News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Roger Rees

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#25Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 6:58am

So those people who hinted there was some scandal attached to his departure from The Visit- I hope you're feeling suitable chastened.

A very very talented- he will be missed.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#26Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 7:20am

My god. What a horrible ending for a sudden exit to a show! Most importantly, my heart and prayers go out to his family and friends. RIP, Roger

wexy
#27Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 7:41am

Rest In Peace. Last saw him in 'The Winslow Boy.'  Great actor.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#28Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 7:42am

The world has lost a great talent.

His friends and family have lost someone very, very special.

I'm heartbroken.

RIP, dear man.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 7:51am

Everyone else has said it more eloquently than I could

Saw him in The Visit, The AAdams Family & The Winslow Boy. He was adept at comedy with Robin Hood which I have and will have to watch again now. Knew he was sick but not this bad. Whatever it was it was quick and he was surrounded by loved ones.

R.I.P. We have lost a great one . He was a Broadway luminary whose name was not that well known by many but his loss is a big one.

Poster Emeritus

aj88
#30Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:02am

Truly a tremendous loss of an equally tremendous talent.

When I was in college, my acting teacher had struck up an acquaintance with him and he graciously offered to give a telephone conference with our acting class. What was originally planned to be about a half hour turned into a little over an hour.

So sad to hear this news.

wonkit
#31Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:10am

I last saw him in THE WINSLOW BOY, and could not take my eyes off him whenever he was on stage. Magnificent actor. May he rest in peace.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#32Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:19am

Hopefully, we will not have another debate about dimming marquees. The only thing I want to know is when it will happen.

Poster Emeritus

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#33Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:23am

Such sad news to wake up to. I never had the opportunity to see him on stage, but loved his work on TV and film. My heart goes out to his husband and to the rest of his family. May they have some comfort in knowing that he left such a fine body of work behind and touched so many people. RIP.

Maggie-the-schnoodle

KathyNYC2
#34Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:26am

My heart goes out to his family and friends. My daughter had the opportunity to work with him and so I met him a few times and he was indeed a very lovely and special human being. A great loss...and a sad day.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#35Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:49am

He and Rick shared a love for the ages.   The New Yorker: Backstory

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#36Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 9:23am

I saw him once at the Broadway Flea Market. Just seeing the gracious time he took with each of his fans was so admirable.

R.I.P. Roger. You will be deeply missed.

LarryD2
#37Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 9:51am

Hard to believe that two months ago he was onstage giving a lovely performance and now he's gone. But that's the way life works sometimes.

RIP to a man of rare character, charm, intelligence, and grace. You will be missed.

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#38Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:17am

Very sad, he was a fantastic actor and special person. RIP.

Is there any footage around of him getting the Best Actor Tony for Nicholas Nickleby?

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#39Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:30am

Oh my God. He must have known he was sick during the run of The Visit. Heaven rest him now.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#40Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:46am

What do you say when an actor who has given some of your favorite performances ever dies? Obviously the sadness I feel is nothing compared to that of his husband and family and friends.

I wish everyone could see the wonder that was his deep, humanistic performance in the marathon that was Nicholas Nickelby. 

And to have gone from that to so many other great performances, from Cheers to Stoppard to Beckett to Chekhov and then to musicals.

It breaks my heart that I will not see him on stage again.

Roger Rees

Roger Rees

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#41Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:46am

Thank you for sharing the New Yorker profile, NYadgal!

I'm quite sad about the loss of Roger, who I only had the pleasure of seeing once on stage, but so much appreciate his contributions to theater.  I will be especially appreciating his wonderful performance on The Visit cast recording today.

May he rest in peace, and condolences to his loved ones and friends.     

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#42Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 10:53am

Is there any footage around of him getting the Best Actor Tony for Nicholas Nickleby?

He unfortunately couldn't make it to the Tonys that night as he was filming in Bangkok.

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#43Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 11:12am

May he rest in peace.  I saw him in what was to be one of his last performances ever (The Visit).  The spec that was milling around was not nice, we know the truth now.  May his family and close ones find comfort in knowing he touched so many people with his talents.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#44Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 11:17am

This saddens me deeply, he is gone far too soon. I had the great pleasure of seeing on stage several times at the RSC and in New York. Among them was an amazing performance as Malcolm in "Macbeth" and the title role in "Nicholas Nickleby" both in London and NYC.

One of my fondest theatre memories happened during the performance of "Nicholas Nickleby" in New York. During the intervals the actors strolled through the audience, talking to them. During the first interval I struck up a conversation with him. We were so engrossed in talking he hadn't noticed the act was about to begin. Another actor came forward to the edge of the stage and called out to him. He quickly said goodbye and ran up the aisle, jumped on stage and the act began immediately.  He returned to me after each act and we continued our conversation. When he came back to Broadway in "Indiscretions" I actually waited at the stage door to say hi (I never stage door). He actually remembered me and he took me out for an after show drink.

He was an amazing actor and an even nicer person and he will be missed.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#45Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 11:19am

A friend texted me at 1:00am with the news. I was floored. Had just finished listening to THE VISIT.  I was lucky enough to be in his company on a number of occasions and have a few very nice conversations with him. May he rest in peace.

Just give the world Love.

fredric47
#46Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 11:47am

I am so ashamed. I thought that the reason Roger Rees left "The Visit" was that the show wasn't doing well at the box office; and he knew it was destined to close. I never read that it was due to an unexpected illness.

What I admired most about Roger Rees was that he was open about his sexual orientation. While I saw him on stage in "A Man of No Importance," "Indiscretions," and "End of the Day," I don't remember his performances from those three productions as being exceptional; but I do remember his work on "Cheers" as Robin Colcord, in which he was totally convincing as a cad.

I am impressed by the affectionate comments made by members of the Broadway community as to what Roger Rees meant to them. What a wonderful legacy he leaves behind. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#47Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 12:04pm

He used to come into one of the restaurants I worked at with Bebe and he was always friendly and conversational. RIP

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#48Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 12:35pm

So glad I got to see him in The Visit, very sad news 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

saulssweetie
#49Roger Rees
Posted: 7/11/15 at 12:42pm

This news absolutely breaks my heart. I never got to see him on stage which is something I will always regret. But I was a huge fan of his TV and film work. Season 8 of Cheers is my favorite just because his character was hilarious. He is gone far too soon and will be greatly missed. My prayers to his husband and family. 

Videos