News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 77

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1900SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:10am

Of course so. Now that Julia dramaturged it it's as good as her Pulitzer Worthy unused Bombshell book.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1901SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:11am

When Hilty saw everyone she knew standing behind her during the song I think it was a metaphor and she actually died on stage and that was her going to the light like when Patrick Swayze saw the alien ghosts and said "Molly, I see dead people" and then he disappeared into the ball of light and went to heaven or wherever he went to.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1902SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:15am

Also something Smash does that's commendable - they don't shy away from interracial couplings.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1903SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:16am

When Hilty saw everyone she knew standing behind her during the song I think it was a metaphor and she actually died on stage and that was her going to the light like when Patrick Swayze saw the alien ghosts and said "Molly, I see dead people" and then he disappeared into the ball of light and went to heaven or wherever he went to.

That would explain why Karen looked so happy.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#1904SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:19am

Tom and Kyle are different races?
Oh, Julia and, what is his name?

They should kill off Jimmy in a NY Theatre Workshop RENT type plot.

Jordan Catalano
#1905SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:19am

Maybe Karen is like Bruce Willis and has been dead this whole time.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1906SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:20am

CurtainPully, Tom used to go with Sam the Wretched. That was a GAY interracial coupling!

Updated On: 4/22/13 at 12:20 AM

CurtainPullDowner
#1907SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:27am

I remember that, And Karen an Ivy both went that way too.

Jordan Catalano
#1908SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:33am

There's some great Karen/Ivy lesbianic fan fiction on the internet for anyone with a strong stomach.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1909SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 11:40am

#38 on the Pop Charts, #116 on the regular charts on itunes.

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#1910SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 11:44am

Also it was odd that only Christian was taking a bow on stage with the cast and no other creative team was there.

Did Eileen tell others not to take a bow on opening night?

FindingNamo
#1911SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 11:47am

I no longer thing it's going to be Jeremy Julie Jordan who dies but rather Kyle. Since unlike Jeremy who will be forced into a vow of Zen passivism by Karen, Kyle will be the only one with the cojones to step up to Adam. Then Hit List will win the Pulitzer and next season Debbie will sue the Kyle estate for royalties because she will claim she wrote the book for Hit List and Tom will hate her for suing his dead latest-almost-boyfriend.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

beensince1987 Profile Photo
beensince1987
#1912SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:03pm

^The show could be airing 5 days a week in the afternoon

Updated On: 4/22/13 at 12:03 PM

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#1913SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 1:39pm

And Karen used to be engaged(?) to Dev. That was an interracial interspecies couple!

I'm shocked to see that no one has commented on the fact that Ivy was reading the All That Chat messageboard rather than this beloved one.

I really enjoyed this episode and I'm sure like everyone else it was because it was heavily Ivy-centric and focusing all on BOMBSHELL. Ivy's version of "Don't Forget Me" almost had me in tears. I can't believe this wasn't on the fake cast recording.

A little confused about GATSBY now though. I thought Julia wanted to make it into a musical but now she's talking about being a playwright and producing it at Collins' theatre. Am I just misremembering?

And ugh Leo. Thankfully he got a haircut but YUCK!

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

willep
#1914SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 1:56pm

Haha, yeah I noticed she was reading ATC. Forgot about it, though.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#1915SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 2:32pm

I was happy to see the emphasis on Bombshell and Hilty. IMO, that has been the biggest mistake that was made in this years show. JJ looks like he's smelling cooked onions in every scene he is in and McPhee only seems alive in scenes with Hilty. Also enjoyed the Tom & Julia storyline but unfortunately it's too little too late for this show.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#1916SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 2:57pm

And Karen used to be engaged(?) to Dev. That was an interracial interspecies couple!

This line made me literally el oh el.

A little confused about GATSBY now though. I thought Julia wanted to make it into a musical but now she's talking about being a playwright and producing it at Collins' theatre. Am I just misremembering?

No, I think you have it right. She did want Tom to musicalize it with her, but since he won't and she's got the in with Collins (not to mention that first draft of Bombshell has confirmed she is now a PLAYWRIGHT) she'll turn it into a play. I guess it's possible she could find a new composer to work with, but we probably would have already heard about that if she were. It would be some Broadway semi-star brought on to play a new composer that will threaten Julia and Tom's longstanding collaboration for about an episode, maybe two.

But I think she's just writing a play.

sparepart973
#1917SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 3:07pm

I would love it if they release Ivy's DON'T FORGET ME on iTunes. Does anyone know if this will happen?

FindingNamo
#1918SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 3:08pm

Why would they look here for horrible, dispirting, undermining posts about Ivy? Of course they would look at That's Ann Miner!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Ham3
#1919SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:33pm

There's already been a play made from Gatsby on Broadway. Written by Owen Davis, drected by George Cukor, with Florence Eldridge as Daisy. Ran for 112 performances at the Ambassador in 1926.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#1920SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:36pm

Those people don't exist in SMASHLAND!

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1921SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:54pm

One of the most emphatic examples of the show's amateurish writing is how they constantly introduce an element to the narrative and in that same episode, that element becomes a central part of the story. So even though we'd never heard about Julia and Tom talking about THE GREAT GATSBY, in this episode we get one scene with Julia looking at an old copy of the novel and immediately becoming obsessed with the idea of doing the show, and even going as far as telling Tom that they're going to announce it in the opening party. Of course, she listed a bunch of reasons why she wanted to musicalize the novel, but then at the end it's stated that she'll just write it as a play.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

SporkGoddess
#1922SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 5:38pm

Where are our Bombshell and Hit List shills, then?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Plexsis
#1923SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 11:06pm

Just FYI: Marc Shaiman posted a free download of Hilty's "Don't Forget Me" on his facebook.

CurtainPullDowner
#1924SMASH
Posted: 4/22/13 at 11:20pm

I don't think Julia's "play" is Gatsby, but something else completely different, unless I missed something.

Videos