News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread- Page 25

Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#600Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/4/15 at 7:24pm

I admire the bravery of HighFlyingAdored97. And after seeing the show 20 times now with all 4 Hedwigs, I will also say that I felt NPH was better IN THIS PARTICULAR PRODUCTION since it was very much tailored to his strengths and he has an increadible ability to fill a Broadway house with his charisma. For me, NPH is the Broadway Hedwig.

JCM is wonderful and I very much love this and all of his performances. 

bstrumwasser Profile Photo
bstrumwasser
#601Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/4/15 at 7:52pm

Don't miss out on a Limited Edition signed print of Tony Winner Lena Hall Who Sets Final Date in Broadway's Hedwig and the Angry Inch.Help support Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.

http://www.brianstrumwasser.com/store/p3/Lena_Hall_as_Yitzhak_in_Hedwig_and_the_Angry_Inch.html
http://www.brianstrumwasser.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

B Strumwasser www.BrianStrumwasser.com

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#602Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:06pm

I was happy to get side orchestra seats for only $119 with my Amex card. Nice to get a little break from the 200 and 139 priced seats.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#603Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 4:14pm

"I admire the bravery of HighFlyingAdored97. And after seeing the show 20 times now with all 4 Hedwigs, I will also say that I felt NPH was better IN THIS PARTICULAR PRODUCTION since it was very much tailored to his strengths and he has an increadible ability to fill a Broadway house with his charisma. For me, NPH is the Broadway Hedwig."

Of course he is, if you like Hedwig sans any emotion. Like a happy go lucky, Vegas style barbie Hedwig!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Jamie Pierce
#604Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:20pm

I think that's a pretty dismissive statement but I understand the context of this conversation. NPH's Hedwig elicited many emotions in me and I had a profound experience at the Belasco watching him in the role. So much so that I returned an additional 12 times and managed to have a similar experience each time. But I just haven't been able to recreate that with the subsequent Hedwigs, at least thus far. Perhaps it is I who is the Barbie doll from Vegas! But these things are subjective and I image no two theatregoers have the same experience and none can be qualified as good or bad. 

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 06:20 PM

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#605Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:26pm

NPH is still the only Hedwig I've seen but didn't everyone adore him while he was in the show? I know I heard nothing but praise about him, why would people change their opinions now because JCM is in the show? Kind of confused. Either way, he was spectacular when I saw him and will stand by that forever. He totally transformed when I saw him.

Jamie Pierce
#606Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:36pm

There is definitely a phenomenon that occurs involving the inevitable backlash once something reaches popular consensus as being good (or at least widely acknowledged). Those who like to think of themselves as purist or outside the mainstream are quick to dismiss anything that reaches a certain level of popularity. 

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 06:36 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#607Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:41pm

All I can answer you guys with is - if you never saw and loved the show off broadway, then you're apt to love NPH in the role. Most of us who really feel the character don't think there's even a comparison between anyone and JCM. Although I respect the opinions of others, I can't wrap my head around seeing JCM, who created the character, lived it, and feels it down to the core of his soul, and thinking anyone else is even close. Oh well, each to his own.

Actor in the role notwithstanding, I'm glad you loved the show. It's something special.

pennydreadful Profile Photo
pennydreadful
#608Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:42pm

NPH was the first time I'd ever seen Hedwig, any Hedwig.  So I thought he was pretty much the second coming of Christ.  But when I saw JCM, I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role.  He *is* Hedwig, while the others just play Hedwig, at least to me.  I was lucky enough to see NPH twice (and get face-humped!) and MCH once.  They were both great in the role.  NPH was a consummate showman, and MCH was like a really butch Betty Boop.  But I've seen JCM four times, and plan to see his last performance if I can swing it.  

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#609Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:48pm

"Those who like to think of themselves as purist or outside the mainstream are quick to dismiss anything that reaches a certain level of popularity."

And in most cases, the purists and outsiders are correct. Most of the USA has pretty poor to mediocre taste.

Hmm, that reminds me - Hedwig is a total outsider, lol!

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#610Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:50pm

It's not so much that I changed my opinion of his performance as that I've thought the subsequent Hedwigs were better than him, so he suffers by comparison. But I absolutely enjoyed him in the role. J52 calling him the Broadway Hedwig is exactly why I think he's the weakest. Hedwig (the show) may be on Broadway, but Hedwig (the person) isn't Broadway. They built the entire conceit about having a one-night show on the set of a failed musical, acquired through sexual favors to Bob Wankel to explain why Hedwig is where she is. She doesn't belong there. NPH's performance was very entertaining, but he was too smooth, too perfect, too eager to please. Rannells is my fave after JCM because he brought more anger and bitterness than NPH. And JCM, to me, just IS Hedwig. He embodies her completely. It's amazing to witness.

The Guardian review sums up my feelings on this pretty well. To each their own, obviously, and if NPH meant a lot to someone as Hedwig, that's great. I love it when people connect to this show.

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 06:50 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#611Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 6:56pm

Excellent assessment, Mariel! The NPH show (as opposed to the Hedwig show) was "look how well I sing and dance and run up a wall. Look at me, I'm the consummate entertainer!" That isn't Hedwig at all. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#612Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:02pm

This is an interesting discussion where everyone is right, but Jane and a few others express the depth of understanding of the piece as a whole. With any theatre criticism, it can help when the viewer has a vast understanding of the material. 

The inception of Hedwig was her as a broken blossom-that was the original conceit. It was re-worked for Broadway in a more athletic and as Jane put it "Vegas-y" concept. This does not diminish Neil's work or his Tony. He earned them. He was great. However, to those who understood the initial pathos and darkness of the original conception, Neil was not the medium for that emotion. He did not deliver. I greatly enjoyed his interpretation, but it was not what I connected to originally about the piece. 

As an example, the only Roses I have seen are Peters and LuPone. I wouldn't venture to say either was best since I never experienced Merman or Daly live. 

I do not think people are comparing NPH to this incarnation of JCM. They are referring to that zeitgeist moment in time at the Jane Street Theatre. They are ones who truly understand. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#613Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:12pm

I really enjoyed NPH but he was doing the show, not playing the character. He's an excellent entertainer and very charming, but this show is ultimately a character study. The first time I truly responded to this show and production was with Andrew Rannells, who brought an anger and a masculinity that were fascinating and unique to him. And, of course, he sang the hell out of it. 

JCM is in a class by himself, though. I've seen him 4 times on Broadway thus far (and I'll be seeing him a 5th time at his last performance), and what he does can't be matched because Hedwig clearly lives inside of him. It doesn't even feel like he's acting, he's just living as this person onstage. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#614Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:15pm

Thank you Betty and Marvelous.

NPH was put in as the broadway opener because the producers are brilliant.

leezy8242
#615Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:44pm

what would I give to be able to make it back to NYC to see JCM before he leaves...reading all of these posts is killing me!! 

Granted, I was fortunate enough to see Andrew Rannells back in September, but to see JCM plus Rebecca Naomi Jones starting would be so awesome. *tears of a broke college student*

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#616Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:59pm

I never saw the show downtown. Loved the movie but that was the extent of my exposure. Saw NPH last summer and thought he was brilliant. His performance was exhilarating and hilarious and the opening chords of Origin of Love brought tears to my eyes. I spent much of his performance marveling at his athleticism, but I absolutely left the theater very satisfied and I was thrilled when he won the Tony. Also saw and very much enjoyed Rannells.

Then I saw JCM. It was a different show. An entirely different character. I felt that performance in my bones. I walked out of the theater and could not speak, got home and sat on my front stoop (in late January) for half an hour trying to sort out what had just happened to me. As so many have said, I loved NPH's portrayal of Hedwig, but with JCM, I feel that I'm seeing Hedwig herself.

This is a horrible example, but its like seeing the Pee Wee Herman show with some other actor as Pee Wee, then later Paul Rubens takes over the role.

Of course, there's more to it than that. JCM manages to be so uproariously funny and shockingly quick witted that you don't realize he's spending 2 hours breaking your heart until its too late. 

Whatever your preference, its great to see this material getting so much renewed appreciation and discussion.  And even the NPH doubters know that without him, we wouldn't have the master on stage right now :)

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 07:59 PM

A1st
#617Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 8:35pm

This is how I see it, not in terms of how they marketed the show, but how they both portrayed the character :

Before it was-

NEIL PATRICK HARRIS STARS IN Hedwig and the Angry Inch...

As opposed to-

HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH starring John Cameron Mitchell...

FindingNamo
#618Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 8:42pm

Well, if that's how you see it.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

pennydreadful Profile Photo
pennydreadful
#619Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 11:42pm

I'm glad NPH turned lots of new people on to Hedwig.  But I want everyone to see JCM:  "CRATE!"  And I'm so, so lucky to have seen this show seven times.  I hope JCM is being filmed for the archives at Lincoln Center.  I fear only NPH was.

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 11:42 PM

timisimaginary
#620Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/6/15 at 11:50pm

i came to Hedwig through the film. all i know of the original off-broadway show comes through the documentary on the dvd, and the few random clips on youtube. so when i heard it was coming to broadway i was ecstatic, and thought the casting of NPH was inspired. i loved his performance. and being a big Dexter and Six Feet Under fan, i was doubly excited to see Michael C Hall. when i saw him first in November, i was underwhelmed which i blame completely on the baggage of having been such a fan of his in those other roles that i couldn't see past the performer to accept him in this role. which is why, in retrospect, i was so glad to get a 2nd unexpected chance to see him when he stood in for JCM in february. when i could finally shed the baggage i brought with me that first time, i could truly take in his performance and better appreciate it.

seeing JCM himself play the role is a dream come true. it's a completely different show with him than anyone else. i've only seen his post-injury shows, but having seen him first at the end of february and then again this past weekend, i can tell just from the amount of changes and differences in just over a month that he's made to the show, that it would have changed and evolved with him regardless of the injury. and perhaps the best part of JCM's performance is that he really brings the yitzhak relationship to the forefront. the previous performances yitzhak felt underutilized, the show was about hedwig and tommy and their story and yitzhak was like a bystander. JCM has really made the show about hedwig and yitzhak, and that is to its benefit. so glad i was able to see him with lena hall, she was great before but he brought out the best in her. also, JCM is by far the FUNNIEST hedwig. he inhabits the role so completely that he can ad-lib, go off script, and never once leave character. and all the new jokes and bits he's added to the show are just hilarious. seen JCM 4x now, and will be back for his final performance 4/26 and can't wait to see how much more the show has grown by then, and the differences that a new dynamic with the new yitzhak will bring.

i don't think it's fair to compare any other hedwig to JCM. it's like comparing an elvis impersonator to the King himself. no matter how good any other hedwig may be, they are just playing the role, but JCM created the character, he lived the character, he drew so much of the character from his own life. no one else can possibly embody the role the way he does. that said, everyone who's played the role has brought themselves to the character, emphasized different aspects of the character and perhaps glossed over others in the process, but having seen both NPH and MCH (though not AR), in the role, i felt both were excellent and gave amazing performances. it's certainly no criticism of any other hedwig to say the can't compare to JCM, and there's no need to tear down their performances either because they don't reach the same heights as JCM. if they weren't as emotionally satisfying as JCM himself, it's only because that's an impossible standard for any other actor in the role to live up to.

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 11:50 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#621Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/7/15 at 12:07am

"NPH was the first time I'd ever seen Hedwig, any Hedwig.  So I thought he was pretty much the second coming of Christ.  But when I saw JCM, I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role.  He *is* Hedwig, while the others just play Hedwig, at least to me.  I was lucky enough to see NPH twice (and get face-humped!) and MCH once.  They were both great in the role.  NPH was a consummate showman, and MCH was like a really butch Betty Boop.  But I've seen JCM four times, and plan to see his last performance if I can swing it.  "

All three Hedwigs have be preserved by other means- in beautiful HD. And Am Pretty Sure JCM has been too- Just haven't gotten it myself yet.

Darreyl with an L!
Updated On: 4/7/15 at 12:07 AM

RussT2
#622Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/7/15 at 5:32am

A new drawing and layout.

Updated On: 4/7/15 at 05:32 AM

ghostlight2
#623Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/7/15 at 11:01am

"All I can answer you guys with is - if you never saw and loved the show off broadway, then you're apt to love NPH in the role. Most of us who really feel the character don't think there's even a comparison between anyone and JCM."

I saw NPH playing Hedwig - quite well - but I always saw the actor, never the character. Entertaining, but not deep. It was fine, but I would not have paid to see it. Until now, my favorite Hedwig was Cerveris, but JCM, especially after the injury, is something not to be missed.

"I do not think people are comparing NPH to this incarnation of JCM. They are referring to that zeitgeist moment in time at the Jane Street Theatre. They are ones who truly understand. "

Don't forget those of us who also saw it at Squeezebox, before it hit Jane Street.

#624Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread
Posted: 4/7/15 at 11:39am

I saw the show literally dozens of times at Jane Street, and every performance of Hedwig at Squeezebox (and at the Public, and at Fez under Time Cafe).  So I am speaking from a pretty knowledgeable place when I say that NPH's performance was and remains the best Hedwig I ever saw--and that goes for JCM's wonderful reincarnation of the role on Broadway.  But to each his own. 

Updated On: 4/7/15 at 11:39 AM

Videos