News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13- Page 8

Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#176Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:54pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Looks like it isn't going anywhere for a while

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Brittain-Ashford-Confirms-GREAT-COMET-Return-Who-Will-Play-Pierre-20170802
"

This is using a social media post from 3 days ago as a "confirmation" today. I don't buy that. So, no news, we're still in limbo.

schubox
#177Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:55pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Looks like it isn't going anywhere for a while

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Brittain-Ashford-Confirms-GREAT-COMET-Return-Who-Will-Play-Pierre-20170802

"

This is the same social media post we'd been talking about. It doesn't mean anything. I mean, this is literally the post from the first message in this thread 

Updated On: 8/2/17 at 03:55 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#178Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:57pm

And now we wait to see who's playing Pierre? Good luck to this cast.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#179Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:57pm

Still no news... those posts were all before the company meeting Sunday night, unless you think it lasted less than 6 minutes and that is when Brittain posted. More likely she wasn't at the meeting, since she didn't do the show that afternoon...

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#180Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 3:58pm

That article doesn't say anything that we didn't already know. She is scheduled to come back that date. She wouldn't know if they were closing or not.

Also, I know BWW has the worst reporting ever but today is awful with this stupid article and the Kinky Boots stage door one. Give it up, BWW.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#181Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 4:01pm

I think in all this Pierre hub bub, we're neglecting to realize that Scott Strangland is, correct me if I'm wrong, the standby- not one person on here has mentioned him taking over, we've all jumped to Dave.  Arguably, neither will sell the amount of tickets the producers are seeking. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#182Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 4:04pm

I hope BWW wins a Pulitzer for that groundbreaking, timely article.

schubox
#183Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 4:07pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "I think in all this Pierre hub bub, we're neglecting to realize that Scott Strangland is, correct me if I'm wrong, the standby- not one person on here has mentioned him taking over, we've all jumped to Dave.  Arguably, neither will sell the amount of tickets the producers are seeking. 

"

I think the assumption would be they have to cast someone bigger. I could see Dave or Scott doing it for a week or three if they have a big hitter they've announced 

10086Sundays
#184Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 4:09pm

I think the BWW writers need reading comprehension lessons.  I think that tweet clearly means that she was going to go see Ingrid and Oak in the show on or before the 13th, then rejoin the 15th.  (Assuming they stay open.)

If Oak was staying on after the 13th, she would have said she was excited to perform with him when she's back. Regardless, no cast member is going to make an announcement such as that until the company does.

BWW really should have waited to hear back the from the show before posting that.  Things like this are why I skip over their "articles" and come right to the board for info.

Updated On: 8/2/17 at 04:09 PM

falsettoswasrobbed
#185Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 4:48pm

in addition to dave and scott the standby, there are also two understudies who haven't gone on yet. of course, that won't really help boost ticket sales, but at least they have plenty of people to play the role while they find someone else.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#186Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 4:58pm

I've seen Scott. I've seen Dave.   When Mandy was announced I already had tix to see Oak.  So we bought tix to see Oak  (ton8bght, actually. 

I really don't want to see it again in 2 weeks to see either of them again.  Im not real happy with tbe lack of info.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#187Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 5:24pm

Saw this today and really loved what they've done with the space and direction. I want to see it again from the Mezz. I didn't care for Oak at all. He did this weird growl thing with his voice which was maybe to show some kind of emotion, but the songs/character don't need it. He just felt king of flat to me given what's going on around him. Benton was great in the role, but the show def feels like an Ensemble piece to me. The highlight for me was "Sonya Alone." It was the understudy but her voice was gorgeous and his acting was perfection. Highly recommend seeing her. 

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#188Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 5:36pm

Phillytheatreguy10 said: "not one person on here

"

At least one person in this thread has said that exact thing

bear88
#189Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:36pm

And another day passes with no information. I don't think they ever had a Pierre for September, or that person dropped out after all the brouhaha. I assume the producers are not giving up, as a closing notice would be the only way to juice the box office for a week or two if the show doesn't have a long-term future. The radio silence still gives me a little hope, but I'm not expecting much.

From my selfish perspective, the show collapsing in a heap also dooms any touring possibilities if that was ever realistic in the first place, which it probably wasn't.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#190Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 10:42pm

For what it was worth, the matinee today was sold out per the sign outside? 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#191Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:01pm

bear88 said: "From my selfish perspective, the show collapsing in a heap also dooms any touring possibilities if that was ever realistic in the first place, which it probably wasn't."

I don't know how likely it was, but I can't imagine any of this nonsense will change things... I mean, it was going to tour, but then Mandy Patinkin tried to replace Oak, and then they didn't have a Pierre and closed?! Not sure how that would change a tour plan.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#192Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:09pm

It will still tour, and they'll figure it out. It's not like it's impossible to tour. 

dramamama611
#193Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:32pm

It seemed sold out tonight as well.

I'll say one thing, there was an awful lot of Oak-love in the house. Extended entrance applause, and crazybsupport throughout.

Has 7nderstudies for both Sonya and Mary. Both were lovely. A couple of ensemble peeps out too.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#194Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 12:13am

Didn't care for him, and hope to go back and see a better Pierre. I just don't think it was a good match for his talents. Bad casting.

dramamama611
#195Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 12:16am

I've see all the Pierrre (I think) and he wasnt my favorite,  but I liked him.

bear88
#196Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 12:28am

How bittersweet for everyone involved. Oak finally made Great Comet a hit post-Groban, but only by setting himself and the entire musical on fire. There's a famous Daffy Duck/Bugs Bunny cartoon, in which Bugs and Daffy are vaudeville stars competing for audience approval. The audience loves Bugs. They're totally indifferent to Daffy. Finally, a desperate Daffy drinks gasoline and other flammable chemicals and blows himself up. The crowd loves it. An impressed Bugs says the crowd wants more.

As an angelic Daffy floats upward, he remarks that the trouble with the trick is that you can only do it once.

That's all, folks!

Margo319
#197Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 12:34am

Yeah, it's dead.  They would have announced someone already.  Beautiful production. Horrible choices of the producers.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#198Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 12:49am

Just felt like "Dust and Ashes" - with Groban - was probably some huge moment, but here it felt a little flat and like it should have been...more? I don't know. I saw it the show in the tent, and obviously, it's become something a little different. But I still love the show. I don't see why he needs to play piano/accordion? It doesn't add or take anything away from the piece. Surely they can find someone to come in. It's a pretty simple track to fill, as long as you can sing.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#199Maybe, The Great Comet isn't closing in August 13
Posted: 8/3/17 at 1:04am

I'm sorry - was never interested in seeing Comet... but now I'm beyond done with this.  This daily drip of faux drama "Britain Ashford Confirms her return" (sorry I don't know who that is) feels more like desperation and has gotten annoying.   Will Mandy Pantinkin rescind his resignation next?  

Videos