Skip to main content
Shop Merch Add a Show Listing
My Shows
News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival (Fall, 2027)

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.

#3

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

I adore this show and I loved Charles Strouse very much. Even worked for him. But, unless they've got one hell of a Hannigan I just don't see they're selling. And I think Pinkleton is all wrong.
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
#4

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

But I don’t want Pinkleton to make Annie weird! Plus, are they aiming for Spring 2027 run or the following Fall?

Updated On: 9/15/26 at 06:02 AM

#5

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

iluvtheatertrash said: "I adore this show and I loved Charles Strouse very much. Even worked for him. But, unless they've got one hell of a Hannigan I just don't see they're selling. And I think Pinkleton is all wrong."

Agreed. Pimkleton’s sensibility and Annie are completely at cross purpose. Perhaps I will be surprised,

#6

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

ANNIE is Sam Pinkleton’s favorite musical and always mentions that it’s the show he saw as a kid that sparked his love of theater. If anyone should have a go at reinvigorating the exhausted horse that is ANNIE it would be him. Knowing him, he’d definitely honor the musical by toning down his expected approach and make this his first more conventional production.

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

#7

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

I don't think someone loving a show means that "if anyone deserves a chance, it's them".


"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
#8

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

Dreamboy3 said: "iluvtheatertrash said: "I adore this show and I loved Charles Strouse very much. Even worked for him. But, unless they've got one hell of a Hannigan I just don't see they're selling. And I think Pinkleton is all wrong."

Agreed. Pimkleton’s sensibility and Annie are completely at cross purpose. Perhaps I will be surprised,
"

I recall reading similar skepticism about him and Rocky Horror. Granted, I know some people here had some issues with his direction, but that production seems to have exceeded most people's expectations both critically and commercially.

#9

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

I think the cast had a lot to do with RH's success. I thought the direction was quite abysmal.


"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
#10

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

I think Sam Pinkleton’s direction style skews more playful than “weird.” And Annie needs to have a sense of playfulness or it’s dull. I’d be super interested to see his vision for it.

#11

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

I wouldnt mind a production that leans into the cartoon of it all....


"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
#13

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

I'm interested in seeing Annie in a post-Martin Charin world. I remember the fit he threw when James Lapine's revival didn't get overly loved that he had to direct a tour to send out right away. He seemed to be stuck in that original production, which isn't always bad, but makes it seem like a recurring dream every 10 years or son
#14

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

I just need him to use the Grace Jones arrangement of “Tomorrow” that’s in the Oh Mary pre show playlist


Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
#16

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

They'll need a name in this for it to sell. Whoopi did the show at MSG a few years ago and she couldn't even sell out the show.
A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
#18

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

Michael Arden is one of this revival's lead producers, along with Hal Luftig's new company Halcyon Theatricals.


“I am furious, but I am sailing.”
#19

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

The press release says it will be a fresh theatrical perspective for a new generation of theatergoers. I’m choosing to emphasize “theatrical” here.

His casting for OM has been stellar. His casting for other shows has been more chaotic. Chaotic is kind of his thing. That’s not always the best thing for a big musical that its producers will want to run for years. There are very few titles that would sell on their own without stars, but I have a hard time seeing many actually-famous people signing on to this for an extended run.

At a minimum it should be better than the Lapine production and more interesting than the very traditional Jenn Thompson tour.

#20

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

Did bwyworld jump the gun with their article? Nothing on the Playbill site yet. The link to tickets takes you to the anniebroadeay site where nothing loads for me.


...
#24

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

ACL2006 said: "They'll need a name in this for it to sell. Whoopi did the show at MSG a few years ago and she couldn't even sell out the show."

That was also Madison Square Garden, of which their theatre can hold anywhere from roughly 2000 to 6000 seats. Depending on the capacity they used, that’s basically selling 3-4 Broadway house performances in a single performance.


Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
#25

Re: ANNIE - 50th Anniversary Broadway revival ?

I think Amy Poehler would be good casting. She is very much an heir of Carol Burnett and it’s her favorite musical. Plus Sam directed her besties Rachel and Maya so she probably knows if she’d succeed with his style.

Latest Posts

BroadwayWorld TV


Ticket Central
Hot Show
Tickets From $58
Hot Show
Tickets From $80
Hot Show
Tickets From $67
Hot Show
Tickets From $59