News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)- Page 3

Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#50Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 7:35pm

It's really embarrassing that theater owners didn't install serious air purifying/filtration HVAC systems after the pandemic. 

This kind of thing is just going to get worse. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

BorisTomashevsky
#51Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 7:35pm

Evening shows should have been cancelled once it became known that people struggled in the matinees.

No amount of air purifiers from Best Buy is going to combat what those large theatre doors let in, especially with the slip stream of an audience walking one way - inwards. 

Now they’re making them go on tonight, making them take deep breaths (even in concert form, Shucked cast members will be breathing deeply), having their eyes sting, and laying the foundation for severe lung and vocal issues. 

Feeling for any performers who are working in unsafe conditions. There will be attorneys eager to take your calls, I’m sure. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#52Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 7:38pm

Yeah no shows should be going on tonight.

Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#53Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 7:41pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Charlotte needs to go bye bye. All shows should be canceled with this air quality"

I'm surprised she still has this position and hear she's not really liked in the industry. So why is it that she's still President of the League?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#54Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 7:42pm

In general, I think it's good to let individual shows decide with cancellations. But given that this is a temporary problem, it seems like maybe a blanket decision to cancel evening performances should have been made for today and it should have been made earlier in the day (after the matinees). Same for tomorrow if the situation warrants. It shouldn't last long, this isn't COVID. It is the right thing to do.

Especially because actors performing & then getting sick will be more of a headache than just cancelling for a night.

Updated On: 6/7/23 at 07:42 PM

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#55Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 7:49pm

I believe that there will be many many more shows cancelling the next few days since those working tonight (both on and backstage) will be having major respiratory issues for a while......

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 6/7/23 at 07:49 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#56Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 8:22pm

Charlotte St. Martin is so useless. She proved her inability to lead or be effective in any way during the pandemic. Why is she still there? People are not to be exerting themselves in this air. This film coats the lungs and nasal passages. Look at what is sticking to cars (that’s also in your lungs.)

Cases of aspiration pneumonia are showing up in hospitals. 

She needs to retire (and a better wig) asap. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#57Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 8:52pm

I'd expect a lot of understudies going on the rest of the week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#58Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 9:30pm

Yeah, with the AQI levels in the area where I am, NO ONE should be outside! Earlier, the AQI Level was 464. As for Charlotte St. Martin, she needs to be fired from her position!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince
Updated On: 6/7/23 at 09:30 PM

bear88
#59Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 9:43pm

Michael Paulson reports that Jodie Comer is back for the Wednesday night performance of Prima Facie.

Jakeevan942
#60Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 9:51pm

From what I can tell from a friend on Twitter, Shucked is being done as a concert tonight, with Robert Horn and Brandy Clarke sharing the role of Maizy.

And since the original version of this came up at my day job today, Marc Shaiman wrote a 2023 version of his Oscar-nominated song from the South Park movie "Blame Canada"

BwayinVan
#61Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 9:56pm

I’m sorry all of you are having to deal with this smoke because living on the west coast I know how much it sucks. 7 of the last 8 summers have seen us have some of the worst air quality in the world. I get it’s bad out east but this is not a new thing unfortunately  but it seems to be getting more attention now it’s hit the east coast. Hopefully this will show more people that global warming is a thing and forest fires are no joke. The scariest part about it is that forest fire season doesn’t usually start until July. We already have a couple massive fires burning out of control in BC so I’m hoping that we will see “juneuary” and get some rain. Stay safe everyone. 

BorisTomashevsky
#62Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 9:57pm

If Caroline Innerbichler called out due to the air conditions, brava to her. Already admired her a lot, and that just increased. 

BwayinVan
#63Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 10:05pm

Wee Thomas2 said: "Blame Canada"

Seeing as the forest fires have increased with global warming and climate change and the US is the second largest emitter of greenhouse gases in the world….

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#64Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 10:20pm

BwayinVan said: "Wee Thomas2 said: "Blame Canada"

Seeing as the forest fires have increased with global warming and climate change and the US is the second largest emitter of greenhouse gases in the world….
"

It's a movie reference Soap Box.

MCW1227 Profile Photo
MCW1227
#65Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 10:22pm

Everything I’ve seen indicates it will be gone by Friday afternoon. Let’s hope! 

Be Kind

BwayinVan
#66Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 10:24pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "BwayinVan said: "Wee Thomas2 said: "Blame Canada"

"

It's a movie reference Soap Box.
"

Yeah I’m aware. Had it sung constantly in college

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#67Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 10:28pm

MCW1227 said: "Everything I’ve seen indicates it will be gone by Friday afternoon. Let’s hope!"

Hopefully, you are right about that!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#68Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 10:31pm

Sounds like the Shucked thing was unrelated to the air quality and more about illnesses in the cast. Hope they are better for the Tonys!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#69Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 10:57pm

During my commute home I'll admit this reminded me of the days before 2003 when public indoor smoking was legal here in NYC. For those old enough to remember, I recall going out to clubs/bars at night and when I get home, my clothes reeked of smoke. I myself don't smoke and can't believe I tolerated all that back then.

Stay safe everyone. Hopefully the smog will be gone by this weekend.

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#70Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/7/23 at 11:10pm

Wee Thomas2 said: "Blame Canada"

Yep, Marc Shaiman updated the song.

Ke3
#71Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/8/23 at 12:15am

Bettyboy72 said: "Charlotte St. Martin is so useless. She proved her inability to lead or be effective in any way during the pandemic. Why is she still there? People are not to be exerting themselves in this air. This film coats the lungs and nasal passages. Look at what is sticking to cars (that’s also in your lungs.)

Cases of aspiration pneumonia are showing up in hospitals.

She needs to retire (and a better wig) asap.
"

Totally unrelated but I read everything you post in Betty's voice and the wig part gave me a good laugh as a imagined it

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#72Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/8/23 at 2:50am

Wick3 said: "During my commute home I'll admit this reminded me of the days before 2003 when public indoor smoking was legal here in NYC. For those old enough to remember, I recall going out to clubs/bars at night and when I get home, my clothes reeked of smoke. I myself don't smoke and can't believe I tolerated all that back then.

Stay safe everyone. Hopefully the smog will be gone by this weekend.
"

I was in college from Fall 2003-Spring 2007. Not sure if Pennsylvania has banned smoking indoors, but they didn't back then. And forget the house parties. I still think what's going on now is worse. At least with bars and parties, you can escape to the outdoors for fresh air. And you are only exposing yourself for a few hours, not to mention it being safe to open windows. 

In all honesty, it was really bad before the matinees today, but seemed slightly better afterwards. But, it looked so much worse in NJ when we got out of the tunnel from Penn Station. I'm glad I decided to wear a mask outside because I had the unfortunate experience of waiting for almost an hour for my transfer train outside. There was nowhere to go.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Tom5
#73Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/8/23 at 3:25am

'Blame Canada'  nice update but the joke is sort of lost because on this we really should blame them. 

ManOfLaMuncha
#74Broadway and the NYC Air Emergency (June 2023)
Posted: 6/8/23 at 7:49am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12172925/Canada-smoke-Toxic-wiildfire-smog-chokes-America-second-day.html

'I can't breathe in this air': Jodie Comer is helped OFF stage minutes after Broadway show starts in toxic fumes engulfing New York City as America chokes for a THIRD day and hazardous haze could last until the weekend

Videos