News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread- Page 10

Radcliffe, Groff, and Mendez star in MERRILY - Reviews & News Thread

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#225Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/25/22 at 11:19pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "because the show has never worked and if you have the oppritunity to test it out on a smaller scale with a non-profit before dropping like 15 million dollars on a Broadway run, thats the smart idea"

Yes. And we know it could play ~4 solid months on Broadway. But the key to longevity after that is that the production has to be great, and get good reviews & WOM. Easier said than done. The NYTW production ensures they have time to work out some of the problems and hone it in a less pressured environment than Broadway.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#226Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 12:03am

A friend told me NYTW held the lottery for the first 2 previews in November a week ago (entries closed Sept 19th)? Obviously I missed it but it just seemed odd how they held the lottery two months early. Does anyone know why they may have done this? Having the lottery a day or two or even a week before the previews would have made more sense to me.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#227Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 12:12am

I assumed it was scheduled before tickets went on sale so that those who didn't win could plan to buy full-priced tickets for another performance. Once tickets go on sale, that option will disappear. They were originally supposed to go on sale 9/21, so maybe 9/19 was with that in mind, and they kept that date even though the they moved it to 10/3.

Updated On: 9/26/22 at 12:12 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#228Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 12:16am

Ah that makes sense! Thank you TaffyDavenport!!!

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#229Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 1:22pm

inception said: "I don't understand why, if they want to take this to Broadway, they don't just take it to Broadway with those stars?"

Because opening on Broadway cold worked so well in 1981.

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#230Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 2:29pm

TaffyDavenport said: "I assumed it was scheduled before tickets went on sale so that those who didn't win could plan to buy full-priced tickets for another performance. Once tickets go on sale, that option will disappear. They were originally supposed to go on sale 9/21, so maybe 9/19 was with that in mind, and they kept that date even though the they moved it to 10/3."

I won the lottery winner for the November 21 show, and I was pretty bemused when it dawned on me the performance wasn't for two months. 

That said, as the parent to a small child, it would be a lot easier to line up a babysitter, if more shows pulled their lottery with that much lead time. There's some upside to that unusual lottery strategy. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#231Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 2:56pm

halfhourcheckwithmerman said: "inception said: "I don't understand why, if they want to take this to Broadway, they don't just take it to Broadway with those stars?"

"

Yes but their point of course was that, unlike in 1981 l, they have some genuine name(s) - Radcliffe and Groff. And unlike in 1981 it’s a known property now including potentially this specific production. I guess that doesn’t make it a sure bet of course but the prospects for this production are a much surer bet than the original. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

hearthemsing22
#232Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 6:16pm

Some shows just decide to open off Broadway even with big names. A few years ago at The Public Theater, they had a cast of John Krasinski, Claire Danes and Hank Azaria. Why did that not transfer or open cold on Broadway? Because sometimes even with big names, they choose to have it at a smaller venue. Dry Powder never went to Broadway. Sometimes they just decide to do that. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#233Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 6:26pm

halfhourcheckwithmerman said: "inception said: "I don't understand why, if they want to take this to Broadway, they don't just take it to Broadway with those stars?"

"

This is a pretty different situation.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#234Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 8:53pm

Opening Off-Broadway helps build up word of mouth, and will probably help convince more producers to put their money up for the show. 

Even with a great cast there is no way to know how this transfer will be received over here.

I remember people saying the same thing about The Publics production of Into the Woods in the park a few years back. 
Super popular London staging, great A list cast, and it just did quite land here they way I think they hoped it would. 

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#235Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/26/22 at 9:57pm

TotallyEffed said: "This is a pretty different situation."

I know, I know :) 

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#236Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 9:26am

Previously announced stars Daniel Radcliffe, Lindsay Mendez, and Jonathan Groff will be joined by Sherz Aletaha (Man of La Mancha) as Scotty/Mrs. Spencer/Auditionee, Krystal Joy Brown (Hamilton) as Gussie, Katie Rose Clarke (Wicked) as Beth, Leana Rae Concepcion (Comfort Women) as Newscaster/Waitress/Auditionee, Carter Harris (Only Murders in the Building) and Colin Keane (Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin) alternating as Frank Jr., Corey Mach (Kinky Boots) as Tyler/Make-Up Artist, Talia Robinson (Dear Evan Hansen) as Meg, Reg Rogers (Tootsie) as Joe, Jamila Sabares-Klemm (Baby) as Dory/Evelyn, Brian Sears (The Book of Mormon) as Photographer/Bunker, Christian Strange (The Butcher Boy) as RU/Newscaster/Reverend, Vishal Vaidya (Love Life) as Jerome, Natalie Wachen (RENT) as KT, and Jacob Keith Watson (Carousel) as Terry/Mr. Spencer.   Rounding out the company as swings will be Morgan Kirner (Hello, Dolly!), Amanda Rose (Dear Jane), Evan Alexander Smith (Little Shop of Horrors), and Koray Tarhan (A Christmas Carol).

chrishuyen
#237Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 9:35am

interesting that they have a Frank Jr., dont most productions cut out that role now?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#238Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 10:11am

I guess they have the $$$ to cast Frank Jr.

I’m not too familiar with Katie Rose Clarke but looking forward to hopefully listen to her sing “Not a Day Goes By” !!!!! That song always gets me teary eyed.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#239Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 12:29pm

Katie Rose Clarke will be an incredible Beth! This just gets more and more exciting.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Ravenclaw
#240Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 4:40pm

chrishuyen said: "interesting that they have a Frank Jr., dont most productions cut out that role now?"

Every production I've seen (about 5 or 6 at this point) has had a Frank Jr.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#241Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 4:49pm

Out of curiosity does anyone have any thoughts on the 2012 Merrily production at Encores! vs the London revival/this production? Particularly excluding the actors, who I think it would be fair to say were probably better in NYC? A good Mary especially if I recall (though feel free to explain why if not).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#242Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 4:49pm

So question... I've never been to NYTW and would love to see this production if possible.  How easy is it to get to the theatre from Times Square area?  Cab? Is it safe to walk?  Been to NYC lots of times, just never been there before.  Thanks

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#243Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 4:58pm

tthomas76 said: "So question... I've never been to NYTW and would love to see this production if possible. How easy is it to get to the theatre from Times Square area? Cab? Is it safe to walk? Been to NYC lots of times, just never been there before. Thanks"

It's safe to walk, but it would be a long walk, an hour at least. You could easily hop on the subway or take a 15-20 minute Uber or cab.

52889j
#244Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 5:33pm

tthomas76 said: "So question... I've never been to NYTW and would love to see this production if possible. How easy is it to get to the theatre from Times Square area? Cab? Is it safe to walk? Been to NYC lots of times, just never been there before. Thanks"

Take the F from Bryant Park to 2nd Avenue or the RW from Times Square to 8th St NYU. Very easy.

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#245Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 5:38pm

Awesome, thanks! 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#246Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 9/29/22 at 6:48pm

If you have the time and the energy, it’s an enjoyable walk down Broadway to that area. I’m a fast walker so I can usually do it in 45 minutes. Probably an hour if I’m taking in the sights. 

Bonkers
#247Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 10/3/22 at 6:21pm

Was anyone able to get tickets for this show today? I logged in at the exact time it was released and still couldn't get a single ticket for any showing Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW 

Please let me know if anyone was able to get extra tickets!

Thank you in advance!

BoringBoredBoard40
#248Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 10/3/22 at 7:16pm

Updated On: 10/4/22 at 07:16 PM

FlightyTemptressAdventure
#249Confirmed: Radcliffe to lead MERRILY revival at NYTW
Posted: 10/3/22 at 11:17pm

I have followed these message boards for years, but never created an account until now, because I have to know if anyone has an extra ticket for January 20 or 21?

I took time off work to fly to NYC just for this show, and was in there within 5 seconds of the tickets going on sale and was number 2,977 in line or something outrageous. Needless to say, by the time my spot in the queue was up, every single performance was completely sold out. 

Please send me a message or lead if you have one, otherwise I'll cancel my trip and be jealous of and happy for all of you from afar. 

Updated On: 10/3/22 at 11:17 PM

Videos