News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Darren Criss in Hedwig

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#300Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/26/15 at 4:26pm

Thank god BroadwayWorld is offering up-to-the-minute updates on this unfolding drama.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

skies Profile Photo
skies
#301Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/26/15 at 4:28pm

Everyone here has offended me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. (homage to Jerry)

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

jdproductions97
#302Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/26/15 at 6:42pm

See Hedwig and get $20 off your first order on TodayTix when you enter my code EOATA at checkout.  http://todaytix.com/refer/EOATA 

Prices start from $49, so when you add the extra discount, you're looking at one terrific deal!  Just click the link above.  Don't be shy!  Just need one more person to help me see Phantom!

WitchWicked
#303Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 1:48pm

What's inappropriate about choosing not to lift one's hands up?  And if someone is asking them to do so, what's wrong with shaking one's head 'no'?  That's not rude.  The taking pictures may have been, depending on how it was done; I know people have recorded the entire performance, even.

The can thing was an accident and Criss did apologize profusely for that.  I can't see him intentionally harming anyone, ever.  He wrote a long note on the can, even.

I do think the "Bruce Jenner" comment was out of place (and not scripted), but possibly in character, since Hedwig is a bitter person, in many respects.  That doesn't mean it was an appropriate comment, but I think it was simply ill-considered.  Not a great sense of comedy, but he apologized.  He's an out-spoken ally of LGBTQIA people and causes.

WitchWicked
#304Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 1:53pm

/snicker  I'm hoping you're not being obtuse and realize that, in that context, a "chink (...in the armor)" is a place where a deadly blow can be dealt.

WitchWicked
#305Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 2:01pm

I don't care too much about who the performer is; it sounds as if all have had interesting and well done interpretations of the role.

I'm still trying to figure out the message, though.  I get that Hedwig is a victim of a botched MtF surgery and who may have been pressured into the surgery somehow, but I don't get why there wasn't the usual hormone treatment, top surgery first, THEN lower surgery?  And corrections can be made, anyway.  Any Hedwig appears to (at the end) revel in his/her very obviously male body, so is it a self-discovery to find that s/he is NOT trans?  Or has multiple personality disorder?  Or what?  (I'm exaggerating a tad, since I and a couple of friends have been trying to open the treasure box and find the message for a while). 

Anyone?

FindingNamo
#306Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 2:11pm

In all good conscience, I can not help someone see Phantom.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#307Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 2:40pm

" I don't get why there wasn't the usual hormone treatment, top surgery first, THEN lower surgery? And corrections can be made, anyway."

Because they couldn't wait. They had to make the next bus out of town.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

peacelovemagic1 Profile Photo
peacelovemagic1
#308Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 3:11pm

The surgery is done quickly and illegally, as is mentioned by Hedwig in the lead up to Angry Inch. She is pressured to have the surgery by Luther (Spoiler alert here I guess) Who will take Hedwig to America, but can't marry her without the surgery since in Germany they did a full physical examination. The surgery happened somewhere in the 1980's I would imagine (I don't remember an actual date being used in the show) But back then, it would have been completely illegal.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#309Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 3:32pm

They marry in East Berlin on November 9, 1988. The surgery was presumably done a few days before, if not the day before. The hole closes up two days later, and I assumed they were out of Berlin by then.

I always got the impression it wasn't a "real" sex-reassignment surgery anyway, considering their location and probably lack of much money. The doctor removed Hansel's penis and fashioned a makeshift vagina, but I think the aim (probably unbeknownst to Hansel) was just to make sure that there was no penis down there when he submitted to the "full physical examination" Luther mentioned is required before they leave. When men transition to women with surgery, they are required to place something inside the new vagina to keep it from closing (I know there's an technical name, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head). This was likely not done, which is why the new cavity closed and formed the angry inch.

As for the end, I think it's written intentionally vague, because at that point the narrative is less important than the themes. I've always thought the line from "Exquisite Corpse" about time collapsing and space warping could be taken literally, and helps to explain why we suddenly see Tommy before us after only hearing him out the door the entire night.

When it's all said and done, I think it's valid to ask if Hedwig even really existed or if she was just a figment of Tommy's imagination. It's also equally valid to ask Tommy really existed or if he was just a figment of Hedwig's imagination. I don't necessarily believe either are true, but like I said, the narrative becomes less important than the themes when it's all said and done. (The movie of course is a different animal, since there are two distinct people in the roles)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#310Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 4:03pm

I agree with PRS and Jane. It was not a legitimate sex reassignment surgery- the point wasn't exactly to change Hansel's sex.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#311Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 4:41pm

The third interpretation is that there is neither a Hedwig nor a Tommy- the whole thing comes apart in the final moments, revealing that both "characters" were fictional or facets of a third figure- the actor himself.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#312Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 5:14pm

^ Never heard of that before.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#313Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/27/15 at 5:23pm

I've come to conclude that, as soon as the green spot hits Hedwig, we enter into the consciousness (or perhaps collective consciousness, who knows) including the mental breakdown and ultimate self-actualization of the character. I think the set breakdown and the final bare stage supports this theory. Add to that the surreality of Yitzhak's transformation and the exit of the character into the void. From that moment on, we are no longer at the Belasco as we once were. 

Updated On: 6/28/15 at 05:23 PM

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#314Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/28/15 at 10:04pm

I just saw Hedwig for the only time, last Tuesday. Darren Criss was highly energetic, and gave a great performance, but I didn't get a bunch of the references, and I REALLY didn't get the story.  BTW, I don't think Taye Diggs, the next Hedwig, looks like a female, probably to the relief of his little son, Walker.

Audrey

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

FindingNamo
#315Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/28/15 at 10:15pm

You think his little son Walker would be stressed in some way by the fact that his daddy plays dress up and looks feminine?  Do you think it causes him irritation when he sees pictures of his mommy with green skin?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#316Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/28/15 at 10:31pm

This doesn't have to do with Darren in Hedwig, but I have a few questions regarding the movie.

- Why does the movie cut "The Long Grift" and change the structure of Hedwig's breakdown?

- Why does the movie soundtrack have all the songs (mostly) out of order? Also why is "The Long Grift" on it, if it was cut from the film?

thanks so much!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#317Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/29/15 at 11:24am

Are the potential future children of former Hedwigs like Michael C. Hall, Darren Criss, and Andrew Rannells going to be traumatized should they ever come upon photos of their daddies in drag?
And what will NPH's children do?!
WHY IS NO ONE THINKING OF THE CHILDREN?!

broadwaygeek3
#318Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/30/15 at 1:50pm

There's a youtube video where he talks about this incident. I've seen the show. He does motion for the audience to stand up right before Rebecca runs out to take her bow. He says that he was asking them to stand up for her....he wasn't demanding a standing ovation for himself. We also saw him at the stagedoor and he is very kind to all the fans waiting to see him. And they are all kinds of crazy.(I was with my teenage daughter who LOVES him otherwise I would have been out of there). It is absolutely crazy how many people want to touch him or tell them about themselves. He "acts" as though he's listening and he thanks them for waiting. He's actually really polite about it, as he should be. I've seen some actors be downright rude. 

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#319Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 6/30/15 at 3:21pm

"There's a youtube video where he talks about this incident. I've seen the show. He does motion for the audience to stand up right before Rebecca runs out to take her bow. He says that he was asking them to stand up for her....he wasn't demanding a standing ovation for himself. We also saw him at the stagedoor and he is very kind to all the fans waiting to see him. And they are all kinds of crazy.(I was with my teenage daughter who LOVES him otherwise I would have been out of there). It is absolutely crazy how many people want to touch him or tell them about themselves. He "acts" as though he's listening and he thanks them for waiting. He's actually really polite about it, as he should be. I've seen some actors be downright rude. "

The witch hunt going on with celebrities these days is ridiculous. I would have hoped that it could stay out of the Broadway community, yet here we are.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#320Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:40am

I've witnessed a lot of what geek3 mentions, but I don't actually think it's an act that he's listening. He's always been the type of person who is about the fans, and despite the absolute psychos who I've seen scream, lose it, come dressed up like him or his Glee character, I don't think I've felt like his interaction with them was anything less than genuine. 

I haven't bitten the bullet and seen him in Hedwig or been down that way much at all, but I'm going to soon since he leaves soon. Although, I can't imagine anything is worse than the ordeal of his run in How to Succeed and the absolute chaos that ensued every night. At least there's no mass exodus moment like there was right after Brotherhood of Man. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 7/1/15 at 12:40 AM

timisimaginary
#321Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:54am

" BTW, I don't think Taye Diggs, the next Hedwig, looks like a female, probably to the relief of his little son, Walker.
Audrey"

http://www.broadway.com/videos/156216/video-taye-diggs-on-his-glittery-broadway-comeback-lipstick-shopping-being-the-first-chocolate-hedwig/#play

this should answer any worries you have about his son.

"and I REALLY didn't get the story."

we can see that.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#322Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:09am

Why does the movie cut "The Long Grift" and change the structure of Hedwig's breakdown?

There's a deleted scene where Phyllis and Hedwig dress up as maids to sneak into Tommy's hotel. "The Long Grift" is playing in the background in that scene. I'm guessing it was never intended to be used like it is in the stage version, because most of what Hedwig talks about on stage is shown literally.

I'm not sure what you mean about the structure of the breakdown. I don't know why the song order is different on the album. Maybe they thought it would flow better that way on disc?

timisimaginary
#323Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:58pm

well, Long Grift is the song they're working on when they talk about love and Tommy has his Eve and the Apple speech, so it is in the film still, in that small way.

maxkko Profile Photo
maxkko
#324Darren Criss in Hedwig
Posted: 7/1/15 at 7:06pm

What I mean about "structure" is when in the stage show, it happens right after the line "Why don't you love the front of me?". But in the Movie, there is a whole bunch more after that scene.

Videos