News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Mother Courage at CSC

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#250Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 10:39am

I think he's funnier than he thinks he is.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#251Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 10:53am

He's damn funny. To me. And not funny to others. Just like a lot of people think I'm funny and a lot of others don't. One thing this board, no  the entire internet does, is make people believe that their opinions/views/sense of humor is the ONLY opinion/view/sense of humor. And if you disagree, just tell them you hate them and call them a racist or something along those lines and close the conversation instead of maybe looking to see what the other person was trying to say and their actual intended meaning. It's so easy to just be holier than thou about EVERYTHING online and to clutch those pearls you put on whenever you connect to the Internet.

Jordan Catalano
#252Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 10:54am

FindingNamo
#253Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 11:00am

don't think we can start this story over too many times.  There is so much wisdom and insight!

#TeamTheWork

(I guess whoever that is back there who said whatever he said doesn't know the definition of "everyone".)

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 1/4/16 at 11:00 AM

Jordan Catalano
#254Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 11:12am

The word "everyone" is from the Latin word "Everyoneium" meaning "to exclude others who disagree with you"

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#255Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 12:02pm

All right, I think that's enough debate, folks. Everyone has an opinion about the behavior of Ms. Pinkins and Mr. Kulick, let's move on.

In that vein, the CSC website says performances resume this Friday, the 8th. So evidently there is a replacement. Does anyone know who it is?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#256Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 12:06pm

"All right, I think that's enough debate, folks."

Are you the new King of the Internet?

I'm not getting involved in this discussion here (personally, I think it's too good for BWW), but I encourage everyone to ignore the Baritone's command and keep chiming in.

The Distinctive Baritone
#257Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 1:13pm

Yes, let's see if we can make 11 pages turn into 22. Ready, set, go!

FindingNamo
#258Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 1:17pm

Of course we can.

Let's start at the very beginning...

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

LarryD2
#259Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 1:17pm

Kecia Lewis is the new Mother Courage, per a press release just posted over on ATC.

wonkit
#260Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 2:16pm

Now I want to see this. She is an amazing actress and singer.

The Distinctive Baritone
#261Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/4/16 at 2:48pm

I'm really glad this isn't closing. That would have been really unfortunate for all of the other people involved in the production.

Mekroth
BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#263Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 4:14pm

Its getting VERY difficult to side with her

broadwayboy223
#264Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 4:43pm

I don't know what even to say to that 

VintageSnarker
#265Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 4:48pm

"Michael Potts was a postscript to the production" Damn.

The explanation about the translations does kind of clear up why she would have signed on and then subsequently been unhappy in a production it seemed like she'd agreed to.

As she says "Ladies forgive me for telling stories that are not mine to tell" but if accurate, it paints a different picture of the production if the female cast members were all unhappy vs. the accounts of "diva" behavior we've been getting.

I'm still mostly on her side but this is a real gem. "Why Potts are you coming for me when White men are at the apex of a pyramid built upon Black vaginas?"

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#266Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 4:53pm

Wow. I hope she enjoyed her career. Who is allowing her to release these statements?!?!

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#267Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 5:07pm

@vintagesnarker "The explanation about the translations does kind of clear up why she would have signed on and then subsequently been unhappy in a production it seemed like she'd agreed to."

I am going to resist the temptation to comment on this latest (not likely to be the last) submission. Regarding the translation, however, something is off about the timeline. I cannot imagine that the discussions about a translator (what about what she previously said about getting the Kushner?) happened more than 2 or at most 3 years ago. Stefan has been dead for more than 6 years, It seems bizarre beyond belief that TP showed up for rehearsal not knowing that there was no Ensler adaptation. That she hated Kulick's half-assed adaptation I can believe, likewise that she did not like how he intended to position her character. I'm sure some of this will be further illuminated. But boy-oh-boy, Pottsy!

LaneBryant
#268Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 5:12pm

And she keeps talking.....and it becomes more and more clear..... what I was saying so long ago....... LOL Ya'll have fun!!!

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#269Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 5:17pm

As a white man, my career was built on black vaginas?  Yuk.  I can't say I noticed.

A Director
#270Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 6:05pm

After reading her latest statement, it appears to me Tonya Pinkins has gone over the top.  I would say the same thing if a man wrote such a statement.

I wonder how long the production was in the planning stages.  I do know you don't dash off a new translation in a few months, weeks, or days.  It isn't clear to me, but it appears Tonya Pinkins wanted CSC to use two translation that hadn't been written.  Did Tonya Pinkins read Mother Courage and Her Children in German to know what John Willett did or did not leave out?  Does Tonya Pinkins know that Brecht cut his play? If so, perhaps she wouldn't approve.

I wonder why Tonya Pinkins would agree to appear in a play written by a man?   What do men know about women, Tonya Pinkins?

Based on her latest statement, why would any theatre or company hire Tonya Pinkins?  Based on her latest statement, it appears she doesn't "play well with others."  She would bring tension into the rehearsal room. Everyone would be walking on egg shells.  The atmosphere would be toxic.

Perhaps Tonya Pinkins would be happier starting her own all women's theatre company.  She could hang a sign on the door, "NO MEN ALLOWED!"  On the other hand, I wonder if Tonya Pinkins can ever be happy or content?

Mekroth
#271Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 6:28pm

It's unconscionable the way she's dragging her fellow actresses into this, supposedly quoting them and using their names completely without their permission. That is so absolutely unfair to both of them, especially if they were actually treated so poorly by Kulick.

Dramaturg5050
#272Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 6:35pm

So sad a delusional actor is allowed to publicly slander a talented company of actors and their respected director. After reading all of Tonya Pinkin's comments you have to wonder if there are mental health issues at play. CSC is a wonderful theatre company and don't deserve these attacks. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#273Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 6:42pm

Dramaturg5050 said: " After reading all of Tonya Pinkin's comments you have to wonder if there are mental health issues at play. "

At this point, I do think it's a possibility. 

Updated On: 1/9/16 at 06:42 PM

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#274Mother Courage at CSC
Posted: 1/9/16 at 6:44pm

So...does she hold "Gotham" to these same standards?

Videos