News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Mother Courage at CSC

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#200Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/2/16 at 9:37pm

ljay889 said: "Off-topic, but anyone else find it hilarious that she tweeted this?? https://twitter.com/tonyapinkins/status/683395427576713217"

Mother Courage at CSC

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

wonkit
#201Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/2/16 at 9:39pm

From a distance, it certainly sounds like Ms. Pinkins thought she was a co-director and that her choices were accepted during rehearsal. And when someone finally said "no," she saw that as evidence of racism and sexism. Maybe her next show should be a one-woman show, written and directed by her? That way there can't possibly be any problems.

notsovirginmary Profile Photo
notsovirginmary
#202Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/2/16 at 11:13pm

I'm just popping in to corroborate LaneBryant's information from several of pages back--I think she was attacked a little unfairly--I heard Ms. Pinkins refer to herself as "co-director" twice during the rehearsal process for Mother Courage. I have no idea if she was contractually the co-director, and she did not receive credit as one, but LaneBryant didn't pull that out of thin air. 

It is also extremely presumptuous to assume that anyone in the cast taking issue with Ms. Pinkins' behavior is not "up to the task" of working with her. Rehearsals have been an uphill battle from day one, but the supporting company has been supporting that cart every step of the way--and they are still giving it their all, even as the show's star phones it in on her way out. 

ETA: I don't think Ms. Pinkins is at fault in this situation. My post could come across that way. I think that this concept, of this play, with this star, and this creative team was just never going to work. And it was handled poorly by everyone in a position to lead. 

"A wonky eye, you've got my friend."
Updated On: 1/2/16 at 11:13 PM

FindingNamo
#203Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/2/16 at 11:45pm

"Maybe her next show should be a one-woman show, written and directed by her? That way there can't possibly be any problems."

She'd have to run lights and sound too.  And confiscate cellphones before the show and return them after.  Which is not to say I don't love her.  For me it's all about the work.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#204Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:10am

I would go see her in Gypsy.

Also, Lady Macbeth.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#205Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:13am

I'm sure that Larry Kramer is writing a play for her as we speak. 

FindingNamo
#206Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:29am

It took him like a decade to include people of color in his harangues about AIDS.  Everything was "the best and the brightest and the richest and the whitest and the most talented, most handsome" gay men the "we" were losing.  Let's just say he was never one for coalition work.

Jordan Catalano
#207Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:39am

She'd be great in so many things if only it weren't  for the awful white people. They ruin everything. 

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#208Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:45am

And the patriarchy. 

Jordan Catalano
#209Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:47am

We can't forget the patriarchy. 

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#210Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:51am

And the directors who cut and alter text for revivals and adaptations. That never happens!

Jordan Catalano
#211Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:52am

ESPECIALLY before you sign on so that you know exactly what you're getting into. They're the worst!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#212Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:24am

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying the sexism and racism in show business. I'm just also not denying that there are unhinged people in show business. 

Jordan Catalano
#213Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:28am

But not in this show. I mean, definitely not in this show. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#214Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 9:18am

I actually got a chance to see this last night, and I agree with the other posters who said that the Congo setting felt tacked on, at best- everything came off as generically "African" rather than of one specific country. While it doesn't seem that this is the only issue Pinkins had with the show, I can see why it would be a source of frustration with her. 

As for all the drama surrounding this, it didn't show during the performance at all. And it's a shame Pinkins is leaving the show because she's pretty much the only worthwhile part of it. The cast tries, but a lot of the acting felt pretty stiff and wooden. In contrast, she has so much presence and played the role beautifully. Set and costumes are unremarkable, though the lighting is decent. Duncan Sheik's music is mostly lovely, but it feels out of place in this production. And the staging as a whole is pretty clunky.

I'd be curious to see who replaces Pinkins, because I think without her performance, the whole production would have been a total wash for me- not awful, but totally unremarkable. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#215Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 10:55am

I would also like to see her in Mother Courage.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#216Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 11:05am

Jordan Catalano said: "She'd be great in so many things if only it weren't  for the awful white people. They ruin everything. "

Anybody else notice that all three of her husbands are/were white men? Just an observation, not saying that she hasn't dealt with racism.

Updated On: 1/3/16 at 11:05 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#217Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 11:25am

I've heard of the alienation effect, but this is ridiculous. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

wonkit
#218Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 11:50am

So, kad, she doesn't need to be in Brecht because she may be living in it?  Possible, very very possible.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#219Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 11:53am

Has anyone heard anything about her replacement? I'm seeing this on the 16th, and I'm curious. It seems like a tough role to step into. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#220Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 11:57am

Mother Courage at CSC

Tonya don't care. She be playin' air gee-tar!  

FindingNamo
#221Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 11:59am

Does Charles Busch replace?

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#222Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:11pm

Here is the online exchange between Pinkins and Potts per the previously mentioned blog. Geez.

Ms. Pinkins responded to Michael Potts’s longer statement with this comment: “It deeply saddens me that my wonderful costar feels he must defend, The establishment.  Michael, you know nothing of what was communicated between myself and the producers and anyone else. You simply saw the fallout. I’ve been working on this production long before you were even considered.  I don’t believe any of the men would have treated me the way I was treated if I was a White woman.  Believe me if I had ‘run’ the show , there would be a finer product.”

Mr. Potts then wrote: “Tonya, the show is a fine product. YOU are a wonderful Mother Courage. You are made for the role. No, I do not know what transpired privately between you and the producers. I can only and was only speaking to what transpired in my presence.”

To which Ms. Pinkins replied: “You speak to your perspective as a man in the room. The patriarchy always thinks it can tell a women what to think and feel and interpret when her No is a ‘Yes’.”

Updated On: 1/3/16 at 12:11 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#223Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:38pm

On a serious note, this whole debacle is puzzling. I assume that the vision of a project is discussed and agreed upon by actor/director/writer/creative team before or even during rehearsals. It seems that everyone involved in the staging of this version of MOTHER COURAGE from director, to adapter, to star were not on the same page. It's like everyone was working independently on their own version/interpretation of the material. That it went this far leading to the star of the show walking out is unfortunate.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#224Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:47pm

It's like everyone was working independently on their own version/interpretation of the material. 

Exactly. And that lack of communication is the fault of one person only: the DIRECTOR.

Updated On: 1/3/16 at 12:47 PM

Videos