News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018- Page 13

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#300Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 2:23am

Is she that big of a deal to warrant her going on a daytime talk show to announce it? I don't know anyone outside of this board - or people in the theater - that know who she is? 

10086Sundays
#301Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 2:29am

If she is there for MFL, any chance she would also announce who's going to play Higgins?  Or would they want to give him his own announcement? (Assuming he's been cast of course.)

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#302Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 2:31am

I feel like "Nashville," "Supergirl," and especially her appearance as Melania has greatly risen her fame enough to justify a talk show announcement. Plus, rich white stay at home parents will likely be watching. I'm sure Higgins will be a Hollywood name, so they don't necessarily need extra press, but it's nice to generate that buzz. Plus, and this is definitely reaching, but the "Oh, well since I wasn't able to come on when I was supposed to a couple of weeks ago, I have an announcement to make it up to you!" narrative is exciting.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#303Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 5:40am

Great. Now you guys got me all excited about the announcement even though I had worked so hard to try to put the idea that Laura Benanti would get cast in this out of my mind so I wouldn't get my hopes dashed. I feel for whoever doesn't get why her casting as Eliza Dolittle would be one of the most exciting matches of a role and a performer in recent memory. If there's such a thing as being born to play a role, Laura Benanti was born to play Eliza. I really really really want it to be her. But again, I won't believe it until I'm sitting at the Beaumont watching her light up the stage.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#304Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 5:43am

If she's cast I suspect she'll win her first leading actress Tony Award.  She's worked hard for this and she is just oh so perfect for the role.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#305Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 7:06am

Perhaps they'll cast OAK!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#306Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 7:14am

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Perhaps they'll cast OAK!"

I'm so curious as to why you thought this was funny. If you're going to make a topical joke, for the love of goodness, at least do something with it. Incredibly lazy.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#307Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 7:44am

He's been an asshole since his old username. 

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#308Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 7:52am

Apparently Laura sang "I Could Have Danced All Night" in Westport 9 years ago:

http://through-my-memoirs.tumblr.com/post/138559472886/laura-benanti-sings-i-could-have-danced-all-night

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 07:52 AM

froote
#309Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 8:37am

Can we stop with the patronizing? There's no need to feel sorry for anyone for not being excited about Laura. She's very talented, just not someone I get particularly excited to watch, therefore it kind of sucks when she gets cast in parts that she isn't even the right age for. We all have different opinions. Margo says she doesn't find Phillipa exciting, whereas I find her thrilling to watch etc. I'm sure we'll all get over it and enjoy the show anyway.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#310Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 8:40am

GeorgeandDot said: "Ambrose is nearly 40 and is entirely wrong for the role.  If Sher doesn't have a problem casting a woman thirty five or older, he better go with Benanti."

I'm not sure that Ambrose has the notes for Eliza (maybe yes, maybe no) but "entirely wrong for the role?"
No!  In fact, apart from the vocal range question, Ambrose, who sings very well, is entirely right for Eliza.  She also looks a great deal younger than her 39 years, which is roughly the same age as Benanti's.

I'd be very happy with Benanti, but I'm very intrigued by the possibility of Ambrose as Eliza.

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 08:40 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#311Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 9:10am

GeorgeandDot said: "If she's cast I suspect she'll win her first leading actress Tony Award.  She's worked hard for this and she is just oh so perfect for the role."

I don't know about that. If Amber Riley ends up coming to Broadway with Dreamgirls, she might have the race sewn up.

JustAFan3
#312Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 9:13am

I love Laura Benanti, but I was/am hoping for a fresh face.  Does Broadway usually make cast announcements on TV shows?  It just seems really odd to me.  Has it been done before?  I agree with a former poster - as well known as Laura is in Broadway circles, I doubt the majority of people even know who she is.  Irregardless of who they cast - I will be in attendance!  MFL is one of my favorite shows and I am looking forward to it!  Carousel as well!!

mehtotheworld
#313Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:27am

JustAFan3 said: "I love Laura Benanti, but I was/am hoping for a fresh face.  Does Broadway usually make cast announcements on TV shows?  It just seems really odd to me.  Has it been done before?  I agree with a former poster - as well known as Laura is in Broadway circles, I doubt the majority of people even know who she is.  Irregardless of who they cast - I will be in attendance!  MFL is one of my favorite shows and I am looking forward to it!  Carousel as well!!

"

Laura probably isn't that well known out of the theater, but she has done a bunch of shows (Nashville, Supergirl, etc.) and she's gone viral with her Melania impression. So she's got some steam behind her!

divarobbie2 Profile Photo
divarobbie2
#314Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:40am

Laura is not doing My Fair Lady.

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#315Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:44am

divarobbie2 said: "Laura is not doing My Fair Lady.

Source?

broadwayboy223
#316Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:47am

I'm going to be SO SAD if she isn't in MFL 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#317Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:52am

If it isn't her, I'm curious who will. It seems like the two frontrunners (Benanti and Park) are out. I'd love to see Kelli O'Hara do her take on the role. I'm still hoping on Benanti or Pippa to do it though

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 11:52 AM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#318Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 11:58am

I'm less concerned about who's going to play Eliza than I am by the fact that this thread has included both "white-passing" and "irregardless." I can't decide which one is more offensive.

broadwayboy223
#319Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 12:03pm

Where's Jordan when you need him to say something? Seriously his clues mostly pointed to Laura. If it's not her, I'm hoping it's Kelli. I just see Laura nailing this part though. It would be a joy to see for sure.

froote
#320Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 12:05pm

hork said: "I'm less concerned about who's going to play Eliza than I am by the fact that this thread has included both "white-passing" and "irregardless." I can't decide which one is more offensive."

Sorry, what exactly is the issue with white-passing? It's a phrase that is widely used, including by scholars and academics. Certainly doesn't erase the ethnicity of the person in question.

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 12:05 PM

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#321Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 12:33pm

Robbie would know about Laura's schedule.

I don't know what the fvck this PR company is, since all signs point to Laura and MFL... Annoying, to say the least, especially since Laura is so perfect for the role.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

hork Profile Photo
hork
#322Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 12:40pm

froote said: "hork said: "I'm less concerned about who's going to play Eliza than I am by the fact that this thread has included both "white-passing" and "irregardless." I can't decide which one is more offensive."

Sorry, what exactly is the issue with white-passing? It's a phrase that is widely used, including by scholars and academics. Certainly doesn't erase the ethnicity of the person in question.

There's so much wrong with it. Here's an article to explain some of it. 

https://medium.com/la-gente-unida/dont-call-me-white-passing-privilege-and-mistaken-identity-42cd1f05cae5

froote
#323Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 12:45pm

People can have different views on the phrase but it's not widely thought of as offensive and many people of color use it to describe themselves, as well as each other.

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 12:45 PM

broadwayboy223
#324Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/29/17 at 12:58pm

I'm still hoping it's Laura. She's literally perfect for this part. 

Updated On: 7/29/17 at 12:58 PM

Videos