News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig- Page 28

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#675Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 10:01am

p.s. I would like to add that going up on lines, or screwing them up and not "getting there" after all this time is unacceptable in any show in any role.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

cascade
#676Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 10:15am

There's nothing wrong with Taye calling the show/his performance excellent when he's promoting it. What's he supposed to say, "Yeah I'm terrible in this but please spend your money and come see me anyway"? It's a BIG problem if he's not off book yet for sure but let's not invent more reasons to bash him. Besides, every Hedwig is someone's favorite. Some more than others but still.

Trask definitely has read this board before.

I'd considered seeing Taye but between the reviews and all of the new shows coming out it's a lot further down my priority list... We'll see. Surprised his successor hasn't been announced yet but hoping it's someone who may be able to revitalize the show a bit.

Updated On: 8/17/15 at 10:15 AM

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#677Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 10:28am

I think there is a very thin line between cocky and confident - one that becomes even thinner when there is not too much backing it up.

cascade
#678Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 10:31am

"I think there is a very thin line between cocky and confident - one that becomes even thinner when there is not too much backing it up.

I don't follow Taye so I don't know if he is or isn't, wouldn't be surprised either way but c'mon, he isn't doing these interviews for funsies. It's to get people to see the show. If he props himself up in that context I don't see anything wrong with it. The whole point is to sell himself and the show. Just seems like people jumping on him over something unnecessary rather than a valid complaint (like the complaints about his performances).

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#679Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 12:16pm

If you’re talking about the interview Taye did with Hoda and Matt Lauer, he said “I’m very talented” and it was joke. They all laughed. Here’s the link:http://www.today.com/popculture/taye-diggs-role-lifetime-best-part-being-dad-t38391

I was there on his opening night and while he was struggling with the book then, I was hopeful. My hopes are diminishing with the recaps here. It is absolutely inexcusable to be reaching for lines at this stage. The diehard Hedheads I keep up with on Twitter and know to have tastes similar to mine in Hedwigs all seem to agree – he’s got the soul and the spirit but not the mechanics, and they’ve all seen him more recently than I. I’m glad to know she lives in spirit, but he’s got to be off book by now. It’s ridiculous.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#680Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 12:21pm

A photo posted by Taye Diggs (@tayediggsinsta) on

He just posted that new tattoo on Instagram, dedicating it to his Mother and Hedwig...

Updated On: 8/17/15 at 12:21 PM

mfaye9
#681Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 1:25pm

I went to the show yesterday and I also saw Taye's first show. He improved a lot.

Now to be fair, I really did enjoy his performance on night 1. I've seen all of the Hedwigs and after that first show I slotted him in as my third favorite after JCM and MCH. Still, he didn't know the lines and did seem uncomfortable for a lot of the show, but I thought that everything after Wig in a Box was good enough to let all his line flubs go.

Anyway, yesterday he seemed WAY more comfortable in the role. The show ran almost a half hour shorter than his first show, and he only messed up one line (which at this point is still pretty unacceptable). I think that by next month he will be really, really good (and I say that with the opinion that he is already better than NPH, Rannells and Criss in the role). He's just taking a bit longer than any other Hedwig to get to that point.

Updated On: 8/17/15 at 01:25 PM

Penny2
#682Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 2:30pm

Updated On: 8/17/15 at 02:30 PM

Penny2
#683Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 2:32pm

"p.s. I would like to add that going up on lines, or screwing them up and not "getting there" after all this time is unacceptable in any show in any role.

"I 100% agree with this....

WickedLittleRentHead Profile Photo
WickedLittleRentHead
#684Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 2:33pm

I think they absolutely know how much people are complaining about him because Taye posted videos on his Instagram of people gushing about how much they enjoyed him in the show.

I saw his 3rd show and I greatly disappointed and I am disappointed to hear he is still flubbing lines. I want to see him again to give him another chance and support the show but I am not sure.

Amazing2
#685Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 2:37pm

By that time he won't have that much longer on his run, will he?  I am glad to hear he's improving.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#686Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 2:47pm

Quite frankly, I don't think ANY of the Hedwigs have gotten a free ride around here, especially when it comes to comparing them to JCM.

NPH has had by far the biggest box office, got many critical accolades and won the awards (Tony included) and the GA seemed to love him in the role, and  yet many here  have racked him over the coals over his interpretation.  Fair enough.

With Taye, I wonder how much does the general public enjoy his performance.  I think it boils down to if the non repeat fans feels he's dialing it in and doesn't "know" his lines.  Now I agree that not knowing your lines, period,  is unprofessional, but if we're talking abut one line in a performance I personally give Taye some latitude with that.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren
Updated On: 8/17/15 at 02:47 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#687Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:04pm

"Quite frankly, I don't think ANY of the Hedwigs have gotten a free ride around here, especially when it comes to comparing them to JCM."

Nor should they.

But it seems a stretch to make people who don't know the show your metric of success. That's like saying a show is good if it gets a standing ovation (since most shows do).

At least with NPH, you couldn't argue with his ability to move tickets.

I wouldn't discount the Hed-heads for buying a decent chunk of tickets to each Hedwig, as well as, more importantly, word of mouth.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#688Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:11pm

"But it seems a stretch to make people who don't know the show your metric of success. That's like saying a show is good if it gets a standing ovation (since most shows do)"

That's not what I said.

As to whether his overall interpretation is successful, sure, it's a case by case POV, but I really don't think dismissing those who aren't dedicated Hedwig fans  is the only  barometer either.   My friend just saw Taye and loved him in the role, and it doesn't matter to her that she's only seen NPH in the role previously. 

It's great when people can and do  see Hedwig dozens of times with every new Hedwig actor, but many people don't have that luxury.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren
Updated On: 8/17/15 at 03:11 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#689Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:19pm

re: NPH receiving awards - I totally get why. He put on some show. I likened it to a NPH Vegas show. Great dancing and singing, selling tickets. Sure he got the Tony. But showing any emotion which is what makes a character - not at all. The Tony voters' criteria are based more on singing and dancing in the case of Hedwig, it seems.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Phan2
#690Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 3:41pm

I get why some are disappointed in Taye's performances, based on the reasons listed in this thread.  However, I do agree with cascade, let's not unduly criticize Taye for issues that don't warrant such a reaction.  I saw him on the Today show, and after someone commented on something he said there, I couldn't remember hearing anything that he said in that appearance that remotely offended me.  After re-watching the video posted here, it was clear he was joking when he made the comment about being talented.    

As a Taye fan, it saddens me to hear that he is struggling still.   It does seem that some feel he has a lot of potential, but I know that alone is not enough.    I'm hoping that he polishes up his performance very, very soon. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#691Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 4:15pm

"My friend just saw Taye and loved him in the role, and it doesn't matter to her that she's only seen NPH in the role previously."

Well, if those are the only two she saw, that actually makes sense... Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

"As a Taye fan, it saddens me to hear that he is struggling still.   It does seem that some feel he has a lot of potential, but I know that alone is not enough."

5 weeks into a 12-week run is getting pretty late to talk about his potential...

Phan2
#692Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 4:24pm

"5 weeks into a 12-week run is getting pretty late to talk about his potential..."

Yes, I understand.   I get that.  But I hope that for the remainder of his run, he tries to finish as strongly as possible.   Not just for his own reputation, but for the sake of the musical, which is so beloved by so many. 

Updated On: 8/17/15 at 04:24 PM

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#693Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 4:50pm

At least he is doing better money wise. Hopefully he will get a boost when they announce the next person.

HedwigInch
#694Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 4:57pm

"At least he is doing better money wise. Hopefully he will get a boost when they announce the next person."

Gross went up $3,687. I guess that's something. He is still under the gross of his opening week though.

Updated On: 8/17/15 at 04:57 PM

Sami7
#695Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 4:59pm

I don't know that I would really consider an increase of a couple of thousand dollars doing better, especially since the average ticket price went down, but it could be worse I suppose.

Sunny11
#697Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 6:58pm

Ouch... Poor Taye, that's a pretty bad review.

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#698Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 7:02pm

Sigh. Will my poor show ever return to its pre April 26 glory days? 

Updated On: 8/17/15 at 07:02 PM

Sami7
#699Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 8/17/15 at 7:10pm

"Sigh. Will my poor show ever return to its pre April 26 glory days? "

You just can't resist getting a dig in at Darren, eh?

Anyway, I'm not much of a fan of Taye, but ouch indeed. 

Videos