News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 161

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

jimmycurry01
#4000Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:26pm

Anything above 70% is pretty damn good on Rotten Tomatoes.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4001Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:43pm

vanity fair seems like the worst review so far. It reads mixed to negative.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#4002Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:53pm

When did Vanity Fair do film reviews? That's a bit strange that one of the top fashion magazines in the US writes to do such a thing. Ah well, the majority so far is still positive.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#4003Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 3:18pm

I am so glad that my baby daddy is getting such good notices for his preening, singing...and especially ripping off his shirt. All things he thoroughly excels at!

Wildcard
#4004Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 3:20pm

The Vanity Fair review reads more like disappointment that it wasn't the stage version.
It's not reviewing the film based on its own merits

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4005Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 3:33pm

^ totally agree.

Musical Master
#4006Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 3:36pm

Exactly.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#4007Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 4:09pm

A film review from a fashion magazine, no matter how iconic the magazine is, has zero credibility in my book. Reviews from the industry trades like The Hollywood Reporter (pretty glowing) and Variety have more weight. Honestly, I'm pretty excited to see the film get such a warm reception, it's such a special property and Marshall, Lapine and everyone in the cast seem to have honored the spirit of the show. I need to see this right now.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Musical Master
#4008Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 4:10pm

@ray, you are so right about that. I'll wait for The New York Times to come around.

jimmycurry01
#4009Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 4:15pm

The New York Times is not particularly known for its film reviews either. A.O. Scott isn't exactly seen as the ultimate authority on film. The industry trades such as Variety and The Hollywood Reporter are the big ones for the film industry.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#4010Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 4:56pm

Fashion magazine? Have you ever read Vanity Fair?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4011Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 4:57pm

I think they were thinking of Vogue.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#4012Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 5:02pm

^^^ You are right, my bad. Still, it's not the kind of publication that I personally hold in high regard in terms of film reviews.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#4013Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 5:03pm

'Do I smell...freesias?'

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#4014Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 5:16pm

Kind of on-topic because of box office competition... Sony officially canceled the Christmas day release for "The Interview"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-cancels-release-interview-758924?facebook_20141217

Somewhere, I read that people were speculating it's a publicity stunt, but come on...
Updated On: 12/17/14 at 05:16 PM

Wildcard
#4015Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 5:29pm

It's disappointing that the theater owners are letting the hackers win. What they are doing is terrorism, plain and simple. It's not the Sony officials who make millions that they are hurting but the thousands of employees who are trying to make a living just like everyone else.

The Interview was not high on my must see list but I would support it one way or another if and when it comes out.

Musical Master
#4016Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 5:32pm

Fear. The classic case of terrorist fear...

*sigh* Updated On: 12/17/14 at 05:32 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#4017Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 6:35pm

Does anyone know if the rights for Into the Woods are available in the five boroughs while the Pels production is playing?

Also, the movie soundtrack is only $10 at Target, with another 10% off if you use the Cartwheel promotion. For those of us looking to save some money. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Musical Master
#4018Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 6:41pm

@jimmycurry01, I'm talking about Manohla Dargis, she's a better critic than A.O Scott in my frank opinion.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4019Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 10:46pm

Entertainment Weekly is mixed with a B-. Rotten Tomatoes considers it fresh. The film is now at 80%.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20883937,00.html

Also there's a new TV spot with a "Masterpiece" pull quote from Theatermania. Does anyone know if there's actually a review from them? I can't find one.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=786457621410733 Updated On: 12/17/14 at 10:46 PM

Len6677
#4020Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:16pm

The EW reviewer just sounds like yet another person who would rather not see any of the dark, unpleasant stuff happen in the story. Some of these people would probably write almost the same articles if reviewing the stage show.

Musical Master
#4021Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:26pm

It's kind of strange that some critics somewhat can't handle the fact that from beginning to end that INTO THE WOODS is a fairy tale DECONSTRUCTION.

jimmycurry01
#4022Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:47pm

Well, not everyone is a fan of that deconstruction, and that is a very appropriate thing to write about in a review. The darkness will not be everyone's cup of tea.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#4023Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/18/14 at 12:12am

Here is my review if you guys are interested. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsCbTKRfZE&feature=youtu.be
Updated On: 12/18/14 at 12:12 AM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#4024Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/18/14 at 1:02am

This is in response to the review saying that jack and LRRH shouldn't be played by children.

It is more realistic to have children who are entering their teenage years singing about their sexual revelations.
Children are faaaaaar more sexual then we think and its done in a very subtle way in Into the Woods.

Also... wasn't Danielle Ferland around 15 when she played the role? And Idk how old Ben Wright was, but I always assumed that he was playing a child.

idk... Lilla Crawford is the love of my life and I'm just happy to see her in a film of this magnitude. I don't think that she's miscast at all. She's actually kind of perfect.

correction... she IS perfect.

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos