News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Bare: A Pop Opera

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#175re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 8/22/09 at 2:07am

Got back from the Denver production about an hour ago. (Stopped for a cocktail after!) These kids sang their butts off! And yes, there were flaws. Sound problems and mic levels. But all in all Gravity Defied pulled it off beautifully. A lot of people were in tears by the end of the show. I am sitting here listening to the studio recording now. Oh, and the band they had was outstanding! The girl who played Nadia was pretty much flawless and almost stole the show.

Just give the world Love.

cptjack
#176re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 8/27/09 at 4:27pm

^ uncageg, I totally agree. I was lucky enough to cath the last two performances of the Denver production and it was awesome. Friday there were some cracks and mic problems, but I never really cared since the cast was doing such a great job. All voices blended nicely together and they had some really clever staging going on. I loved Ephifany and One so much it gave me goosebumps. Peter and Jason were just cuteness on stage (You and I), which made their brake-up in Ever after even sadder. Nadia and Sister Chantelle were spot on. Even though I know the studio recording backwards they still got me chuckling and smiling. I even enjoyed the songs I used to skip frequently: Spring was totally hilarious, and a realy crowd pleaser too.

Especially closing night was next to flawless. The cast was giving it all they had and it was a moving performance. From the speeches afterwards, you could tell these talented actors have a passion for community theatre and a heart for their community.

I got to say 'hi' to the two leads/creators of Gravity Defied and some of the cast and they were so kind. They even got me a signed poster as a souvenir (thanks Erin! :)

Denver has a great new theatre company: Gravity Defied Theatre. They will stage 'You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown' next January. I wish them all the best with their next production!

snl89
#177re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 8/29/09 at 6:34pm

Bump, because I love this video!

Matt Doyle and Wesley Taylor singing Are You There:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4WkwQnW4s

*sigh* I reeeally love Matt as Peter. And I love how Wesley plays Matt too- very disinterested, but that disinterest totally works for the part I think :)

So yeah, as I said in the comments on that video, throw in Aaron Tveit as Jason and Lea Michelle as Ivy and that'd be my dream cast.

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

xoangel2789xo
#178re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 8/30/09 at 1:11am

Ah, I wish I could've been there. I need to see a production of this one day.

cptjack
#179re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 8/30/09 at 8:08am

Thanks for the clip! God, how I love Matt Doyle in this role... Still hoping he'll be in the Bare-SF production, whenever that happens. And the day Matt and Aaron make out on stage, I've probably died and gone to heaven re: Bare: A Pop Opera

Another regional production just opened on Long Island this weekend at the Cultural Arts Playhouse in Plainview, NY (August 28 thru September 13).

hearmyvoice Profile Photo
hearmyvoice
#180re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 8/30/09 at 2:26pm

For those of you who are BARE fans in Los Angeles, we are staging a two night concert workshop of the material at the Art|Works Theatre in Hollywood on October 2nd and 3rd. Tickets available soon.

http://bare-la.com

fromthecity
#181re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 9/10/09 at 1:34pm

Press release is up: https://losangeles.broadwayworld.com/article/bare_A_Rock_Opera_Returns_To_LA_For_Two_Night_Workshop_102_103_20090904

Tickets are available. Updated On: 9/10/09 at 01:34 PM

AdamIsGodImJesus
#182re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 9/18/09 at 10:31am

So has the San Francisco production officially stumbled into development hell? If I remember correctly didn't they workshop preview it in New York with Matt Doyle at the beginning of summer. Did that lead to any additional news?

That Groovy Guy Profile Photo
That Groovy Guy
#183re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 9/18/09 at 6:46pm

Blech! Hate hate hate the poster for the show that is on the bare la website. I think it cheapens the show.

"Oh some like it hot, but I like it *really* hot." - Heat Miser

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#184re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 9/18/09 at 7:26pm

ewww, I totally agree!!

Devious Profile Photo
Devious
#185re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 9/18/09 at 11:07pm

I saw this thread and thought nothing of it.. then a video of Wes Taylor and Matt Doyle singing Are You There showed up in the "recommended for you" thing on youtube and now I LOVE IT! I wish I could have seen the show

hearmyvoice Profile Photo
hearmyvoice
#186re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 10/17/09 at 2:06am

bare returns to the Hudson Theatre in an extension of its concert workshop.

Performances will be Saturday, Nov 14 at 8:00, and Sunday Nov 15 at 7:00 at the Hudson Backstage Theatre located at 6539 Santa Monica Boulevard Hollywood, CA 90038. Tickets are $20.00 and available at https://www.bare-la.com.

https://losangeles.broadwayworld.com/article/bare_Returns_to_LAs_Hudson_Theatre_1114_1115_20091016

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#187re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 10/17/09 at 2:43am

This is perfect time for a bump. I was just listening to All Grown Up and was thinking I should search Bare on here. I heard about the show because I was researching Jenna after I knew she could sing(Libby can sing?!!?) and then forgot about it, then BWW played another song and I now have interest in it again. I have to get the recording.

I wish that I could see the production in L.A. UGH!!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#188re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 10/17/09 at 2:48am

My second favorite musical. LOVE IT!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

ScottInLA
#189re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 10/28/09 at 4:46pm

Wow...I guess that's a good thing that the production got an extension. Hopefully they will be able to make a few improvements before the Hudson shows.

kristin_bernadette Profile Photo
kristin_bernadette
#190re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 10/28/09 at 10:04pm

This is one of my favorite musicals! I wish it were more well known, though. I'm playing Nadia in a local production and I'm so excited!

neddonovan Profile Photo
neddonovan
#191re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 5/25/10 at 10:30am

Reading old posts is painful. Deleted :)

Ned Donovan Actor • Multi-Hyphenate Creative www.neddonovan.com
Updated On: 11/8/17 at 10:30 AM

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#192re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:07pm

"Bare is self-indulgent theatre in my opinion..."

I feel this way about SA. There are only a few SA songs that don't make me angry when listening to the cast recording. That "blah blah blah blah..." makes me cringe everytime!!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#193re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:45pm

To each his own! I like RENT, BARE and Spring Awakening.

Just give the world Love.

MichaelRhodus Profile Photo
MichaelRhodus
#194re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 6/16/11 at 7:26pm

Bumping this.

I fell out of love with this show for a bit and just recently started listening again.
While I don't think this show would really work on Broadway, I think it should definitely make another appearance Off-B'way.

I have yet to find another emotionally provoking show such as this. One of a kind.

Anyone else agree it should be revived?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#195re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 6/17/11 at 9:30am

What, a bland pop musical about spoiled wealthy teens, staring at themselves in the mirror and crying about how tragic their mundane lives are?

Sure, if you like that sort of thing.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#196re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 6/17/11 at 9:54am

Whether you think the show is successful or not, it explores some important territory. Whether you're wealthy or not, growing up gay is tough and often tragic in big and small ways. Bare portrays, with some sensitivity, two gay teens trying to negotiate their way in a world that seems to be set against them. One of them finds the light at the end of the tunnel; the other one does not.

I absolutely understand not liking the style of the show, or thinking it's not well executed, but I really don't see how one can question the importance of the subject matter.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#197re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 6/17/11 at 10:00am

I don't think I was questioning the importance of the subject matter - but it's even worse when important subject matter is explored in a facile, artificial, two-dimensional, banal way (much like People In The Picture), while touting itself as serious and "soulful."

Subject matter alone doesn't validate a bad piece of theatre.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#198re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 6/17/11 at 10:06am

Well, fair enough. When you summarized the show as spoiled wealthy teens staring at themselves in the mirror, you seemed to be dismissing the subject matter. I understand you now, though.

I think Bare can work rather well with the right cast, like the one I saw here in Baltimore a few years ago. I don't think the material is fatally facile or banal. :) But we'll have to disagree on that, and that's fine.

Sophiia Profile Photo
Sophiia
#199re: Bare: A Pop Opera
Posted: 6/17/11 at 6:05pm

So glad to have found this thread- Bare is one of my favorite albums and every so often I go through another period of obsession and listen to the entire album. I've never seen it live, and I of course agree that it would need a ton of work to be successful on or off Broadway, but I would LOVE it if I could see a production. Some of the songs are just stunning, and Absolution makes me cry every time.

Videos