pixeltracker

New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair

New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair

East Village Profile Photo
East Village
#1New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 8:09pm

So what did they do, record this in a box with a couple of instruments and someone's friend who once mixed sound for a YouTube video?

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#2re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 8:11pm

yup! you caught them :)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 10:33pm

Haha, funny...NOT.

I love this cast recording. <3

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

AndAllThatJazz22
#3re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 10:56pm

Um, this is the most well produced Cast Recordings since 'In The Heights'. This is the first and only cast recording that I've actually listened to straight through multiple times a day. It's my new favorite recording.

ETA: Wait, are you talking about those crappy CD's on iTunes or the brilliant new cast recording of the 2009 Hair revival?

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Updated On: 5/29/09 at 10:56 PM

snl89
#4re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 10:58pm

Yeah, I've got to say, I think it's an INCREDIBLY well produced recording! I've been listening to it practically nonstop :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

PiraguaGuy2
#5re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 10:59pm

It's very good, but some of the orchestrations sound a bit too much like an MTI recording of "Hair School Edition", especially on "Manchester, England" and "Sheila Franklin/I Believe in Love".

"The Flesh Failures/Let the Sunshine In" is amazing, though.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

AndAllThatJazz22
#6re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:01pm

^ Me and you agree on The Flesh Failures. It might just make me water, just a little.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#7re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:03pm

Walking in Space gives me chills.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

AndAllThatJazz22
#8re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:06pm

The only song that I genuinely don't like is "Yes, I's finished on Y'alls Farmlands".

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#9re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/29/09 at 11:39pm

The Vienna cast is still my favorite (sung in English) but this is up there! GREAT recording.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#10re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 12:09am

Since I bought it on Tuesday, I've listened to this recording 13 times all the way through, plus certain songs even more. I love this recording.

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 12:18am

I'm waiting for the hard copy. I hope it's as well packaged as "In The Heights" and "Next to Normal."

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#12re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 12:27am

Picture of the eco-friendly cardboard packaging, like Next to Normal's. From the Hair Twitter.

re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 12:46am

Aw it didn't work, but I can imagine what it looks like. I'm excited!

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#14re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 12:56am

I have been listening to this new cast album NON-STOP since I got it last week... specifically, the section of songs from "Three-Five-Zero-Zero" to the end. So so so goddamn emotional and beautifully sung.

I am love love loving Gavin Creel's lung-power in "Flesh Failures"... there's a portion of the song he DOES NOT BREATHE (whereas both the OBC and Actor's Fund recordings, Claude stops to inhale).

Plus, it's great to hear the gun-shots in "Ain't Got No (reprise)" and the yip yip yip yip yip yip yippee authentically done.

FIERCENESS

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#15re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 12:59am

my favorite thing about this recording is how FREE everyone sounds. Usually, in a cast recording, it's like "we have to have this perfect" but in this it genuinely sounds like they are having a blast recording it.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

FindingNamo
#16re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 1:06am

I seriously thought I was going to be unable to resist buying this on iTunes even though I much prefer to own physical CDs. Then I listened to the clips on iTunes and was a little surprised to hear how flat it sounds. I'm going to wait til the end of June to buy the disc when it comes out and hope an uncompressed version of the recording sounds more vibrant and dynamic.

I want something as spacious sounding as the Spring Awakening cast recording, which, at least in comparison to the HAIR clips, sounds so much more rock and roll.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 1:07am

I'm really surprised they didn't go with recording this live a la Passing Strange or, dare I say, Brooklyn.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#18re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 1:08am

I love this CR. Currently, my most played song from it is Frank Mills :) but Flesh Failures/Let The Sunshine in isn't too far behind!

FindingNamo
#19re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 1:09am

When I heard the clips I thought the exact same thing, RippedMan.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#20re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 2:15am

I'm curious as to why they didn't go that route? It seems like they're all about the organic approach and whatnot, so why not just record it live? It's cheaper too, right?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#21re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 2:28am

I've actually played "Where Do I Go?" the most so far.

But it's a gorgeous recording. I can't get enough of it!

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#22re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 7:57am

My favorite recording since In The Heights as well. It's incredible! Best recording of the year BY FAR!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#23re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 8:06am

Stunning recording.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#24re: New Broadway Cast Recording - Hair
Posted: 5/30/09 at 8:57pm

I can do without the American Idol-ish riffing throughout.

Gone are the days when singers had great voices and didn't need to do vocal acrobatics for a show-off effect.

Just listen to the Original 1968 Broadway Cast Recording and you'll see how great a simple voice can be. Yes, some of the voices were shrill and flat but oh... those songs sounded the way they were supposed to. Not like American Idol anthems.