News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 1:39pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 9/22/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE OUTSIDERS (3.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: CHICAGO (-28.7%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (-22.2%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (-18.6%), & JULIET (-17.8%), THE NOTEBOOK (-14.3%), SIX (-13.2%), WICKED (-13.2%), THE GREAT GATSBY (-12.5%), THE ROOMMATE (-12%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-11.5%), ALADDIN (-10.3%), SUFFS (-9.9%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (-9.4%), HAMILTON (-7%), JOB (-6.8%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-6.6%), YELLOW FACE (-6.3%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-5.7%), HELL'S KITCHEN (-5.5%), HADESTOWN (-5.1%), ONCE UPON A MATTRESS (-4.7%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-4.2%), THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA (-1.3%), STEREOPHONIC (-0.8%), THE LION KING (-0.5%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 1:50pm

Yikes. Yikes. And more yikes. Summer's over and the fall slump is here. Those numbers for Back to the Future and Water for Elephants are rough and can't be sustainable at all. & Juliet also hitting a rough spot.

Thrilled for Oh, Mary and Outsiders however.

Updated On: 9/24/24 at 01:50 PM

chrishuyen
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 1:52pm

Tough week all around but especially rough for Back to the Future and Water for Elephants playing to particularly low capacities.  A decent start for Our Town, but it's certainly not the event that something like McNeal is, despite all the names they tried to pack in.  Cabaret seems to be coming down a bit too but I'm curious to see if the new cast will gain traction (word of mouth seems to prefer Adam Lambert so it's possible this could pick up).

Still impressive for Oh Mary to be riding so high every week (and the highest average ticket this week!), and Stereophonic is also still doing fairly well for a play even if their overall grosses have fallen a bit since the Tonys.  

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 1:59pm

Most shows dropped quite a bit last week, and yet Broadway still is in a better place than during last season’s fall slump. 

Oh look, a bibu!

gibsons2
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 2:06pm

Sooo... few more weeks and we'll see Cabaret on TDF, I reckon. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 2:25pm

Cabaret probably won't do this since their entire business model is to (hopefully) have a rotating batch of stars in the lead roles for years, but...they really should have Adam Lambert record a song from the show and release it as its own single. I've heard from many people that they were blown away by his vocals (cuz duh), and this includes folks who saw the show with Eddie and much preferred Adam's performance.

I am personally very intrigued by Adam and Auli'i in these roles, but I just HATED the direction of this revival so much I am loathe to spend any more money on it. Promoting his powerhouse vocals in the role could help sway folks like me to buy tickets. A performance on a morning or late night show could do it too, though its not always easy to convince those bookers to book replacements for an already running bway show.

In other news, I wonder what Water for Elephants is waiting for. I have it on good authority that the Imperial already has another tenant lined up, so I assumed we would have gotten a closing notice by now. They treaded water for a while in the "these grosses are good for a standard musical, but not one this expensive to run" and have now fallen to just plain bad grosses that no musical could ever sustain.

I thought Back to the Future would survive until New Years, but it feels quite dicey to do that now. We are entering into October...I would announce the winter closing now to try and drum up tourist ticket sales (at hopefully high prices). This strategy doesn't pan out for most shows, but I think it actually could for BTTF.

Updated On: 9/24/24 at 02:25 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 2:26pm

The name on everybody’s lips is apparently not Alyssa Milano. Yikes

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 2:34pm

Eek!

If JULIET intends to start stunt-casting or star-casting, they should begin that immediately. I'm sure there are other shows that would love to play the Sondheim this spring.

Any word on timing for BTTF and WATER announcements? SUFFS, perhaps, has a little more leeway before an announcement.

On the plus side...

A surprisingly not-terrible start for HILLS OF CALIFORNIA considering the lack of stars. It's already better than any week PATRIOTS had. That doesn't mean it will be a hit, but some shows would kill to do 500K in previews. OUR TOWN is similarly starting a little better than I expected, but that's a very large cast and I expect there's some front-loading of sales.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 2:36pm

quizking101 said: "The name on everybody’s lips is apparently not Alyssa Milano. Yikes"

She was actually out all weekend and missed 5 shows. I believe she was back last night. Not a good start.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

pablitonizer
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 2:47pm

The fact The Notebook is still open is beyond comprehension...

W4E has been losing money since the end of June so I believe a closing notice is coming really really soon... also BTTF seems to be done on Broadway, but it'll do well on tour.

I'm concerned about some upcoming new shows this fall/Winter, sales do not seem impressive either

chrishuyen
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 2:51pm

I wonder if BTTF starting their tour early is eating into their Broadway sales.  I don't remember the exact timing but I think they announced tour dates fairly soon after Broadway performances started so people may have decided to just wait for the tour to come to them (and outside of the last bit in the finale it doesn't seem like the tour is all that scaled down)

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:01pm

chrishuyen said: "I wonder if BTTF starting their tour early is eating into their Broadway sales. I don't remember the exact timing but I think they announced tour dates fairly soon after Broadway performances started so people may have decided to just wait for the tour to come to them (and outside of the last bit in the finale it doesn't seem like the tour is all that scaled down)"

This is a really good point, but I'm inclined to say the tour is not having a major impact on Broadway sales at a historically slow time of year. It is a show for tourists, tourism is low right now, and general interest in it is softening after a year+ of being on Broadway. The tour will sell like gangbusters.

Updated On: 9/24/24 at 03:01 PM

singer234
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:01pm

Yeah yikes for a lot of this but I do wonder how Water for Elephants has not announced yet. Smash has clearly been teasing their announcement for weeks and is just waiting on this notice, right? Maybe the producers for W4E are just trying to stick it to them lol. I'd also be annoyed if I were Smash and a show that's clearly dead was keeping me from building momentum, but that's show biz! Lol.

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:05pm

chrishuyen said: "I wonder if BTTF starting their tour early is eating into their Broadway sales."

From the moment they announced the very early starting date of the tour, I worried about this very thing. They're having an autumn sale and yet they're still playing to almost half empty houses now.  The odds of me being able to use my January tickets are getting slimmer with each passing week.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:10pm

singer234 said: "Yeah yikes for a lot of this but I do wonder how Water for Elephants has not announced yet. Smash has clearly been teasing their announcement for weeks and is just waiting on this notice, right? Maybe the producers for W4E are just trying to stick it to them lol. I'd also be annoyed if I were Smash and a show that's clearly dead was keeping me from building momentum, but that's show biz! Lol."

It doesn't work that way.

If a show is selling poorly, the landlord gives the current tenant a closing date (or they mutually agree upon one). The timing of the closing announcement is negotiated between the current tenant (W4E), the future tenant (SMASH), and the landlord (Shubert Org). Whether SMASH announces tomorrow or in 2 weeks or in 2 months is not going to have much impact on sales for a Spring 2025 opening. The majority of ticketbuyers aren't buying months ahead.

Updated On: 9/24/24 at 03:10 PM

WearSunblock
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:13pm

I imagine the producers of Moulin Rouge will be paying even more attention to the numbers this coming week.They took a big hit last week (but still cleared a million) with JoJo out all week (book tour) and Aaron out all weekend.  This week Aaron is out 6 shows (baby??). If the numbers don't drop (or if they rise) they will probably be much more comfortable with the cast changes coming soon.

I am pretty new to looking at the numbers and outside of keeping people employed...which is a great thing....is there any logical reason The Notebook is staying open?  Are they hoping for an uptick??

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:23pm

WearSunblock said: "is there any logical reason The Notebook is staying open? Are they hoping for an uptick??"

That's a decision of the producer (Kevin McCollum) and the landlord (Shubert Org). If Shubert doesn't need the house until springtime, there's no harm in it staying open if Kevin or another investor can cover the losses of the production via a loan. There have been rumors of Notebook being kept open for McCollum tax writeoff purposes, but I'm always deeeeeeeeeply skeptical of such things for a Broadway show.

A longer run can help the brand of the show for touring, licensing, international, album sales, etc. It's also a pride thing for the producer and creative team. But at this point, a September closing vs a December closing shouldn't mean much for the brand of the show (especially considering the three replacements that now need to be rehearsed and put in).

GoldenGiggery
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:26pm

Everyone here does realize that at the end of August, The Notebook announced it was planning to close on December 15th, right? Just seems like several people posting here missed that announcement. 

Wayman_Wong
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:27pm

''This week Aaron is out 6 shows''

Any idea which shows he's doing? A friend was thinking of going this week, principally to catch Aaron. Thanks!

Updated On: 9/24/24 at 03:27 PM

WearSunblock
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:31pm

Aaron is on tonight and Sunday.

Thanks for the reply, Ermengarde!!  I know it is closing in December, but I guess I am just surprised they are bringing in replacements and going for a few more months when things look....bad.

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:43pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "chrishuyen said: "I wonder if BTTF starting their tour early is eating into their Broadway sales. I don't remember the exact timing but I think they announced tour dates fairly soon after Broadway performances started so people may have decided to just wait for the tour to come to them (and outside of the last bit in the finale it doesn't seem like the tour is all that scaled down)"

This is a really good point, but I'm inclined to saythe tour isnot having amajorimpact on Broadway sales at a historically slow time of year. It is a show for tourists, tourism is low right now, and general interest in it is softening after a year+ of being on Broadway. The tour will sell like gangbusters.
"

I think starting the tour less than a year into the Broadway run was a bit aggressive and may have played a part in the soft sales the show saw over the summer. The New York production has always been an easy ticket with discounts readily available (rush, lotto, codes, TKTS) but its box office exceled during the holidays and spring break so one would assume history would repeat itself when the tourists were back in full force. Sure, they are going to make a mint on the road so I only feel bad for the Broadway cast and crew who will likely be getting a closing notice soon.

Also, I know the show markets itself to a more nontraditional audience (the endorsement of the Jets players on Hard Knocks for instance) but (and I hate to say it) A-Rodge had a great game last week, the Mets are playing out of their minds to reach a playoff berth, and the Yankees are a game away from clinching the AL East. Lots of excitement in the tri-state area right now, I know I've been preoccupied. Updated On: 9/24/24 at 03:43 PM

singer234
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 3:45pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "singer234 said: "Yeah yikes for a lot of this but I do wonder how Water for Elephants has not announced yet. Smash has clearly been teasing their announcement for weeks and is just waiting on this notice, right? Maybe the producers for W4E are just trying to stick it to them lol. I'd also be annoyed if I were Smash and a show that's clearly dead was keeping me from building momentum, but that's show biz! Lol."

It doesn't work that way.

If a show is selling poorly, the landlord gives the current tenant a closing date (or they mutually agree upon one). The timing of the closing announcement is negotiated between the current tenant (W4E), the future tenant (SMASH), and the landlord (Shubert Org). Whether SMASH announces tomorrow or in 2 weeks or in 2 monthsis not going to have much impact on sales for a Spring 2025 opening. The majority of ticketbuyers aren't buying months ahead.
"

I know it doesn't work that way-I'm just saying I would be annoyed if I were either party, personally lol. But you are exactly right, and in fact it's probably better for Smash to keep anticipation building.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 4:06pm

chrishuyen said:

"Still impressive for Oh Mary to be riding so high every week (and the highest average ticket this week!)"

And breaking the Lyceum's house record once again, by around $56k.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 4:55pm

Getting national companies out is always a battle for shows, hits or otherwise.

If you surveyed most producers, I bet they'd advocate for getting a show out on BTTF's schedule, even if it meant sacrificing a bit of the Broadway revenue. A lot of shows can't get a tour out for 1.5-2 years and sometimes buzz/interest has died by then. The BTTF schedule is easier said than done and only doable because it's a big branded property and started in London first.

THE PRODUCERS producers lamented that maybe opening 2 tours was too ambitious, but the show was hot and they wanted to capitalize on buzz. Both companies lasted about 2 years and made money. MORMON, on the other hand, was smart to open two companies 2012; they ran 4 and 8 years respectively.

HAMILTON opening in Chicago a mere 13 months after opening on Broadway took a massive effort. Opening 3 other companies in 2017, 2018, and 2019 was a gamble and were it not for the pandemic might have proved to be a poor decision.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/22/24
Posted: 9/24/24 at 5:14pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "There have been rumors of Notebook being kept open for McCollum tax writeoff purposes, but I'm always deeeeeeeeeply skeptical of such things for a Broadway show."

Not only am I skeptical of it, I am not aware of any tax break for business losses that are greater than the losses themselves, so this explanation never makes any sense to me (for Broadway or any other industry). I'm open to being educated about this, but I've asked here before and have never gotten an explanation of how that might work.

Your other suggestions for why The Notebook stays open make much more sense to me.

Latest Posts

Videos