News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

New York City

rentforthesoul Profile Photo
rentforthesoul
#25re: New York City
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:21am

That's awesome! I actually live 2 hours north of St. Louis and make it down there quite often. The Fox has to be my favorite place in the world!

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#26re: New York City
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:34am

Jordangirl, I grew up right outside of Nashville and now I live in Jersey. I am in Manhattan or the Bronx on the weekends and I love it! My job and clients that I love are here in Jersey, otherwise I would probably be closer. My attitude completely changes when I am there. I walk faster, but I smile more. re: New York City And I can spot a tourist at 50 paces.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

broadwaybaby086
#27re: New York City
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:15am

I've lived here for three years and JUST found out about HopStop at the beginning of this calendar year. Where have I been?

I never feel unsafe here. Okay, I *rarely* feel unsafe here.

Also, I find New Yorkers to be very nice. Shockingly so. My friend unknowingly dropped her wallet in Times Square and was completely in tears. Within 15 minutes, we had heard from the credit card company and the police department, and within 20 she had her wallet- with everything intact- in her hands. Someone had picked it up and turned it in to the nearest police officer. Talk about upstanding citizens. Take that, skeptical people!

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#28re: New York City
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:18am

Times Square is a giant, flashy tourist trap. Not to sound too elitist, I can see why people would want to see it and I'm always happy to go there to see shows, but I've never met anyone who lived in New York and actually liked the Times Square area.

Rotel, because Times Square is so tourist-oriented and the tourists go to bed relatively early compared to other nightlife seekers, it does close down a bit early. Try the Village, Chelsea, or the Meatpacking District for some real late-night fun.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#29re: New York City
Posted: 6/11/07 at 10:16am

JerseyGirl2 ~ I totally understand! :) Usually when I'm with my parents (when they visit) I'm trying to keep up with my dad. But here, I'm FAR outpacing him. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#30re: New York City
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:24am

I moved to NYC going on 4 years ago from a small town in Maryland, and I love it. I had visited NYC a LOT before I moved here, and I had a lot of friends who already lived here, so I didn't really have a difficult adjustment period. One of my favorite things is not having to have a car. I hate driving.

I will "warn" you that the luster wears off a bit once you live here and actually have to go to work instead of just visiting and having fun (at least it did for me). But it's totally worth it to be right here in the thick of things.

If you really want to move here, try to come and visit a few more times and check out different neighborhoods. Research rent prices in different areas before you come and check out areas that are in your budget. Finding an affordable place to live is probably the most challenging part of moving to NYC, so research research research.

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#31re: New York City
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:30pm

I love NYC! I'm still in awe every time I go. I love getting walk everywhere. I love getting fresh fruit on every block. I love walking down the street and seeing Chuck Wagner or Sutton Foster or that chorus girl from THE MUSIC MAN. I love seeing theatre stuff all over.
Broadway Blog: Drop That Name!

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#32re: New York City
Posted: 6/12/07 at 1:34pm

Can i ask a dumb question. The steps down to the subway-the signs-why does it have more than one thing on it. Like "R,Q,W etc" does that mean it stops at all of those?

broadwaybaby086
#33re: New York City
Posted: 6/12/07 at 1:44pm

That means that those are the subway lines that stop at that station. For example, The Times Square subway station hosts/has access to the A,C,E,N,Q,R,W,S,1,2,3, and 7 trains. Less congested areas may only have one line that stops (even though the (upper) east side is far from empty and only has one line).

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

nomdeplume
#34Bernadette!
Posted: 6/12/07 at 1:57pm

Bernadette Peters would be the only person that could get me back in that theatre to see Grey Gardens again.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#35Bernadette!
Posted: 6/12/07 at 2:22pm

And be sure to read the small (sometimes tiny) print on the signs. Some entrances ONLY go uptown or downtown, and if you're going the other way, you either a) get on a train until you can transfer back the other way, b) lose your $2.00 fare, or c) (if you've got an unlimited card) wait 16 minuted before going in the other side.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#36Bernadette!
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:09pm

And I totally posted in the wrong thread. Sorry.

Um...go New York!

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
Updated On: 6/12/07 at 03:09 PM

ucjrdude902
#37Bernadette!
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:13pm

we'll i personally hate to transfer subways but now with hopstop it tells me how i can get to where i need to get without having to.

Does NYC have windstream like we have in the south. You get DSL,TV and a phone line for a certain price.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#38Bernadette!
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:18pm

Does NYC have windstream like we have in the south. You get DSL,TV and a phone line for a certain price.

I have no idea what a windstream is (i'm guessing name of a company?) but yes you can get dsl, cable and phone lines in NYC.

ucjrdude902
#39Bernadette!
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:31pm

yeah its the name of a company. But in the south you get all 3 for 40 dollars a month.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#40New York City
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:43pm

Yankeefan, you're so much more logical than I am about dealing with tourists. Usually I start screaming "Oh my God! They're just cememnt buildings! Keep moving!" But then I realize what it must be like to see Times Square for the first time and feel bad that I got mad.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#41Bernadette!
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:44pm

I think TimeWarner has a package where you get phone, dsl and cable tv for $99/month. I don't know anyone with a landline out here, though, everyone I know is on cell only...actually, I lied- I do know one person with a landline...but I know I've seen promos for that $99 package.

My roommate and I just paid bills for this month, we pay TimeWarner approx $120/month- that's for cable modem, and cable tv (with HBO and two cable boxes.)

siny
#42Bernadette!
Posted: 6/12/07 at 3:47pm

In NYC, you get Verizon FIOS - the best thing ever ! DSL is so last century.....

rentforthesoul Profile Photo
rentforthesoul
#43NYC
Posted: 6/12/07 at 7:15pm

I do love NYC... I just dont know if I could ever live there... I love my small city of 18,000... haha... NYC is such a beautiful place though... Its rich in culture and I love that part of it... To be honest though... 9/11 incident still scares me a little bit... Do any of you ever worry about that? Where were you the day that it happened... If it makes you uncomfortable to talk about (I completely understand) then please dont feel obliged.

lindas13
#44NYC
Posted: 6/12/07 at 7:48pm

One funny thing... daughter and I have traveled to NY for years but this last trip we took our men. They just had to see Coyote Ugly... well ugh.even we were sorely disappointed at the size and the smell and the overwhelmingly cheap looking gals (customers as well as the workers)not that we expected beauty queens with money but they could have looked like good hookers..ha ha. anyway... two of the gals were drinking and litterally puking in a bucket. note to all .. including self. don't go there again BUT there was a little place to eat across the street and the food was soo good. sandwiches and calzones but really hot and fresh(unlike the girls at CO).

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#45NYC
Posted: 6/12/07 at 7:52pm

The NYC subway system can seem really intimidating, but the map available at every stop is so easily diciphered. It's not difficult.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

broadwaytourist
#46NYC
Posted: 6/12/07 at 8:25pm

I went to NYC alone for a weekend in May. I had been there four or five times with husband, but I wanted to go alone to do what I wanted to, see the plays and musicals I wanted to (Company, Don't Quit, GG, SA, Journey's End, and Chicago), eat where I wanted to, etc. Yes, I'm a selfish woman having a midlife crisis. Anyway, I say all that to say I decided to go to South Street Seaport to see The Bodies exhibit, and I took a cab from Times Square Area - $20 with tip. So, on the way back, I put my fat a** on the subway and did fine. $7.00 for multiuse ticket, and I used it again that day. Another day, I took subway up to Gugenheim and back down after I walked across Central Park. If I can make it there, ... wait ... oh that's not original - If I can navigate the subways alone, anyone can do it. Sometimes, I wish I were single, brave, and had one iota of talent, and I'd be moving to NYC myself. Good luck and enjoy the city.

lindas13
#47NYC
Posted: 6/12/07 at 10:31pm

Updated On: 6/13/07 at 10:31 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#48NYC
Posted: 6/12/07 at 10:36pm

One other subway tip... If you're using the revolving gate things rather than the amusement park turnstiles, you DO go in that space between the bars holding them up and the sticking out part (I'm not explaining it well...hang on...). Do NOT treat it like a revolving door and turn it to get more space. You will lose your fare.

My father did this. He reached up, grabbed the bars and turned to walk behind them. He had turned it too far before his reaction to my "NO!!!!!!!!!!" kicked in. (Thankfully a nice man came along and let Daddy go in with him.)

When they're here in July, we're avoiding those entrances if at all possible. Or he and my mom are going first.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

retrogirl44 Profile Photo
retrogirl44
#49NYC
Posted: 6/12/07 at 11:48pm

now THAT was funny!! Your'e NOt A nYER???!!!

Videos