pixeltracker

"Don't Stop Believin": Glee Vs. Rock of Ages- Page 2

"Don't Stop Believin": Glee Vs. Rock of Ages

AndAllThatJazz22
#25re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:04am

Call me crazy, but I actually prefer ROA's version. You heard it here earth-dregs!!

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#26re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:16am

I'm confused as to how any musical theatre fan could have "hated" Glee.

broadwaybaby77 Profile Photo
broadwaybaby77
#27re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 10:37am

"I'm confused as to how any musical theatre fan could have "hated" Glee."

Well, it was far from brilliant. I can only speak for myself, but I didn't like most of the cast and I thought the script was pretty terrible.

I have to agree with those who posted before me; there really is no comparison between the arrangements and performances.

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#28re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:01am

I don't care what the conditions were or whether it was live, I personally enjoyed the Glee version much more. Don't get me wrong, I love live theatre, but the Glee version was just much more pleasing to the ear.

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#29re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:04am

Agreed with Snarky.

Of *course* Glee wins. It would be a sad commentary on Hollywood TV production indeed if a heavily edited, single-camera scene requiring at least a day's worth of multiple takes shot on a controlled soundstage and featuring lip-synced performances against a heavily produced studio vocal track loses to a live performance, pulled out of context (if the audience isn't familiar with the show, have they any idea why James Carpinello is singing in Spanish?!), in the middle of a NYC plaza!

jarred03
#30re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:23am

I vote for GLEE, mainly because I love the way Lea sounds on that song and the harmonies are tight as hell.

I agree with Hest882 though because I had no idea what was going on with the other singers and when he was singing in spanish? all his growling and crap, I had no idea that was even supposed to be in spanish. I was sitting here thinking "what did he say? thats not the right line!?!" So I feel like I should see it live before a real judgement but based off these videoes Glee wins.

However, Constantine is better than the lead male in Glee, but Lea kick's Amy's ass and throws her down a hill and then comes down the hill to kick her while she's down.

savannah
#31re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 11:42am

I love James, Constantine, and the whole quirky ROA cast so I prefer the ROA version. It's more entertaining overall than Glee's sanitized studio version. I thought Glee was a pretty good show and I wouldn't mind watching it again. I like the teacher.
Updated On: 5/27/09 at 11:42 AM

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#32re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 4:08pm

Im voting for neither even though I love both. This song is quickly rising on my list of over played songs. Someone needs to tell Journey to be more selective... these arent even the only two shows using it... it was in a commercial and mentioned in another tv series. Ugh.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#33re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 4:33pm

The song's been around since 1981 and has been very heavily used in pop culture since then. This is hardly a new thing.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#34re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 4:36pm

Glee

And Glee's version is STILL #4 on iTunes. Updated On: 5/27/09 at 04:36 PM

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#35re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 4:49pm

Kad, sure its been used before but rarely has it been so central to so many things at the same time. It surely wasnt heavily used just after its release, but yeah its been here and there since the mid-90s. Someone just got a little trigger happy with their licensing in the past month or so because its been everywhere. Too much for me.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#36re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 5:07pm

I am going to go with Glee, but that is the first I have seen of RoA and it actually makes me want to see it.

breakfree303
#37re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 5:11pm

Glee.
I got chills listening to it when it was on TV (corny, I know!)

"'Cats' is the second worst thing that ever happened to New York City"-Jersey Girl

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#38re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 5:15pm

Glee for sure!

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#39re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 5:56pm

>>>, have they any idea why James Carpinello is singing in Spanish?!), in the middle of a NYC plaza!

Who cares- He looks good doing it.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#40re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 6:41pm

Not that this is related to which you prefer, but...
Glee debuts at #4 on Hot 100

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#41re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 6:55pm

What a ridiculous question this thread poses.

If you are to make a comparison, at least give both a fair playing field. ROA is outside on a makeshift stage, with awful sound quality, first thing in the morning.

Glee is a fully produced under the best conditions performance.

That situation notwithstanding, I've seen the ROA song under the best conditions, and it blows the vanilla Glee version out of the water. No comparison as far as I'm concerned.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#42re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 6:59pm

God damn it people, it isn't hard! Which one did you like better, plain & simple. It isn't a trick question, quit making excuses for people choosing Glee over RoA.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#43re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 7:08pm

"It isn't a trick question, quit making excuses for people choosing Glee over RoA."

Um, the point is that of course the majority of people will like the Glee version better when you present the ROA version under the worst circumstances possible.

I think I'll post an open audition for a tour of Wicked with a video of the broadway version and see which we like better.

Yes, far fetched analogy but you get the point, I hope.

Updated On: 5/27/09 at 07:08 PM

lstbutifulgrl2
#44re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 7:13pm

>>>, have they any idea why James Carpinello is singing in Spanish?!), in the middle of a NYC plaza!

Who cares- He looks good doing it.

that makes much more sense in the context of the show trust me. it's not really a spoiler, but i won't mention it here. if you want to know PM me.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#45re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 7:13pm

It actually is hard "defying gravity" if you have any sense of what it takes to sing live at the crack of dawn vs singing in a studio with auto-tune, pro-tools, mixing, and mastering. Those who fail to see the inequity of this comparison are either ignorant or bias. (I am a fan of ROA, no secret, but I would never compare a live morning show performance to a studio created performance shot on film and edited properly no matter what the shows are... that is just silly)

broadway122 Profile Photo
broadway122
#46re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 7:32pm

I vote Glee!

"i had no idea billy elliot was about one boy's triumph over epilepsy."-FindingNamo

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#47re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 7:37pm

I vote Taboo!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#48re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 8:07pm

GLEE by far, but some of those random characters in the ROCK OF AGES performance were quite funny.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#49re: 'Don't Stop Believin': Glee Vs. Rock of Ages
Posted: 5/27/09 at 8:57pm

I think most of us are sharp enough to imagine how ROA's version would sound under "the best conditions".

Regardless of conditions, the arrangement is the same as it is in the theatre.

The harmonies in the Glee treatment are far more complex and interesting, as is the staging.

Videos