News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews- Page 18

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#425MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 9:29am

^  But, but, I DESERVE to see it....I live in East Gibip and can't get to NY to see it.  It's not fair.  Me, me, me, me, me........

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#426MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 9:54am

Musical Master wrote "Now it's gotten me curious as to what does the Convent Garden set look like"

I believe that set is used in The Sound of Music, not this show.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#427MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 10:10am

Oops. It's actually spelled Covent Garden isn't it? My bad. cheeky

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#428MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 10:21am

dramamama611 said: "^ But, but, I DESERVE to see it....I live in East Gibip and can't get to NY to see it. It's not fair. Me, me, me, me, me........"

Yup and they’re begging for a 5 second clip. Soon enough, we’ll have press photos and footage. 

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#429MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 10:26am

Musical Master said: "Oops. It's actually spelled Covent Garden isn't it? My bad."

The name dates back to when it was orchards and gardens for a convent attached to Westminster Abbey.  So you're just being (very) old school.

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#430MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 11:26am

For those who have seen the previews, does it look like a work in progress or a somewhat finished product already? I'm asking this because I'm considering going to the matinee today (lot of empty seats popped up on telecharge) but I don't want to see something where the kinks still very much need to be worked out.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#431MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 11:41am

Just finished reading Pygmalion. It just boggles my mind that Eliza and Higgins can end up together by the any stretch of imagination. Higgins is very much like Shelton, both having their own unique ways of thinking and moral standards that are barely acceptable to most people. Eliza is no Amy or Penny, who can look past or at least live with their quirks. Instead, she is a free spirit that demands respect if you want her to respect you, the respect that Higgins could never give.  

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#432MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 12:17pm

Put down PYGMALION Dancingthrulife. Lerner decided to write a Shavian Musical not repeat Shaw. An audience that has enjoyed MY FAIR LADY for oh so many years would probably not sit through PYGMALION. He was writing a 1950's Musical. If you compare the scripts you will find his little hints toward a more romantic relationship than Shaw wrote. He knew he would have to give the audience hope that Higgins and Eliza might end up together. The biggest hint is, of course, I'VE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO HER FACE. Shaw's Higgins would not sing (speak) this song or notion.  Though many scenes in the musical are taken directly from the Play, the tone is different, less political, more human.  In almost every Musical (especially up to that time) the two protagonists reunite at the end. Even more modern shows. like SWEENEY TODD have them end up together. OK, Todd and Lovitt are dead, but they are dead together. Lerner doesn't go on full-blown, Kiss,sigh, Curtain, applause. He gives the audience what they came for, and have been coming back for over and over for many years.  Two different endings, two different shows.

Ravenclaw
#433MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 12:23pm

CurtainPullDowner said: ".... He knew he would have to give the audience hope that Higgins and Eliza might end up together. The biggest hint is, of course, I'VE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO HER FACE. Shaw's Higgins would not sing (speak) this song or notion..."

Ok, but there's the fact that Pygmalion has Higgins say the words "I've grown accustomed to her face" in the final scene. But this conversation is probably better suited for the "My Fair Lady Ending" thread.

enjoyable2
#434MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 12:25pm

Thanks for the reminder that there is a My Fair Lady Ending thread where people can happily argue about the ending forever. 

CurtainPullDowner
#435MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 12:40pm

Good point ravenclaw. But singing a whole song about it puts it in a different light.

CurtainPullDowner
#436MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 12:41pm

Good point ravenclaw. But singing a whole song about it puts it in a different light.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#437MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 1:40pm

Super stoked. Just got orchestra Row D center seat tickets for tonight thanks to the snow storm.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#438MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:24pm

So the snow day ended up with me having not much to do. So I decided to try my luck and go to LC to see My Fair Lady. I figured there were bound to be so many empty seats I could score a cheap seat and sit wherever I wanted. And that is exactly what happened. Theater was maybe 1/3 full.

So the show: it’s obviously very early in previews. Lauren Ambrose went up in lines multiple times in the hilarious “done her in/aunt/hat pin” monologue. I thought they cut it. The cool thing was during intermission Bart Sher was asking everyone what they thought and I said “I wish you’d reinstate the done her in/aunt/hat pin monologue.” And he said “oh it’s there, Lauren just blanked out and went up in lines completely.” Also she has a nice soprano but you can tell singing is not her normal because her posture when she sings is really bad. She hunches over and squeezes her knees together. She also has to work on making her accent more consistent.

But otherwise this is a really great production. I loved Harry Hadon-Patton as Higgins. He doesn’t have that sadistic edge that Rex Harrison had — he plays Higgins as more of a complete loner and misanthrope. Only thing was IMO Norbert Leo Butz was a poor substitute for the incomparable Stanley Holloway. For one, he couldn’t dance. But otherwise gorgeous sets, costumes, direction. A lot of potential. The ending is really well done and makes sense. Eliza comes back and sees Higgins listening to her voice recording. She says “I wash my face and hands before I come I did.” Higgins says “Where the devil are my slippers?” Eliza touches his cheek and holds his hand for a minute before leaving. 

After the show Bart Sher actually grabbed me and grilled me on what I thought. He said “What do you interpret the ending as?” And I said “I thought she returned to have a sweeter goodbye than she had at his mother’s house but she leaves him.” And he was like “Omg that’s it! That’s exactly what we’re going for but most people don’t get this ending.” He then peppered me on a whole bunch of other things about the show. It was really cool to see a director talking to so many people after a preview.

I am definitely going back with my mom in a few weeks when the show is frozen.

mamaleh
#439MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:35pm

Poor “Freddy Eynesford-Hill” this afternoon. He never got his “small talk” cue but soldiered on nonetheless. It was gallant of Diana Rigg to try to feed lines to Lauren Ambrose. But despite a few gaffes—hey, it’s still early in previews — the show gave a springlike feel on a nasty, snowy day. And I thought Norbert was delightful.

SPOILER ALERT I loved the ending, by the way. Fully agree with above interpretation: a slightly sweetened but definitely parting shot by Eliza. Where she goes, who knows? But it’ll be her choice.

sondmon
#440MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:36pm

Are they selling general rush tonight? Anyone gone?

Jarethan
#441MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:38pm

I guess that After Eight will REALLY hate Bartlett Sher after that!!  I find it really great that he would actually reach out to audience members to see if they are taking away what he wants them to.  Makes me think that he would consider tweaking it if they were not getting what he was trying to convey.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#442MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:42pm

Hmm I think the way Ambrose did it was very effective too. When Higgins said "Where the devil are my slippers" you could see her sigh. Like he was never going to change. So she says goodbye to him but in a sweet way. I actually think the ending is MORE romantic because it's clear it was a painful decision for this Eliza. She still has feelings for Higgins. The fact that she leaves him doesn't mean she doesn't love him.

Musical Master
#443MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:51pm

That's a nice interpretation of the re-staged ending and I'm glad that Bartlett Sher is going around asking audiences members questions about the show. It's nice transparency.

So since you saw the show, what did the Covent Garden set look like? I hope there was at least a column for Eliza to sit on.

Updated On: 3/21/18 at 06:51 PM

enjoyable2
#444MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:55pm

You describe Ambrose as : She hunches over and squeezes her knees together when she sings. 

I'm an amateur but it sounds like she's using her body to support her voice, rather than her breath and diaphragm.    Is it typical that a leading lady in this situation would be getting daily coaching from an expert to help her correct this??  Cause it sounds exhausting. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#445MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 6:56pm

Mostly a flat panel along with some props (lamp-posts, wagons, baskets of flowers). The set piece is Higgins' study, which actually is a revolving set that has his study, his hallway, and his bathroom. The other scenes are mostly flat panels with props to suggest scenery.

Musical Master
#446MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 7:00pm

Interesting, thanks poisonivy2 for that.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#447MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 7:03pm

enjoyable2 said: "You describe Ambrose as : She hunches over and squeezes her knees together when she sings.

I'm an amateur but it sounds like she's using her body to support her voice, rather than her breath and diaphragm. Is it typical that a leading lady in this situation would be getting daily coaching from an expert to help her correct this?? Cause it sounds exhausting.
"

Well Sher said she was "working" on her posture but it's just the way she sings. But it actually looked painful. 

ArtMan
#448MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 7:15pm

Poisonivy2....or anyone else, Since you saw the show today and it is fresh on your mind can you talk about staging for those that will not be sitting in the center?  If one is sitting in section 100 or like myself section 500, will there be a lot of partial viewed scenes?  Again, thank you in advance for anyone who answers this.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#449MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/21/18 at 7:31pm

I don't think so. Most of the scenes are sort of recessed on the stage so you can see the set from all angles. There's a few moments that are partial view and one is I Could Have Danced All Night because Lauren comes forward and sings at the lip of the stage.

Videos