News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

GUYS & DOLLS to close June 14

Yankeefan007
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 1:54pm

What a waste of a GUYS & DOLLS revival this was. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true, I doubt that the Tony number did much for them.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#2re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 1:56pm

You'd think they would try to ride it out through Labor Day, but closing now is not that surprising either.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 1:59pm

Well, the show has a big cast and I'm sure Lauren Graham and Oliver Platt don't come for cheap, so they are probably trying to save their bucks instead of losing money all through Labor Day. It makes sense to me.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#4re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 1:59pm

If this thread gets deleted, then it has to be true.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#5re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:00pm

As of now, they are still selling through June (I didn't check past there). I'd guess their website is as official as we can get for now?

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#6re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:06pm

Not surprising at all...

frogs_fan85
#7re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:07pm

I was thinking in terms of the name alone being able to sell tickets to the summer tourist crowd, but it probably makes more sense to cut their losses now instead of risking incurring even greater losses.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#8re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:09pm

Sorry but Lauren Graham and Oliver Platt are not a draw-never were. The casting was lame out of the gate.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#9re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:15pm

Steve Rosen's facebook status confirms this...

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#10re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:22pm

I thought it would have been impossible to screw up a Broadway revival of Guys and Dolls. The show is perfect , the parts strong and the score sublime. But the producers should be thoroughly ashamed at the mess they pieced together - starting with the casting of Ms. Graham and Mr. Platt

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#11re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:32pm

There are 2 significant cast-members who've changed their Facebook stati to "It's been fun... I wonder what's next".

I think that's a clue. Now I gotta get tickets!
Updated On: 6/9/09 at 02:32 PM

husk_charmer
#12re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:33pm

From what I've come to understand, Graham needed more direction than she received, which makes me think the blame doesn't so much go on her shoulders as it does on McAnuff.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#13re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:37pm

Link: http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1736448

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

jarretSF Profile Photo
jarretSF
#14re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 2:42pm

Its now on top of headlines at the top of this page as well.
New York Times Blog

Some people come into our lives and quietly go, others stay a while, and leave footprints on our heart, and we are never the same.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#16re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 3:04pm

Well I guess we know where the Addam's Family is going...

WishingOnlyWounds2
#17re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 3:11pm

I'm shocked! I thought it would have waited till the end of the summer. As bad as it supposedly is, I'm still going to try and see it...

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

frogs_fan85
#18re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 3:11pm

Right, we have for a while. The Lunt.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#19re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 3:12pm

There were some talented ensemble members in the cast. Des McAnuff should be fined by the Loesser estate for ruining a perfectly good musical.
Updated On: 6/9/09 at 03:12 PM

Felm_heart Profile Photo
Felm_heart
#20re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 3:16pm

I saw this back in previews and bet my friend that it wouldn't see the end of summer. Guess who gets $10? I do feel badly for Lauren Graham, though. I think she was really trying to make this show succeed. I agree that the overall fault for its failure lies with McAnuff.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#21re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 3:17pm

Well, I kind of want to see just how terrible it is (if the Tonys wasnt enough) before it goes.

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#22re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 3:26pm

I was always torn about seeing this. I love Guys and Dolls but really don't like Lauren Graham. The so-so reviews tipped the scales for me against buying tickets. I look forward to a better revival down the road.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#23re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 3:34pm

Oh well. This doesn't effect me at all. I don't want the Addam's Family to go in the Nederlander, it's not a great area and I don't think it would do that well.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#24re: GUYS & DOLLS allegedly the next to close
Posted: 6/9/09 at 3:50pm

I know, frogs, I wanted to start a ruckus.

Videos