News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.- Page 3

Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#50Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/23/24 at 1:45pm

60'splayoff said: "TheatreMonkey said: "60'splayoff said: "... I just feel for the creative team because those comparisons are inevitable and the timing isn't ideal."

I totally agree that comparisons are inevitable -- and somewhat unfairly, since this is quite different beyond surface level similarities -- and an unfortunate stroke of luck for a project that's been in the works for quite awhile. And I was just being a cheeky monkey in pointing it out -- it's in my username, after all!

Ensemble1698878795
#51Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/23/24 at 2:33pm

ChairinMain said: "For those who have seen this, if one were to choose between this and seeing Titanique for the first time, what's your advice? I'll be in NY for a week in Novemember and can easily squeeze in one of the Mindelle shows at their 5 pm Saturday in between two other shows."

See Titanique first. 

SisterGeorge
#52Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/23/24 at 4:43pm

How’s the Orch  front  row at the Orpheum for this show?

Sister George

Wayman_Wong
#53Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/24/24 at 7:41am

I haven't been to the Orpheum in a long time. If I were in the Times Square area, what's the best subway train to get closest to the theater? Thanks!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#54Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/24/24 at 7:47am

Wayman_Wong said: "I haven't been to the Orpheum in a long time. If I were in the Times Square area, what's the best subway train to get closest to the theater? Thanks!"

The R/W to 8th St. It’ll be less than a ten minute walk from there. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 9/24/24 at 07:47 AM

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#55Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/24/24 at 8:38am

If anyone is interested, I had tickets for tonight, but I can no longer go. Selling my two tickets for $40 each on the Theatr app, if anyone is interested: https://app.theatr-app.com/listings/rGgmGzCucfN99qqsmDU6

Updated On: 9/24/24 at 08:38 AM

coasterking500
#56Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/24/24 at 9:05am

For those that have seen this, Titanique wasn’t for me a lot of the references and just were just over my head as I wasn’t familiar enough with a lot of the material and she’s they were pulling from.

Would this land the same way?

chrishuyen
#57Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/27/24 at 1:05am

Just saw this tonight and while I liked it I was less enthusiastic about it than many of the other people here.  I think the concept was sound and the story really went in some fun directions that I wasn't expecting at all.  A lot of laughs to be had here but some jokes did feel a bit overdone or like low hanging fruit that I was rolling my eyes at.  I think some of the bits go on for a little too long (the Backup Plan song could've been cut in half for me) and there were moments when it felt too indulgent.  But I had a pretty good time overall and would generally recommend it to people who liked things like Titanique and Oh Mary.  

I've never seen her perform before so I'm not sure if this happens often but I found Marla Mindelle quite pitchy today, and the sound design only seemed to make her voice sound shrill.  So while I admire her for creating this, she just didn't seem like the best performer vocally, though I did like her acting and demeanor, as well as audience interactions (so hopefully she was just having an off day).  Alex Moffat really stole the show for me in the smaller scenes he had, but the cast is quite strong all around too. 

To answer coasterking's question, while I enjoyed Titanique, I did feel like I was missing a lot of the Celine Dion references and I had less of a problem here.  Most of the jokes are "general gay jokes" or more millennial pop culture kind of jokes, with a bunch of theater references thrown in.  (I was actually hoping for more specific satires and references a la Schmigadoon, but the songs do stand on their own fairly well.)

MemorableUserName
#58Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/29/24 at 9:09pm

I don't think this has been posted: 

NYT

‘Titaníque’ Was Her Big Hit. Is ‘Big Gay Jamboree’ Really Her Swan Song?

Two years after debuting the “Titanic” parody, Marla Mindelle says her new show, with Margot Robbie as a producer, may be her last as an actor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/27/theater/marla-mindelle-big-gay-jamboree-titanique.html

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#59Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/30/24 at 12:02am

From what I saw on Insta, the matinee was cancelled today since Marla was sick and Cortney Wolfson debuted for the night show

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

nycward
#60Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/30/24 at 1:52am

and Cortney was terrific! Would not have guessed that she was a standby. The whole evening was fast moving and quite funny in a totally stupid kinda way which in this case is a compliment. It is a big production for this small space and can't really see how they plan on making any money unless it's a massive hit. Right now there are a slew of tix available on TDF. 

chanel
#61Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 9/30/24 at 2:12am

This is fun. A Q&A with Marla Mindelle (scroll past the one with Nicole Scherzinger).

Marla is openly queer and is "non sexual life partners" with Constantine Rousouli, who co-created/co-starred in Titanique and co-stars in Big Gay Jamboree.

https://www.queerty.com/nicole-scherzingers-drag-queen-past-the-big-gay-jamboree-diva-taking-over-nyc-20240929

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#62Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 10/7/24 at 3:18pm

Does anyone happen to have access to the NYT review from last night's opening? 

Thanks in advance!

MezzA101
#63Marla Mindelle's BIG GAY JAMBOREE at the Orpheum Off-Bway, produced by Margot Robbie. Fall 2024.
Posted: 10/7/24 at 3:21pm

HunterK said: "Does anyone happen to have access to the NYT review from last night's opening?

Thanks in advance!
"

‘The Big Gay Jamboree’ Review: A Golden-Age Fantasia on Steroids

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/07/theater/big-gay-jamboree-review-marla-mindelle.html?unlocked_article_code=1.QU4.L-yI.mXA6GxrZwdt3

Updated On: 10/8/24 at 03:21 PM

Videos