AndAllThatJazz22
#18re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/9/09 at 3:31pm

Here's another good one (also from cabaret)

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

AndAllThatJazz22
#19re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:26am

Bump

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#20re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/10/09 at 11:45am

AndAllThatJazz22
#21re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/10/09 at 12:04pm

^ MORSCO!!! That white question mark in the blue box is SO powerful.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#22re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/10/09 at 4:07pm

I couldn't see it at first but I clicked properties and got the url and saw it, now I can see it on the thread.
OMFG That is hilarious morosco!!! LMAO

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#23re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/10/09 at 4:16pm

HAHAHAHA Patti LuPone needs a cookbook!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

jejr
#24re: The Most Powerful Stage Gesture
Posted: 5/10/09 at 4:24pm

Evita giving the "slap the arm" gesture at the end of "Don't Cry For Me" - no pictures of that.

Videos