News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

China Doll Previews Thread- Page 3

China Doll Previews Thread

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#50China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 3:39pm

Were there any exciting directorial moments? Or design moments? Or is it all pretty ho-hum?

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#51China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 5:37pm

Saw the final dress from the front mezz. I love Mamet, MacKinnon, and Pacino. It was my first time seeing Pacino live, and he was wonderful and natural. The design was nice, but what were with the building spires? Far off location? Apartment above the others? 

The play was a Mamet checklist. Talk-Speak/Speak-Talk? Check. Context that is everyday for an absurd reason? Check. Discussion of a women in a misogynistic way? Check. 20 minutes left so there better be a bit of double/crossing or the theme "things aren't always as they seem?" Check. Character observing way too much? Check.

Where does this story take place? What's the beef with the governor? Why is it called China Doll?

Glad I didn't have to pay for this one. It will sell well, and some people will like.

TerrenceIsTheMann
#52China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 5:59pm

"Were there any exciting directorial moments? Or design moments? Or is it all pretty ho-hum?

All ho-hum to me. Worst show I've seen this year.

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#53China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 6:23pm

I sold my tickets as fast as I could. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#54China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 6:26pm

Who bought them?  Did you get face value?

Poster Emeritus

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#55China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 6:34pm

Mr Roxy said: "Who bought them?  Did you get face value?

"

Sold them at Face value to a friend that usually turns around and sells them, or just uses them himself. They were good seats in Row AA during December, so I am sure he will still make money. I don't think he has seen this thread yet. :)

Not to be confused with Dave19.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#56China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 6:40pm

If he does not resell them and sees the show, you may lose a friend. If not, you may not be able to sell him tickets in the future.

Poster Emeritus

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#57China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 6:44pm

Mr Roxy said: "If he does not resell them and sees the show, you may lose a friend. If not, you may not be able to sell him tickets in the future."

Must you?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

sethleaf2 Profile Photo
sethleaf2
#58China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 6:46pm

I'll probably get skewered here because in full disclosure I'm part of the production, but I feel protective because this is a brand new play that has been on its feet for exactly two performances. You don't really get to do an out of town trial with a movie star but more importantly, give it a minute to find its rhythm because there some compelling material there which seemed overlooked by those who saw it so far. There may well have been distractions but that's the process of working in front of the public. That aside, the play is a conversation about power, politics, and the current insidious relationship between the two. It may also be commenting on a certain businessman who is very much in the spotlight these days. I'm just saying, give it a second to find its legs, there's some real good in there. I've been a fan of the boards for a long time and finally bit the bullet and formally joined. Feeling a bit protective I suppose. 

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#59China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 9:14pm

I have not posted or even read here at the BWW boards in years (approximately eight), but had to somehow see what people were saying after this one. The play is a disgrace to all involved, to the entire state of the American theater. It is the stuff of legends. May this be the worst production of a play in the American theater, I beg. I beg. Do not see this play. Or, see this play and witness history. I did not think witnessing such a thing was possible. 

Vary My Days.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#60China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 9:44pm

Which play was worse - The Anarchist or China Doll

Poster Emeritus

After Eight
#61China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 11:17pm

^

The Anarchist was worse.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#62China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 11:20pm

Seth, thanks for sharing and welcome officially to the board. As I mentioned, I do think there might be an interesting play buried deep in what is currently playing at the Schoenfeld, but right now it feels like the rough draft of a rough draft. Perhaps Pacino couldn't (or wouldn't) make time for an out of town try-out, and I'm sympathetic to the preview period, but China Doll is not ready to be seen by the full-price paying public on the Broadway stage at this time. 

I know you probably can only say so much on a public forum like this, but it would be fascinating to know what Mamet and MacKinnon are attempting to do in previews to right the ship. It might amount to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic at this point, but still I wish them (and you) the best.  

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

After Eight
#63China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 11:35pm

"May this be the worst production of a play in the American theater, I beg."

Bad as it was, it was not nearly as bad as such overhyped rot as John, Mr. Burns, The Realistic Joneses, Sons of the Prophet, The Humans, Jerusalem, Bad Jews, Hand to God, Act of God..... The list is long.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#64China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 11:44pm

Not having seen all those you list, I must agree re Joneses &Bad Jews. I disagree re your inclusion of The Humans.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/22/15 at 11:44 PM

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#65China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 11:50pm

Sethleaf2, I hear what you're saying, but after sitting through the last two Pacino performances on the Broadway stage, I wouldn't pay a nickel for this most self-indulgent and lazy of actors. Yes, he can still do it when he is provoked and inspired (ANGELS IN AMERICA), but the last 20 years of otherwise lazy, mannered, over bloated acting is unforgivable. Not unlike Robert De Niro, he is there strictly for the paycheck, not for his art. And yet patrons still flock to see him, at least on stage. Go figure.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#66China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/22/15 at 11:52pm

"Over hyped rot as...The Humans..."
For God's sake that play hasn't even opened yet. How can it be over hyped yet? Well, maybe it can be-I saw it 4 times already and it and the entire cast are wonderful.
These shows are in previews. Take a deep breath before you destroy them.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#67China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/23/15 at 12:28am

After Eight said: ""May this be the worst production of a play in the American theater, I beg."

Bad as it was, it was not nearly as bad as such overhyped rot as John, Mr. Burns, The Realistic Joneses, Sons of the Prophet, The Humans, Jerusalem, Bad Jews, Hand to God, Act of God..... The list is long."

If it's on the list with many of those, it may be good after all...

TerrenceIsTheMann
#68China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/23/15 at 1:02am

Tired of the "its not ready, its in previews" excuse. Lea Salonga just did the same thing for Allegiance last week. You have an audience of viewers who are paying top dollar, full prices for this show. It is not a rehearsal, it is not a free dress. It is a fully priced Broadway production. If I hate the show, I'm not going to be okay with the comment "its not ready" after paying full price for it.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#69China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/23/15 at 1:05am

Exactly.

Poster Emeritus

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#70China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/23/15 at 1:11am

admittedly not a Mamet fan - the last time - perhaps the only time - I enjoyed one of his plays was Oleanna with Julia Styles and Bill Pullman in LA.

Heck even as a kid when I went to see Madonna in Speed The Plow, I knew that this acclaimed playwright wasn't quite my cup of tea

And not a Pacino fan, at all...ever.  

But this thread is fascinating for what is being described - i can't recall a time on these boards when a play was trashed as much as this one - and only after a few previews.

The Other One
#71China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/23/15 at 7:09am

Pacino was so depressingly bad in the last revival of "Glengarry Glen Ross" that I am truly surprised Mamet wanted to work with him again.  

ramsay15 Profile Photo
ramsay15
#72China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/23/15 at 12:32pm

SeathLeaf2 said: I'll probably get skewered here because in full disclosure I'm part of the production, but I feel protective because this is a brand new play that has been on its feet for exactly two performances. You don't really get to do an out of town trial with a movie star but more importantly, give it a minute to find its rhythm because there some compelling material there which seemed overlooked by those who saw it so far.

I sympathize with SeathLeaf.   I saw The Anarchistic and hated it and I don't have high hopes for China Doll,  But I believe that, even after a rehearsal period, previews are an opportunity for the creatives to see before live audiences what works and doesn't work so that by the time that the show is frozen, the work is in as good shape as it is going to be. There will undoubtedly be substantial revisions.  I can't say that those alterations will change the final outcome, but the work on the show is still in progress.   It is a shame that people feel the need to condemn an entirely new work after two or three days of previews (and in one case after the dress rehearsal). Yes, I know people paid good money to see those previews, but if money is an issue maybe they should wait to buy tickets until after opening night..  

"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#73China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/23/15 at 12:41pm

Nope. Sorry. Those days are gone. These days there's no such thing as a true "preview period". First preview is opening night and you will be publicly reviewed on it starting at intermission. So that means that you'd better be damn sure what you're presenting is ready to be seen and reviewed when that first person who paid almost $200 to see your show steps foot into the theater. 

neonlightsxo
#74China Doll Previews Thread
Posted: 10/23/15 at 12:51pm

I don't remember ANYONE hyping Act of God, After Eight.

Seth, if you think it needs time to find its legs, then lock the doors and cancel performances. People paid full prices, they expect full priced performances.

Videos