News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Mother Courage at CSC

Brick
#225Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 12:56pm

^Bingo.

broadwayboy223
#226Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:01pm

So this is a musical Mother Courage? Everyone keeps mentioning Ducan Sheik 

FindingNamo
#227Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:10pm

Has everything that can possibly be said about this been said about this?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#228Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:14pm

I agree with you PalJoey.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#229Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:18pm

Has everything that can possibly be said about this been said about this?

Not if BWW can help it.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

smidge
#230Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:21pm

I think Carlos hit the nail on the head. That everything got to this point, even during the performances, is totally perplexing and a mess

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#231Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 1:23pm

@Paljoey Nothing is ever one person's fault in the theatre but no question you are right that the fail falls squarely on the director's shoulders. As I wrote elsewhere, the first duty of a director is clarity, and that starts from the first time a project is discussed with an actor. Much here that we don't know, but it is obvious from what we do know that clarity (and consistency) were lacking here. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#232Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 2:23pm

First off, I will admit that I didn't have time to read through this entire thread, so I apologize if this has been discussed already. But in her missive, Pinkins claims that she is only contractually obligated to perform in the production through this weekend. Does that seem odd to anyone else -- that the star of an Off Broadway play running 6 weeks with no understudies would only be contractually obligated to perform half the run? Or is it a loophole that if she stays for at least half the run she can leave without facing a penalty? Contract issues like these are not an area of expertise for me so any insight would be appreciated. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

AEA AGMA SM
#233Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 2:29pm

The contract CSC uses allows for an actor to give two weeks notice to leave the production, which is what Tonya Pinkins did. She gave notice on December 20th, and they all managed to keep it quiet at first while they started to seek a replacement. So it's not that she was only contracted to do the show through January 3rd, but that she exercised the notice clause in the Equity agreement.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#234Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 2:31pm

She was contractually obligated to give two weeks notice, which evidently she did.

BTW, Googling her and her illustrious history of legal and personal battles is pretty interesting. She is a real piece of work.

indytallguy
#235Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 2:46pm

Hard during all this to not to think of some of the lyrics from Lot's Wife that she gave such wonderful voice to in Caroline or Change.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#236Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 2:53pm

Thanks for the clarification on the contract issue. Did not realize that standard 2 weeks notice applied here, should have figured. And even more interesting then if they have been looking for 2 weeks but haven't found someone. Unless they are keeping that under wraps too. 

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 1/3/16 at 02:53 PM

Mekroth
#237Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 5:41pm

broadwayboy223 said: "So this is a musical Mother Courage? Everyone keeps mentioning Ducan Sheik "

Brecht's plays are always sort-of musicals, operettas or "plays with music". If Kurt Weill wrote the score, we usually keep it. If someone else was the composer, like in the case of Mother Courage and Paul Dessau, we like to revise the score every time it's produced. So this time around, the duties were given to Duncan Sheik.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#238Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 5:43pm

broadwayboy223 said: "So this is a musical Mother Courage? Everyone keeps mentioning Ducan Sheik 

"

The play as originally written calls for several songs, but it is not what anybody here would call a "musical".

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#239Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 5:44pm

I wish David Mamet's OLEANNA were half as interesting as the exchanges between Pinkins and Kulick, and the resulting conversations here and on FB.

pal joey is right that it is the director's responsibility to ensure that everybody is working on the same show, so to speak, but we have firsthand reports of Ms. Pinkins insisting on certain stage business and then discarding it a few performances later. That may speak to the director's failure to communicate, but it also could indicate an erratic actress, however talented. Directors aren't magicians; some actors just aren't directable (something Larry Kramer considers a virtue).

Updated On: 1/3/16 at 05:44 PM

FindingNamo
#240Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 5:51pm

I guess Broadwayworld is an auteurist community?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#241Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 6:11pm

I'm going to take these emails and turn them into a play set in Vietnam that centers around the forbidden love of a white man and a whiter woman. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#242Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 6:27pm

@gaveston "firsthand reports of Ms. Pinkins insisting on certain stage business and then discarding it a few performances later." Do we? I don't recall seeing that.

@jordan "I'm going to take these emails and turn them into a play set in Vietnam that centers around the forbidden love of a white man and a whiter woman." Proving once again that, without talent, one can make a sow's ear out of a silk purse. Or stated somewhat differently, don't give up your day job.

A Director
#243Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/3/16 at 11:49pm

Hogan -  The following is from Michael Potts, a cast member, in Mother Courage and Her Children.

AND ANOTHER (January 1, 2016): Michael Potts has published a more lengthy update on his Facebook feed.  In it he strongly supports Tonya Pinkins’s declaration on race and gender in theatre, but offers a differing perspective on the rehearsal and preview-performance process behind CSC’s Mother Courage:

I’ve tried to avoid this, but I see things spiraling out of control. Two issues are being conflated. The first, ?#‎BlackPerspectivesMatter?, in which she is completely correct and I wholeheartedly support. The polemic she sets forth in her incredibly well composed statement on race and sex in the theater, is spot on. The second, the Mother Courage rehearsal process is pure hyperbole.

“The question of Mother Courage being delusional (inelegantly put by the director, for certain) was brought up during our very first week of table work. The director was referring to Brecht’s own writing about the character. As he put it in more elegant fashion and repeatedly stated during the entire rehearsal process, Mother Courage is a tragic character because she never learns. War teaches her nothing.

“Actors know very well that there is nothing incongruous about a director holding one view of the character and the actor holding a different view. Directors normally defer to the actor in nearly all cases. Hopefully, out of this creative tussle, something transcendent appears. Such was the attempt in our production.

“Make no mistake, Tonya ran our production from the start. She was Momma Courage, yes ‘momma’, her request and everyone complied including the Brecht estate. Throughout the rehearsal period, when she wanted to make a change, any change, it was allowed.

“Also, actors are aware that even during technical rehearsal and previews, performances are still evolving and subject to change. However, we also hope by that time, after weeks of rehearsal (4 weeks in this case), certain things are beginning to set up. Though, it’s still possible, wholesale changes in blocking and script are normally less frequent at this stage. Therefore, it is also expected that when an actor decides to make a major change in dialogue and/or blocking that involves fellow actors, that there’s a little friendly heads up if not rehearsal given to those actors. Unfortunately, Tonya didn’t get around to doing that. Still, every actor rolled with it. The director wishing to protect the whole has the job of addressing the situation for the sake of everyone involved in telling the story.

“Allow me to address the ‘fur incident’. This was in the script from day one of rehearsal. There were no problems or questions about this part of the scene through 4 weeks of rehearsal. None. We move to the theater. Costumes are added to the technical process of mounting the play. The scene proceeds and only then is there a conflict about a fur. Tonya states her intention to take the fur and explains it’s what Brecht wrote. This is true…in another translation,-not the one we’d been rehearsing for 4 weeks. The actor wearing the fur defends his position grounded in the text we’re working from. Tonya again asserts it’s what Brecht wants and that she intends to take it. The actor defers to the director. Compromises are immediately offered to resolve the issue. None were suitable to Tonya. The debate is tabled and both Tonya and the other actor confer with the director privately. The decision is reached to do the scene as written. During that evenings performance, Tonya takes the fur. The actor has no choice but to let it stand. She is Mother Courage, after all. Too long a story, shortened, both director and actor acquiesce to Tonya’s choice. Tonya takes the fur for two additional performances then announces that she won’t do it anymore. No explanation. Why was it so essential that a week and a half debate was required? Why after 2 performances, was it now ‘suddenly’ not essential? Was it really about Brecht’s intention? What was this conflict/demand really about? Such was the process of this Mother Courage. I witnessed time and again our director bend over backwards, to the point of spinelessness to try to appease Tonya.

Anyone who has worked with Tonya knows that no one silences her. ‘No one puts baby in the corner!’ Tonya is a force. Her brilliance is clear, her intelligence evident by her release referenced in this post.

“Of course, there were honest creative differences as in any other creative endeavor. However, no one was ever muzzled, rebuked, rebuffed, made voiceless or enslaved.

“Put simply, Tonya wanted to move in an entirely different direction once the show was already rehearsed and set. It was too late in the game to re-rehearse a concept.

“Unfortunately, these statements have led people to conclude that the play is a complete mess, that those of us still involved are left with something lesser and by extension we are lesser actors and a director and theater company’s reputation are being unfairly trashed. I’ve read people already conclude that the director is a racist and sexist. You would be mistaken on all counts. Though, there are justifiable critiques of this production, none of them rise to the level of what’s being insinuated.”

FindingNamo
#244Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 12:14am

^^^ A link to this was posted three pages ago.  Although people really seem to want to keep saying the same things again and again in this Groundhog Day of a thread so maybe they didn't.  Here, I'll start the next round:

Did you hear Tonya Pinkins quit Mother Courage?   She's very gifted so whatever it is I am sure she is in the right.  If only the people involved would make statements and social media posts!  

Updated On: 1/4/16 at 12:14 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#245Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 12:27am

@A Director-thanks. I actually found that a little earlier tonight, after I made the earlier post.

@FindingNamo-not amusing. not clever. but thanks for playing. Oh and if the thread is too long for your ADD, you can move on to the next one. In fact, the gnomes at BWW have created this neat feature that actually letsyou see how many replies there are in a thread without opening it so it's really easy to find one that doesn't tax your attention span.

A Director
#246Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 1:45am

Finding Namo - Who died and made you Boss.  You are turning into another Mr.Roxy.  Give it a few more posts and you'll be another After Eight!

Run along and contact Larry Kramer to chew the fat or, better yet, get in touch with your good old buddy, LIza's Headband.

neonlightsxo
#247Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 9:50am

PalJoey said: " It's like everyone was working independently on their own version/interpretation of the material. 

Exactly. And that lack of communication is the fault of one person only: the DIRECTOR."

Exactly this.

FindingNamo
#248Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 10:07am

Poor Tonya!  Am I right?

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#249Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 10:20am

My favorite part of this thread has been everyone finally (to my knowledge) seeing that FindingNamo isn't as funny as he thinks himself to be and offers pretty much nothing to this board. A red letter day.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Videos