News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews- Page 16

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#375MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 1:32pm

I don't dislike Freddie, even though I do think he's a spineless drip. MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews He can't help being one, and he does seem to have a kind heart. But the boy's got no get-up-and-go. He has little intelligence and even less drive. He's the kind of character who does nothing but hang around singing romantic ballads at her window all day and night . . . after ONE meeting. You could make a pretty good case that it's infatuation, not love. And no wonder that feels good for a little while -- as you all say, Eliza could certainly use a little more affection in her life. But after a while, I honestly think it would drive her crazy.

Freddie is pretty much a Wodehouse character who wandered into Shaw (or rather, in this case, Shaw/Lerner). And there's nothing wrong with Wodehouse characters. I'm very fond of them, in fact. But look what happens every time Bertie Wooster gets paired with a smart, ambitious woman -- it never works. They drive each other bonkers. And I feel like that's what would happen here.

Updated On: 3/19/18 at 01:32 PM

enjoyable2
#376MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 1:36pm

I wonder if it's possible to have two threads here. One would be devoted entirely to critiques of the ending. And the other could be for people who want to discuss all the other elements of the show. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#377MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 1:41pm

Can somebody remind me...is it Freddy or Freddie?

Anyway, Shaw did not write the ending for the film Pygmalion and absolutely hated that it was added there. However, it was a much better ending than what some of the earlier productions did where Henry gave Eliza flowers and made grand romantic gestures after all the lines were delivered so I guess Shaw had to cut his losses. It is also true that Lerner got the ending from the film version so it didn't come out of thin air. It certainly wasn't Shaw's ending but it was an ending from a highly public production of Pygmalion with Shaw getting screenplay credits so Lerner probably thought it was fine to use that ending.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#378MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 1:45pm

My mistake -- I just went to look it up, and it looks like it's Freddy. For some reason I was remembering it as Freddie. I apologize!

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#379MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 2:20pm

This thread has become a pretentious bore. I agree with above. Start a new thread and let the outrage continue here.

Updated On: 3/19/18 at 02:20 PM

enjoyable2
#380MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 2:23pm

I love hearing from people who actually saw the show. And certainly their review can include their comments about the ending as well as all the other aspects.  But, having a thread solely for endless debate about it is a bore, yes.  I don't know how to start a new thread, but if someone does, I'll switch to that one. 

JIMG3
#381MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 2:40pm

I’ll happily join all who are interested, on a new thread. Endless discussions about misogyny, are about as interesting in this context, as having a root canal.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#382MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 2:57pm

There's a new thread that shall discuss the merits of the ending whether it's Shaw Vs Lerner and Bartlett Sher's re-staging can now be discussed there.

Now to get this thread back on track: For those who saw the show, what did the opening Convent Garden set look like?

Updated On: 3/19/18 at 02:57 PM

enjoyable2
#383MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 3:11pm

Great. Thank you!  I've not heard anyone comment on the man who played Freddy or on how  Ms. Ambrose's English accents held up? 

j.garcia
#384MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 3:12pm

I just saw the third preview on Saturday, and I wasn't completely blown away, but I definitely want to come back and revisit this production after previews are over. There was a whole lot to love (get to that) and I'm hoping the rough bits settle.

The rough bits I am particularly thinking about are Eliza's singing, which just didn't do it for me. It may have been where I was sitting (orchestra E far side, thanks Linctix!) but I just didn't think there was enough power. She picked up a little steam in the second act after "Show Me," but I still wanted more out of her singing. I did however, love her acting and the book scenes where she and Higgins are sparring are electric. You believe from the start that this Eliza really is a guttersnipe, not only her speech but her affectations and posture. 

Higgins is being played with a touch of Sheldon Cooper, which really drive home his immaturity and petulance,  I liked his energy but his singing also left something to be desired. Somewhere between Rex Harrison's rhythmic talking and actual singing, I wanted him to just pick one. Again though, I think this will settle as the production goes on. He did forget one line in "Why Can't a Woman," he just mumbled through it and picked up on the next. 

Norbert Leo Butz is having the time of his life and his joy is infectious. "I'm Getting Married in the Morning" was a showstopper. I will admit the darker tone of this piece makes Mr. Doolittle's scenes feel out of place, but it was a welcome distraction and done by a pro. 

Diana Rigg is a majestic grand dame of Broadway and acts her scenes wonderfully, strong Queen of Thorns vibe when she is meeting with Eliza after she leaves Higgins. 

That rotating set is an old school wonder. Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel, just build the best damn wheel. The costumes were hit or miss, but I really liked the Ball costumes, they were purposefully modeled after the Aesthetic Fashion of the 1900s. Very fascinating and different, with bold colors and pattern and drapery. The horse race outfits were also standouts, instead of the all white motif they used some softer very pale purples and whites. 

In all art, there is a pendulum swinging between artifice and naturalism and what is popular at the time will influence art produced. Theater seems to be on a more naturalism bend right now, and this follows in those steps. In this production Eliza and Higgins are real characters, whose flaws and triumphs are openly shown. It's not a joyful musical comedy (except for when Mr. Higgins shows up), but an exploration of self-actualization, how one achieves it, and what one does with it. 

enjoyable2
#385MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 3:19pm

Thank you. This is the kind of informed review I love! 

broadwayboy223
#386MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 3:30pm

I hope Ambrose's singing improves... It seems like the fresher reviews we get from posters on here continue to comment on the singing and it does make me worry. Everyone seems to be in agreement that her acting is amazing which is wonderful, but it begs the question if it was known Ambrose's singing wasn't great why didn't they just do Pygmalion?

JIMG3
#387MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 3:50pm

At the risk of appearing snarky, it’s because the intention was to do a revival of My Fair Lady, not a production of Pygmalion.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#388MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 3:52pm

To be fair, it sounds from the reviews like her singing isn’t necessarily BAD, she just needs time to get more comfortable. Hopefully her voice will be in top form by the time the show opens.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#389MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 3:52pm

It doesn't sound like Ambrose has a bad voice or anything, but rather that people feel that her singing is a bit timid and quiet.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#390MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 4:06pm

Her singing is not bad whatsoever. She lets her voice soar during the ending of "I Could Have Danced All Night," but it doesn't soar all evening. She's definitely a little tentative, but her voice is pleasant and she sings perfectly in tune. 

j.garcia
#391MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 4:19pm

I loved her acting and only liked her singing. I’m hoping that she gets more confident as time goes on because I really think she’s playing a fascinating Eliza.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#392MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 4:48pm

Hate to ask this, but does anyone have any a*dio that they're willing to share?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#393MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 4:49pm

For those of you who saw Ambrose and are familiar with Martine McCutcheon on the London revival cast recording, how do they compare? Just from the recording, I thought McCutcheon gave a pretty weak performance vocally both in power and in character, but apparently she gave an amazing performance on stage...when she bothered to show up and was feeling it that performance. 

Updated On: 3/19/18 at 04:49 PM

ArtMan
#394MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 5:25pm

How is the staging?  I bought a lousy seat (for May) in the 500 section of the lodge.  I am the fifth seat in from the aisle, second to last row.  So there are others in the row, whose seats are worse than mine.  I have only been to this theater once before, for The King & I and sat in the lodge, but was in the center.  i thought it was a great seat for the price and availability.  Am I going to have alot  of partial views of scenes for this production?  Thanks in advance.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#395MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 7:50pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "For those of you who saw Ambrose and are familiar with Martine McCutcheon on the London revival cast recording, how do they compare? Just from the recording,I thought McCutcheon gave a pretty weak performance vocally both in power and in character,but apparently she gave an amazing performance on stage...when she bothered to show up and was feeling it that performance."

When I got home from LC I threw on the McCutcheon recording to compare which singing was worse. I found McCutcheon's vocals to be soaring as compared to Ambrose. Ambrose's voice is thin and it never has a shine or fullness to it. I personally thought she was struggling to get through the last notes of "I Could Have Danced All Night" and she doesn't have much of a belt either in "Just You Wait". 

Updated On: 3/20/18 at 07:50 PM

enjoyable2
#396MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 8:01pm

This is such a shame to hear. And doing eight shows a week isn't going to help. 

broadwayboy223
#397MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 8:03pm

BwayBaby18 said: "ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "For those of you who saw Ambrose and are familiar with Martine McCutcheon on the London revival cast recording, how do they compare? Just from the recording,I thought McCutcheon gave a pretty weak performance vocally both in power and in character,but apparently she gave an amazing performance on stage...when she bothered to show up and was feeling it that performance."

When I got home for the LC I threw on the McCutcheon recording to compare which singing was worse and I found her vocals to be soaring as compared toAmbrose. Ambrose's voice is thin and it never has a shine or fullness to it. I personally thought she was struggling to get through the last notes of "I Could Have Danced All Night" and she doesn't have much of a belt either in "Just You Wait".
"

Yikes

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#398MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 8:51pm

Does Ambrose use any transpositions?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#399MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/19/18 at 8:56pm

Thanks. I can't wait to judge Ambrose for myself. Before people get too scared about Ambrose and her singing, one thing I think tends to happen, especially in the beginning, is that people tend to pay more attention to a negative review than they do the positive or mixed ones so I advise people who are worried about buying a ticket to try to balance all the reviews. Everyone from the good and the bad have provided informative and full reviews so let's give them more-or-less equal weight.

Videos