News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Funny Girl 2022 Revival

SoCalDirector
#125Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 4:37pm

Sutton Ross said: "There is no video that exists that proves she can handle the score of Funny Girl.Because she cannot. But, enjoy the show!"

And you know this how?  She sat you down and sang the entire score for you?  PLEASE, give us a break.  We don't know what is what.   You are all wasting a lot of breath for something that may or may not be the case.  

Fanny's daughter said Streisand wouldn't never play her mother.  Ooops.  She was wrong and Streisand made her and her husband a fair amount of money.

Miles Robert Mills

SoCalDirector
#126Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 4:40pm

Sutton Ross said: "How can you be an "authority" on something fairly unknown.

That person was asking a question, not being an authority for anything/anyone.

And, considering Lauren Ambrose is a trained opera singer which waspublic knowledge, I doubt anyone questioned whether she could sing the part. Which she did so beautifully.

I love that you waste so much space answering every question separately. Oh, and that video? With horrible sound, more than a decade old and her singing with other people?? Hahaha. My answer is still true, you just failed to understand what I was saying.Funny Girl 2022 Revival
"

If it is so important to you, and these things seem to be why don't you got back and read all of the posts on here where people said just that.  So I was say you doubted wrong.  I knew she had classical training and had no doubts but was amused by all of the people who did.  That said I didn't love her as Eliza in terms of acting.

Miles Robert Mills

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#127Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 4:46pm

SoCalDirector said: "Idinamenzel18 said: "lol literally no one wants Beanie as Fanny. Good luck selling tickets if this is the actual casting. People aren't going to flock to see Funny Girl without a big name attached."

That remains to be seen but so audacious for you to attempt to speak for everyone.
"

It's kinda true? Yes Beanie is definitely a decent performer but I doubt audiences will flock to see her onstage. Unless Funny Girl has a rotation of performers like Waitress and its many Jennas, I can imagine Funny Girl not selling well. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#128Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 4:54pm

And you know this how? She sat you down and sang the entire score for you? PLEASE, give us a break. We don't know what is what. You are all wasting a lot of breath for something that may or may not be the case.

I wasted no breath typing, brah. And I don't think the dude that posted 10 times in a row to respond to people's comments should talk about wasting people's anything. Everyone has an opinion, and it's okay if it differs from yours. Your hilarious trigger reactions are incredibly amusing, though. 

Oh, and I know this because the best singer's in the world have to work very hard to make "Rain on my Parade" amazing. Someone who can simply harmonize and speak/sing isn't really up for that 8 shows a week. Can vocal coaches make a below average singer sound like Audra McDonald? If so, awesome!!!! But, yeah no.

Updated On: 8/8/21 at 04:54 PM

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#129Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 5:17pm

I hope the actor chosen to portray Fanny Brice will look kinda like, well, Fanny Brice.    

Non sibi sed patriae

orlikethecolorpurple
#130Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 6:43pm

SoCalDirector said: "orlikethecolorpurple said: "Are there any great videos showcasing Beanie’s voice? I loved her in Dolly and I love her film work, but I’ve never been like “wow, voice.”"

I've seen a Youtube video or two of her in a vocal concert and was surprised at the rich voice coming from her. It remains to be seen. Amazingly how many were saying the same thing about Lauren Ambrose before My Fair Lady opened.

How can you be an "authority" on something fairly unknown.
"

Wtf? How was my question being an authority on anything? It came from my knowledge of her and giving her the benefit of the doubt. Get over yourself. 

pollster2
#131Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 6:55pm

I think Micaela Diamond would make an excellent Fanny.

Sutton Ross
#132Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 7:14pm

Get over yourself.

100% this all day. 

pollster2
#133Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 7:57pm

And Michael Park seems to imply it's Beanie:

https://twitter.com/park24hrs/status/1424519197854519296

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#134Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:07pm

pollster2 said: "And Michael Park seems to imply it's Beanie:

https://twitter.com/park24hrs/status/1424519197854519296
"

Just because Michael said she's in fact Jewish doesn't mean it's Beanie (though it's likely at this point). For all we know it could be Lea Michele or Shoshana Bean. 

Sutton Ross
#135Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:14pm

Lea is a great singer and she can sing these songs. We all know that. But, after Glee she kind of fell of the radar, has been outed as difficult to work with and possibly racist, and seems to be focusing on Motherhood. 

I would just have assumed to get people back to Broadway after a terrible pandemic, they would have put a big star in this to get people in the seats and pay premium prices. That is my surprise with this casting, that and the fact that the score is tough and needs a powerhouse singer. I was totally wrong. 

Yesterday, the mods do something they never do which is keep a totally non confirmed rumor up on this thread instead of quickly erasing as they do every other time something cannot be confirmed. So, that was my first clue. And with their tweets, it's obviously going to Beanie. Perhaps she will perform 6 times a week like Lauren and Laura did in My Fair Lady. 

Updated On: 8/9/21 at 08:14 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#136Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:25pm

It’s such an odd out of the blue choice, that i kinda now hope it’s real.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#137Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:32pm

I can’t muster up one ounce of excitement for Beanie Feldstein as Fanny. If it’s indeed her, all I can say is what a colossal missed opportunity for what could have been some thrilling and exciting casting for a very long awaited revival.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Jordan Catalano
#138Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:35pm

If this pans out, my hope is that she has a standby like Bette had, and that standby will be Shoshana.

A Director
#139Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:40pm

The producers should not do the revival. They should hire actors, Jewish or not, to read these postings and call the evening, P*SSING MATCH!

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#140Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:42pm

oooh having JUST seen Michaela Diamond in ROW up at Wilamstown, that would make for interesting casting. She's extremely talented. 

Sutton Ross
#141Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:43pm

Jordan Catalano said: "If this pans out, my hope is that she has a standby like Bette had, and that standby will be Shoshana."

That would be amazing. 

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#142Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:57pm

Sutton Ross said: "Lea is a great singer and she can sing these songs. We all know that. But, after Glee she kind of fell of the radar, has been outed as difficult to work with and possibly racist, and seems to be focusing on Motherhood.

I would just have assumed to get people back to Broadway after a terrible pandemic, they would have put a big star in this to get people in the seats and pay premium prices. That is my surprise with this casting, that and the fact that score is tough and needs a powerhouse singer. I was totally wrong.

Yesterday, the mods do something they never do which is keep a totally non confirmed rumor up on this thread instead of quickly erasing as they do every other time something cannot be confirmed. So, that was my first clue. And with their tweets, it's obviously going to Beanie. Perhaps she will perform 6 times a week like Lauren and Laura did in My Fair Lady.
"

You're completely right. I feel like Lea will use her connection to Jon Groff to one day jump back to Broadway, though. I was even wondering with the website (Funny Girl Tickets | Coming to Broadway in 2021!) I'm not sure how "official" the website is, but it had confirmed the Rosie O'Donnell casting at the time, rumors about Lady Gaga or Idina, and said tickets were coming soon. I'm actually slightly bummed it's not going to be Gaga, but I guess she's not ready for Broadway (if she ever decides to?) with all the big movie roles she has. 

I feel like it'll be Laura/Lauren scenario too, but because Beanie is youngish, I see her performing most dates. Laura Benanti was in her mid-30s during My Fair Lady with her toddler. I just read an article earlier where Vogue called Beanie "the next Bette Midler." 

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#143Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 8:59pm

Jordan Catalano said: "If this pans out, my hope is that she has a standby like Bette had, and that standby will be Shoshana."

Yes!!! Would definitely see Shoshana if she stands in!

Sutton Ross
#144Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 9:05pm

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that based on her age, I was suggesting that based on the fact that those songs are difficult and she might need the vocal rest. 

Jordan Catalano
#145Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 9:12pm

Yeah, a mammoth role like this going to someone who (seemingly) has very limited singing experience seems…odd. No?

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#146Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 9:14pm

Sutton Ross said: "Oh, I wasn't suggesting that based on her age, I was suggesting that based on the fact that those songs are difficult and she might need the vocal rest."

Oh no worries! I was thinking more in the vein of general life commitments. I remember Laura had to miss My Fair Lady performances because her toddler was sick. 

Sutton Ross
#147Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 9:15pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Yeah, a mammoth role like this going to someone who (seemingly) has very limited singing experience seems…odd. No?"

It's honestly the weirdest casting news Ive heard in years. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#148Funny Girl 2022 Revival
Posted: 8/8/21 at 9:35pm

Curious why I've not seen mention of this revival anywhere except here on BWW.  Tried, without success, to bring up the quoted Equity Casting Call.  Perhaps I don't have access.  Seems to me that a Broadway revival of "Funny Girl" would be a big news deal.  I've been herding cats all day, so could have missed other announcements.

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 8/8/21 at 09:35 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport

Videos