News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Hunchback Album

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#125Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 4:22pm

Finally listening to this album now, just finished act 1. I need a breather. This album is terrific. The chorus, the leads, the orchestra. So good.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#126Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 4:25pm

Another lovely video from Disney on Broadway's Youtube page- Making of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" Studio Cast Recording :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIoxqM4loNw

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#127Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 4:34pm

Admittedly not having seen this or the German production onstage, I'm a bit disappointed with how Esmeralda comes across on this cast recording in terms of character development. Each male lead goes through quite dramatic changes throughout the show, but Esmeralda just seems to go from being idealistic to being slightly less so. While listening I actually find myself a bit bored with her material and wishing the show spent less time with her. I think somebody commented here, during one of the production's runs, that there's a risk in this show of Esmeralda being little more than the catalyst for the male characters' journeys. On the other hand, I'm not sure what could be done about it that would feel organic to the story being told. And maybe her development comes across much better in the full production. For those who saw it, would anyone mind giving their opinion on her character development onstage?

Updated On: 1/23/16 at 04:34 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#128Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 6:34pm

I created two versions, a "production photo" one and one on a black and blue gradient like the German album was. Both use the Papermill title treatment with the same red and white color scheming from the German album with the wording taken from the actual CD cover.

Hunchback Album

Hunchback Album

I also made covers for the Film Soundtrack and a planned master-edit of my favorite parts from the various versions, respectively, while I was at it. Both using screencaps from the film and the original title treatment.

Hunchback Album

Hunchback Album

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Updated On: 1/23/16 at 06:34 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#129Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 7:06pm

Nice work!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#130Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 7:12pm

Those are all better than whoever they hired for the actual cover.

broadwayboy223
#131Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 8:16pm

Is "In A Place of Miracles" a rewrite of the Out of Love reprise from Der Glockner?

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#132Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 8:26pm

The packaging design for this recording was some of the most bland and boring I've ever seen! Boring fonts on boring backgrounds. Disney and Sh-K-Boom could have done so much better for such a glorious and long-awaited recording.

lambchop2
#133Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 9:45pm

"Is "In A Place of Miracles" a rewrite of the Out of Love reprise from Der Glockner?"

nope, it's actually a rewrite of a deleted/demo song written for the Disney film. The rewritten version does play a similar role in the story (Esmeralda and Phoebus in love, Quasimodo sad about it) as the Out of Love Reprise.

broadwayboy223
#134Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 9:56pm

Interesting. Thanks for the info! Does anyone know where to buy or find a good copy of the Der Glockner cast album? I'd love to compare the two. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#135Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/23/16 at 10:15pm

Sadly it fetches hefty prices around the internet, was listed for $50+ last I checked on Amazon.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#136Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/24/16 at 4:52pm

I've said it once and I'll say it again: regardless of what anyone says about the Papermill production or whatnot, this piece belongs on Broadway and Disney should theoretically be attaching its name in a bigger way. That said, I'm super happy that the "Making Of..." studio video made it onto one of Disney's blogs. And the fact that they said Patrick Page's name in the article makes me so very happy.

Link

Incidentally, I'm ashamed at myself for not realizing they cut "A Guy Like You," but most seem to agree it was the film's weakest song, so whatever. But on a whole, I will always believe this is Schwartz's best work and a masterpiece of a score on its own.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#137Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/24/16 at 6:47pm

I thought they cut those gargoyle characters from the stage version? I didn't see it so I don't know for sure.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

lambchop2
#138Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/24/16 at 7:42pm

They cut the trio of gargoyles as distinct characters. In their place is the ensemble in grey robes as general gargoyles/statues (at least one is a statue of a saint) that Quasimodo talks to/interacts with.

Hunchback Album

Updated On: 1/24/16 at 07:42 PM

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#139Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/24/16 at 7:49pm

I enjoyed "Guy Like You" in the film, but I don't think it's suitable for the stage version. Glad it was cut. 

Mr. Nowack, those covers are lovely, thanks for sharing. 

Incidentally I wasn't a fan of the "Der Glockner" orignally album art, so made my own for that. In case anyone is interested...

Hunchback Album

Hunchback Album

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#140Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/24/16 at 9:42pm

I thought the chorus was stunning. In the film version, were the gargoyles supposed to be figments of Quasimodo's imagination?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#141Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/24/16 at 10:43pm

Personally, I think that was left up to interpretation in the film. When kids watch the movie they may be more likely to assume that the gargoyles really come to life similar to animals and objects in other Disney animated movies. When adults watch the film they pick up on some of the hints that the gargoyles may be imaginary. In the show I felt like it was much clearer that he conjured up friends out of loneliness. They're sort of like his inner thoughts and moral compass in the show.

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#142Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:23am

In the movie, the fact the gargoyles' aid during the battle has actual impact shows they really do come to life.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#143Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:28am

One can quibble, but the recording is awesome. It would have to be really, given the other two recordings, or there would've been no point. Great job. 

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

broadwayboy223
#144Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/26/16 at 8:56pm

After listening to Der Glockner I feel the orchestrations were so haunting and emotional. I think the best version of the show doesn't lie in either version but a mixture of the two. Get rid of the narration is step one. Anyone got details on why Hunchback didn't transfer? 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#145Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/26/16 at 9:16pm

I wrote an article ranting and raving about what I felt was the unnecessary rewrite here in the U.S. It covers some of the main reasons why the version as it was in Berlin didn't transfer.

(Incidentally, I agree that something more in the middle might have worked. I found myself reading a fan transcript of this version as it was at Paper Mill, and feeling that much of Parnell's more fleshed-out dialogue for Quasimodo would have worked better than Lapine's apparent decision to cast him as mentally challenged.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 1/26/16 at 09:16 PM

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#146Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/26/16 at 10:25pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Anyone got details on why Hunchback didn't transfer? "

I had an opportunity to ask Menken about a Broadway transfer for this shortly after the last production closed. Apparently it was really never intended for Broadway and unlike Newsies - the demand just wasn't there, thus they didn't really investigate making it work.

Here's the quote:

"With Hunchback - which I was so proud of, everyone was saying it's going to Broadway - but it's actually going for regional and amateur stock licensing, which is what it was designed for. There are so many factors outside of my control about what happens from here. I've trained myself not to think about it. It's too much energy and emotional energy to think about where we'll go next."

Full article: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Interview-Alan-Menken-Get-His-Wish-for-DUDDY-KRAVITZ-Musical-Talks-Broadway-Goals-Hunchback-and-More-20150710

Updated On: 1/26/16 at 10:25 PM

theatreguy12
#147Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/26/16 at 10:28pm

So glad to see this album created.  

I saw the show in La Jolla and thought it was truly amazing.  

When I first saw the movie years ago I thought the soundtrack would make an amazing Broadway score, and that the musical could be transformed in a very grand and powerful way on a Broadway stage.  

What I saw in La Jolla was more simple, but powerful….and driven by that beautiful score.  I saw it twice and do admit that the first time I was a little surprised by how the musical was approached (having that more grandiose vision in my mind). But when I returned to see it again, it floored me. It was such a hugely talented cast led by Arden and I found its approach really quite mesmerizing.  

I know there are those who don't agree, as has been discussed on these boards, but revisiting some of the scenes in their entirety on youtube…..from the La Jolla production….I'm able to relive those moments that I remembered as being so powerful.   Along with the great music, the superb performances and the overall feelings the story brought out.

Again, so happy to see this recording!

broadwayboy223
#148Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/27/16 at 9:50am

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "I wrote an article ranting and raving about what I felt was the unnecessary rewrite here in the U.S. It covers some of the main reasons why the version as it was in Berlin didn't transfer.""

Intetesting post! Is there any more information about that cancelled live action TV movie? I'm just curious about when certain songs were written. 

"(Incidentally, I agree that something more in the middle might have worked. I found myself reading a fan transcript of this version as it was at Paper Mill, and feeling that much of Parnell's more fleshed-out dialogue for Quasimodo would have worked better than Lapine's apparent decision to cast him as mentally challenged.)"

I thought Lapine wrote Quasi as a regular speaking character. The videos I've seen of Der Glockner don't sound like the US version. 

Eurotrash Profile Photo
Eurotrash
#149Hunchback Album
Posted: 1/27/16 at 10:15am

'Why did anyone feel the need to fix what wasn’t broken?'

Well said and very informative gdelgi, thanks.

Why don't you go? Why don't you leave Manderley? He doesn't need you... he's got his memories. He doesn't love you, he wants to be alone again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for really, have you?

Videos