News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018- Page 11

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#250Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/27/17 at 10:24pm

^That is if she ends up being cast.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#251Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/27/17 at 10:41pm

Someone in the Mean Girls thread pointed out the casting announcement only said for the D.C. run, which could mean they are expecting someone to leave or get fired by the time the show gets to Broadway. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#252Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/27/17 at 11:52pm

I somehow doubt Ashley Park would be cast as Gretchen with the expectation that she won't continue with the production. I mean, it could happen, but Gretchen is a juicy role and Park is a very buzzy actress right now--not to mention the fact she is ideally cast in that role. I have no inside knowledge so I could be wrong, but I'd bet that she's not involved in MY FAIR LADY.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Lauren Ambrose is Sher's choice (and her name is similar to "Laura" which could fit Jordan's clue). She's just magnificent, and if Sher thought she had the range to belt "Don't Rain on My Parade," he must be confident in her singing voice (yes, I know that Eliza requires a different range than Fanny Brice). Still, I'm rooting for Benanti, it just sort of feels like a pipe dream the more time goes on. Ambrose is the most appealing alternative to Benanti I've read about though. I'd love to see her as Eliza...for now, I'll hold out hope for Benanti fully knowing that it's most likely not going to be her (maybe?).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

broadwayboy223
#253Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 12:17am

What were Jordan's clues? His post seems to have been deleted. 

10086Sundays
#254Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 12:51am

broadwayboy223 - Look on page 7.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#255Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 12:53am

Ambrose is nearly 40 and is entirely wrong for the role.  If Sher doesn't have a problem casting a woman thirty five or older, he better go with Benanti.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#256Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 11:34am

Does anyone have an idea when they're planning on announcing the final cast? 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

broadwayboy223
#257Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 11:36am

I hope we hear soon. I wonder if they are still trying to find Higgins idk. 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#258Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 12:23pm

I hope we get a casting announcement soon. The anticipation is killing me! I'd guess Benanti and maybe Ashley (if she isn't doing Mean Girls on Broadway that is) are the front runners.

broadwayboy223
#259Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 3:41pm

If Laura is announced i swear I will purchase tickets ASAP. I'd love to see her shine in this part.

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#260Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 4:14pm

I hate to be the one to say this, but isn't Laura a little old for the part? Not that she's old, but isn't Eliza usually played by someone in their lower 20s?? Other than that, I'm still gunning for nontraditional casting.

#261Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 4:16pm

If they're looking for an older actor to play Higgins, they might want someone Laura's age to make the age difference less gross. Really hoping Laura is Eliza!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#262Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 4:18pm

Jordan's "within the next week or so" prophecy was posted nearly two weeks ago. Now with Ashley Park in Mean Girls (at least in D.C. this fall) and Laura Benanti questionably being cast in Steve Martin's play, any name remains fair game as far as I'm concerned. 

Still gunning for Phillipa Soo.

GeorgeandDot
#263Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 4:18pm

dianamorales said: "I hate to be the one to say this, but isn't Laura a little old for the part? Not that she's old, but isn't Eliza usually played by someone in their lower 20s?? Other than that, I'm still gunning for nontraditional casting."

Shaw wrote the role for a 47 year old woman and Hepburn was like 36 in the film, so.... no.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#264Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 4:39pm

And Julie Andrews was 20 when she originated the role.

broadwayboy223
#265Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 5:42pm

Lauren Ambrose is one year older then Laura so if ones being considered the other one should be too. And as for the Steve Martin play like.... I'm 100% sure if Laura was offered her dream role should would take it over anything else. We don't know anything right now and I'm hoping we hear soon. 

GeorgeandDot
#266Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 5:47pm

Also Meteor Shower is happening in the fall, isn't it?  The show could be closed or Benanti may have left before March when MFL opens.

broadwayboy223
#267Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 5:50pm

We don't even know if Meteor Shower is happening. We basically don't know anything. It's frustrating, but I feel like we will know soon. 

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#268Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 6:06pm

With all of the GREAT COMET drama today, I could see Denee Benton doing this after her COMET contract is up. She has the perfect voice for it, and I'd love to see her comedic chops.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#269Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 6:48pm

Yeah, no, I sincerely doubt Ashley Park would have taken "Mean Girls" had she gotten Eliza. I'd be so disappointed if she didn't continue as Gretchen. I'm sure she'll be a riot. And perhaps she could snag a Tony nomination while she's at it! There must be a killer comedic song about stabbing Caesar that she can really lay into.

I'd be thrilled with Soo, Benton, and especially Benanti. I love living in a world where most of the dreamcasts of this role are non-white. It's lovely. In the end I'd be most thrilled with Benanti (#BenantiOrBust), really, just because she wants it so bad and I truly do think she'd be the best choice, but no matter what I'm assuming the choice is going to be thrilling. Soo would be terribly fantastic, as well. And she drips charm and charisma, as seen in "Amélie" - really, there are so many ways to take it. I'm just dying waiting for the official announcement.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Jeffrey Karasarides
#270Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 7:44pm

As I keep saying, Bartlett Sher hasn't really done any major colorblind casting in any of his productions (not counting Ann Sanders in The King & I because she was only understudying the role of Anna Leonowens). So I'd be surprised if he casts Denee Benton, Ashley Park, or Phillipa Soo as Eliza Doolittle.

froote
#271Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 7:46pm

Phillipa Soo is white-passing to most people.

CindersGolightly
#272Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 8:01pm

Jeffrey - we hear you. We know you are very well read on Sher and Lincoln Center. We know every person we through out as a dreamcast, you're surprised at. It's okay. We are, quite literally, dreamcasting. But also: you seem to be doing a lot of talking for Sher. I know it's not what he's done before, but maybe this time is different. Maybe this time he'll actually assemble a diverse cast. Who knows. And to contribute further to what you've said in this thread before: I too think Emily Padgett would be a wonderful Eliza, and I would hope she was (or is) in the running. I'd prefer her to transfer with "Sweet Charity," but I am a gigantic fan of hers, so seeing her as a clear cut lead again would be magic.

CindersGolightly
#273Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/28/17 at 9:46pm

Could this be it?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889

Videos