N2N, In the Heights or Hair?

kristinchenofan570 Profile Photo
kristinchenofan570
#1N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 8:51pm

Not sure which one to see and I don't see shows that often so this will probably my last one for a little while unless I get lucky. Thanks!

Remember when drama was only on the stage?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 8:52pm

Hair.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#2re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:06pm

Hair. Every person into theatre needs to see this glorious, heartbreaking production.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

louderthanwords870 Profile Photo
louderthanwords870
#3re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:10pm

As much as I'm pushing for Next to Normal, I'd have to say Hair, definitely.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#4re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:12pm

Hair and In The Heights are my two favorite shows ever so either way you would see a great show and have a great time. But I would say go see Hair, it the best musical of the season and should be seen by everyone.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#5re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:13pm

'next to normal'... it's a phenomenal original musical which really gets inside you and makes you think, also, it may not be around that long. I would see it before it might be too late.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

bwayfan7000
#6re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:14pm

I asked a question similar to this recently. It was whether to see N2N or Hair. You can read the thread per the link I posted. In a nutshell, it seemed like it'd be hard to choose, but most people said see N2N by just a hair. I got tickets to that and I am seeing it in two weeks. Since then, I got the recording and am thrilled with my choice, although I wish I could see Hair sometime.

As far as ITH goes, I saw that and loved it, but it's going to tour soon. If you say you're not coming to NYC again soon, and you're near by a spot where ITH is touring, see N2N or Hair and see ITH on tour.

If you are having trouble deciding, listen to the music. N2N's recording is out, and Hair's is released on iTunes Tuesday, I believe. Pick which has the music that is most appealing to you.

Hair or N2N Thread

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 5/20/09 at 09:14 PM

kristinchenofan570 Profile Photo
kristinchenofan570
#7re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:23pm

Oh. I actually go to New York at least 3 or 4 times a year if not more. We just don't see shows very often so any show I'm going to see I'm going to see on Broadway and not on tour so tours and stuff aside which show is the best to see?

Remember when drama was only on the stage?

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#8re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:29pm

Those are all fantastic shows, and you will probably be satisfied with whatever you choose, but I would say Hair, it is a truly incredible experience.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#9re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:30pm

'Hair' is more like a concert and is also going on tour.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#10re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:35pm

"'Hair' is more like a concert and is also going on tour."

So...

It's not really like a concert, it's a show with rock type music, it's not a concert. It actually has phenomenal acting performances with a touching story and incredible music.

And plus it isn't going on tour for another year.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#11re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 9:56pm

What I meant was... the book is very poor, the story line is a complex one done in a simple form, and there is audience interaction with a show that is mainly singing. It's like a concert...

It may not be going on tour in a year but it is still going on tour. next to normal might not be around that long... so I recommend it to all.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#12re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 10:24pm

Absolutely Hair.

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#13re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/20/09 at 11:19pm

In The Heights

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#14re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 12:06am

HAIR for sure.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#15re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 1:38am

I saw both N2N and Hair. I am seeing Hair for the 10th time on the 9th. I don't plan on revisiting N2N.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

sgv123
#16re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 1:46am

All three of those are excellent shows. I would say go with Hair. The cast is phenomenal and is not to be missed.I don't think you will be disappointed with the other 2 shows though.
Updated On: 5/21/09 at 01:46 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 1:53am

HAIR 100%!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Roscoe
#18re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 9:13am

HAIR. Don't think twice. Get the best seats you can.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#19re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 9:18am

"It may not be going on tour in a year but it is still going on tour. next to normal might not be around that long... so I recommend it to all."

Well, isn't there a chance that Next to Normal could tour too...?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#20re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 9:20am

See anything but HAIR. I would definitely see N2N or ITH first.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#21re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 10:16am

Hair.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#22re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 10:23am

These kinds of threads confuse me. I say to the poster, think about what YOU are in the mood for and research the shows. N2N is an musical with a rock score. It's a family drama dealing with mental illness and dysfunction. HAIR is more like a concert with a conceptual through line of a book, as another poster said. It is joyful, sad, sexy, funny-a completely different feel. I think those are the two you should choose from, but it is based on who you are, what you are feeling like seeing. These threads will go back and forth all day. If you go to HAIR make sure you get up on stage at the end-its a blast.

Both shows are top notch, but very different feels.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

newyorkrbust
#23re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 1:35pm

I think it just depends on what you're into. I saw In the heights and loved it!! I'm going to see N2N in like 2 weeks and I'm so excited b/c it looks amazing and the music is beautiful...plus it the original cast. Personally (ok people that was a disclaimer so don't scream at me)I would never go see Hair. The music that I've heard and the reviews and what I know about the story (and even what people say on here) is that its more like a rock concert than a broadway play. it doesn't really have a solid plot line but if that's what you like...
I say look at the synopsis of them all on wikipedia then decide!! :)

It really said US Navy, but hey, I worked with what they gave me ok.

sgv123
#24re: N2N, In the Heights or Hair?
Posted: 5/21/09 at 2:28pm

Hair is nothing like a rock concert.

Videos