News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread- Page 12

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#275Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/21/22 at 9:46pm

I know it’s a long shot, but I’m looking for a seat for the evening show on 12/10… it’s a needle in a haystack but figured it was worth asking. Pm me if you have one to sell. 

chrishuyen
#276Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/21/22 at 11:27pm

I had won the lottery for this and seats were at the end of row A.  The stage is super low so no issues in that sense, though my friend did say her neck was sore from needing to turn to one side the whole time.

I thought this was about as good as it could be and had a fantastic time!  The set is essentially the same as the one you see in the proshot, with a few minor differences.  Also like the proshot, the overture is truncated  and the ending doesn't exactly end on the last note of Our Time. There are some slight staging changes (I liked this version of Gussie's Opening Number much better), but I think the big thing is that the characters really feel lived in.  These actors definitely studied the material and brought a lot of compassion to the characters.  A lot of the lyrics are delivered in a different way or half-spoken in a way that generates more of an emotional moment. 

The three leads are absolutely great but I don't think there's a weak link in the cast at all.  Daniel Radcliffe really has terrific comedic timing and his Franklin Shepard Inc. brought the house down, as expected (I also think it's apparent that he's not used to a body mic because he kept hitting it during Bobbie and Jackie and Jack); Lindsay Mendez is really quite sympathetic as Mary but I thought she shone especially in Now You Know (and she also added a few touches throughout the show that allowed me to see the scene/line differently); and of course Jonathan Groff sounds great and also manages to imbue Frank with the charisma needed.  Krystal Joy Brown was also a standout as Gussie, and it's clear she's really savoring the camp that Gussie employs, and same with Reg Rogers as Joe.

One small script change I noticed was they cut the lines "at least he's not black/at least she's not pregnant", though I'm not sure why they didn't keep the latter.  A couple small tech issues, a backdrop didn't come down at the appropriate time, and it took a bit more time to remove another set piece, though the show just continued around it.  

The sound was a little strange, the orchestra perched essentially in the "attic"/second floor of the set, though it was walled off with a few windows and I wish it was just open instead (like Kimberly Akimbo), and I think they relied too much on the mics during the overture (or maybe it was just a lot of it was coming from the keyboard).  It wasn't as vibrant as I wanted and sounded almost canned, and I'm not sure if that was just where I was sitting or if they're still working on the balance, but I didn't notice that quite as much later on.

Glad people were able to get cancellation tickets (though 10am is wild)!  I think I saw Ben Brantley picking up tickets too so that was an interesting to see.

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#277Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 12:04am

I was at the first preview performance tonight (also thanks to a cheap lottery ticket). I had only previously seen the 2019 Fiasco Theatre/Roundabout version which I know was intentionally stripped down, but this version is different enough that I felt like I was watching Merrily We Roll Along for the first time.  

I really enjoyed this new version, though a few things felt off to me. The more violent moments such as Mary throwing things at Franklin Shepard's party and Franklin attacking a photographer felt a little over the top to me in the context of how those characters acted in the rest of the piece. 

Also Gussie is such a one-dimensional villain, it's really boring. That's not meant as a criticism of Krystal Joy Brown's performance. 

Daniel Radcliffe was a lot of fun Charley Kringas and I'm pretty sure his performance of "Franklin Shepard, Inc." got the biggest applause break in the first act. He has a much more limited range as a singer than Jonathan Groff and Lindsay Mendez, but because his character feels so overshadowed by Franklin, that limitation actually plays into their existing dynamic.  When Charley solos on "Good Thing Going"  that was the only point Radcliffe's singing didn't work for me. 

Jonathan Groff and Lindsay Mendez were both excellent, and it was a joy seeing two performers that good so excited to perform. After their final bow, Groff left the stage hugging Mendez, literally hopping off stage.  

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#278Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 12:13am

Jonathan Cohen said: " When Charley solos on "Good Thing Going" that was the only point Radcliffe's singing didn't work for me."

When LMM played Charley at Encores, they had Colin Donnell join him singing it as a duet. Maybe they can do that here. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#279Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 1:19am

any merch? any stagedoor reports?

chrishuyen
#280Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 1:25am

ljay889 said: "When LMM played Charley at Encores, they had Colin Donnell join him singing it as a duet. Maybe they can do that here."

This is part of the show. Charley sings it once by himself and then Frank convinces him to sing it again by saying he'll sing with him. 

The email I got prior to the show specifically asked people not to stage door and I don't believe I saw any merch (does NYTW usually have any?)

Springtime
#281Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 1:28am

Two people have posted solo photos with Groff (wearing his bike helmet) outside the theatre after the show.

Springtime
#282Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:12am

Gary Stevens has posted on Instagram that members of the original Broadway and London casts of Merrily watched the performance and met the new cast at the first preview (one photo only from his post copied below).

From garystevensnj on Instagram:

garystevensnj

Experiencing Monday night’s first preview of New York Theatre Workshop’s exhilarating new production of “Merrily We Roll Along”, together with fellow members of our original Broadway cast (Liz Callaway, Mana Allen, David Loud, David Cady, Jim Walton and Evan Pappas from the original London cast) was nothing short of magical! And celebrating with this brilliant new cast and crew was the icing on this delicious cake!Congratulations to each and all!!! Here’s to us, who’s like us, damn few. #passingthetorch #merrilywerollalong #newyorktheatreworkshop #sondheim #broadwaymusicals

Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW

Updated On: 11/22/22 at 04:12 AM

OuttaTowner
#283Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:49am

What’s the current running time of the production?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#284Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 7:46am

chrishuyen said: "ljay889 said: "When LMM played Charley at Encores, they had Colin Donnell join him singing it as a duet. Maybe they can do that here."

This is part of the show. Charley sings it once by himself and then Frank convinces him to sing it again by saying he'll sing with him.

The email I got prior to the show specifically asked people not to stage door and I don't believe I saw any merch (does NYTW usually have any?)
"

Listen to the cast album. The solo version is a duet. I saw the production live, and it made sense to support Lin’s weaker vocals.  

Updated On: 11/22/22 at 07:46 AM

chrishuyen
#285Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 10:24am

ljay889 said: "chrishuyen said: "ljay889 said: "When LMM played Charley at Encores, they had Colin Donnell join him singing it as a duet. Maybe they can do that here."

"

Listen to the cast album. The solo version is a duet. I saw the production live, and it made sense to support Lin’s weaker vocals.
"

My apologies, you're correct, I can't believe I never noticed that. fwiw I didn't really have the same issue with Daniel Radcliffe singing this solo, yes he's obviously not as experienced a singer as someone like Jonathan Groff but I think he does pretty well at staying on pitch and emoting through the song. (Also I feel like I'm just used to hearing weaker singers when songwriters sing their own score so in that sense it worked for me as well)

spicemonkey
#286Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 12:07pm

chrishuyen said: "

The email I got prior to the show specifically asked people not to stage door and I don't believe I saw any merch (does NYTW usually have any?)"

They normally do not sell merch

but for this production, i was hoping they at least sell the window card :) guess not happening

also I heard there was no physical copy of the program, is that correct? Would be a huge disappointment if so (even with digital version)

Updated On: 11/22/22 at 12:07 PM

WillyTheSalesman
#287Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 12:47pm

there is a physical program

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#288Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 12:56pm

Ushers hand out the physical program as people exit the theater at the end of the performance. If you want to read the program before that, there's a QR code on the back of the seats, so you can read the digital program on your phone.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#289Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 2:30pm

What I'm really hoping is that some people, especially those that aren't super fans of the show, think it works or is 'fixed' by this cast. And that it can transfer to Broadway and be a success. It feels like every time a new production rolls around the block we are waiting on the edge of our seats for <insert casting choice> or <insert directing choice> or <insert rewrite> to 'fix' the show. Could this be it? Or will it be the final nail in the coffin for the show after 40 years lol. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

rattleNwoolypenguin
#290Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 3:07pm

I’m of the camp that Merrily basically works.

it’s just truly depressing. Happy to hear this production is successful! 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#291Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 3:52pm

The Sondheim Festival production worked just fine.

I don't find it depressing.  Just an interesting slice of these 3 people's lives.  If anything, it's cautionary.  Your life is your choices.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#292Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 4:25pm

Skip23 said: "The Sondheim Festival production worked just fine.

I don't find it depressing. Just an interesting slice of these 3 people's lives. If anything, it's cautionary. Your life is your choices.

"

Realistic, if not pessimistic.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

rattleNwoolypenguin
#293Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:48pm

The reason I say it’s depressing is- I’m not surprised by anything as the show goes along. It just plays out with Frank ruining his relationships in reverse. “How did we get here? Where is the moment?” Well, then we see the moment and it doesn’t bring much more than what you probably assumed to the table.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#294Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 6:09pm

My biggest problem with Merrily is that Furth's book is so lazy, often uninteresting, and at times very elementary.

For example, "I'm not out to hurt you, Frank, but I'll hurt you if I have to." Some lines are just painful, and sound like they were written by an amateur. 

The Fiasco production tried tinkering with the book to solve some issues, but it didn't really help at all. 

Now the score is marvelous, but I don't think any iteration of Furth's book will ever match the score. 

Updated On: 11/22/22 at 06:09 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#295Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 6:18pm

There are some single seats available for this weekend on the NYTW website.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#296Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 6:32pm

TaffyDavenport said: "There are some single seats available for this weekend on the NYTW website."

They are available for $69, $99 and $120.   In your dreams.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#297Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 6:38pm

Skip23 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "There are some single seats available for this weekend on the NYTW website."

They are available for $69, $99 and $120. In your dreams.
"

Not sure what this means. There was 1 seat available for Saturday night, and 2 for Sunday night, $149 each. Obviously, they're gone now.

Updated On: 11/22/22 at 06:38 PM

wagon-wheel-watusi
#298Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 6:39pm

Can someone offer info about these comments:

"Never saw a production before, but knew the score and text, its just pretty great - aside from the set"

"The set is essentially the same as the one you see in the proshot, with a few minor differences"

They're referring to the 2013 Menier Chocolate Factory production, right? Is this confirmation that it's pretty much the same set & production as Menier but with an American cast? I really liked the Menier production, but I don't feel like I need to see it again (even with the star wattage).

chrishuyen
#299Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 11/22/22 at 6:47pm

wagon-wheel-watusi said: "They're referring to the 2013 Menier Chocolate Factory production, right? Is this confirmation that it's pretty much the same set & production as Menier but with an American cast? I really liked the Menier production, but I don't feel like I need to see it again (even with the star wattage)."

Yep! Essentially the same production, some small differences in delivery and a few additional set pieces, but overall it was in the same vein.  Though I'm not sure how different the Boston production was and if any of the changes here actually stemmed from that production.  If you've already seen the Menier production I'd say the main draw is just seeing these actors take on the roles of the characters, as I do find their performances were differentiated enough to make it worth seeing (and also I'd say they read younger as a whole, so I think the second act works better for them).

Videos