News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?- Page 2

Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#25Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/4/15 at 2:59pm

http://www.tonyawards.com/pdf/2015_Tony_Rules_and_Regulations.pdf 

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 7/4/15 at 02:59 PM

AEA AGMA SM
#26Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/4/15 at 3:14pm

"Is that true? Are you saying that's a Tony eligibility rule? I guess I can't think of a case when a show has been revived less than three years from the original, or even another revival, but it surprises me that they'd have a rule like that. It seems more just like common sense, that producers SHOULDN'T revive a show a year after the original. Theoretically, if some other producer foolishly decided they wanted to do a revival of The Last Ship this fall with new direction, design, etc. wouldn't that be considered an eligible revival? "

In the unlikely event that something like you described happened with The Last Ship (or any show), the producers could always petition to be considered.  But, that's such a far-fetched scenario to imagine any producers picking up the rights and re-opening an entirely new production in such a short time span that there's no reason to even address it until it happens.

I've assumed the rule regarding how much time has to pass between closing of one production and the opening of the revival was put in place to deal with tours that are doing "return engagements" (Hair and Fela!, for two recent examples), and shows that close for a short period to do a major re-tooling and overhaul of the show and then re-open in the same season they close (there were rumors that the producers of The Scarlet Pimpernel wanted to be considered as a revival when they closed at the Minskoff in May of 1999 and then re-opened that fall at the Neil Simon).

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#27Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/4/15 at 3:19pm

Not sure how I feel about this- It is a great score, one of the best contemporary scores IMO, but it still feels too recent revive it. But her, if the production is great and has something new and innovative to bring to the piece, then I'm all for it. 

FindingNamo
#28Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/4/15 at 3:25pm

I would like to invest.  How do I contact Dawn Davenport?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

AngusN
#29Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/4/15 at 3:48pm

I'd be really interested to see a revival. I loved the score, and adored the UK tour version of the musical. However, I hated the original Broadway production. I felt the overly stylised presentation betrayed the brutal honesty of the show's protagonists. 

Ranger Tom
#30Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/4/15 at 4:24pm

Not interested.  Overrated.  Pop culture blah.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#31Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 1:13pm

@AEA

"I've assumed the rule regarding how much time has to pass between closing of one production and the opening of the revival was put in place to deal with tours that are doing "return engagements" (Hair and Fela!, for two recent examples)"

But those "return engagements" (like Hair, Fela!, Christmas Story, Elf, etc.) were the exact same production that had just played on Broadway, so they wouldn't have been eligible for best revival regardless of the time gap. Cabaret was ineligible for best revival last year for the same reason. 

The understand that the scenario I proposed regarding The Last Ship was wildly improbable, but that was my point. If that hypothetical situation WERE to come to pass, I still don't see how there could be grounds to disqualify if it truly were a DIFFERENT production of the show. 

AEA AGMA SM
#32Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 1:26pm

Cabaret was eligible for Best Revival. Production elements and Alan Cumming were not.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Final-2014-Tony-Awards-Eligibility-from-LADY-DAY-to-CABARET-20140425

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#33Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 1:33pm

Oh, I stand corrected. Sorry about that. 

Still, I have to say I find it very odd that it WAS eligible. Why would it be eligible for Best Revival if the staging, direction, design, etc. was all the same as it was before? 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#34Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 1:50pm

JBroadway, because replication (or not) is not a part of the definition of an eligible revival. Note that there is no award for revival of a performance, set, costumes etc. Just for revival of a show.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#35Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 1:53pm

The "Cabaret" decision was a bit of an outlier, that situation presents itself only rarely. Roundabout wanted it eligible, and the argument I believe, was that there was precedent with a previous revival of "A Chorus Line" using the same design/choreo/etc as the original and being eligible. Honestly, I think they just said yes b/c they assumed it had an extremely small chance of getting in to the category (given the # of musical revivals, a fourth nominee could only get in as a result of a tie, and its competitors were all well liked and going to get votes).

The only thing different about it was the performances. Which were eligible, except for Alan (interesting note: if Cumming had lost his original acting bid as the Emcee, he would have been eligible for a second nomination for the role).

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#36Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 2:54pm

MayAudra, you are imagining the process. There was no "they" involved: the show was manifestly eligible for best revival and there was no deliberation. Indeed, were there adecision in violation of the rules, it would have been actionable.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#37Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 3:03pm

"Spring Awakening without that hobbit Rachel Berry?!! Great! I'm in!"

You're trying too hard to appear new.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#38Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 3:13pm

I'll totally acknowledge that you're correct about the rules of eligibility. At this point I'm disagreeing with the principal of the thing. To me it's silly that productions with the same direction, design, etc. could be allowed to be eligible for best revival more than once. To me, that's on par with allowing a still-running show to be eligible for the Tonys again. Like if next year they randomly decided to consider Chicago eligible for best revival again. Obviously I know it's not LITERALLY the same thing, since the Tonys go off of opening dates when they consider season eligibility, but from an awards-giving perspective, what's the difference? In both cases they'd be allowing a production which has already had its shot at the award, to be nominated again. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#39Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 3:18pm

"(interesting note: if Cumming had lost his original acting bid as the Emcee, he would have been eligible for a second nomination for the role)."

Is this true? I always thought once a performer is nominated for a Tony, they aren't again eligible to be nominated for the same role in a 'return engagement' of the same production. The only example I can think of to back this up might be Cathy Rigby in Peter Pan; she was nominated the first time she played the role on Broadway, but not in either of the three return Broadway engagements (though the production itself was nominated twice for Best Revival)

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

jimmycurry01
#40Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 3:51pm

"I know from an insider friend. The contracts will be signed very soon"

Is that the same insider friend that told you that the Lyric Opera production of Carousel was definitely transferring this fall? 

Whilethismaybetrue,  no announcement has been made. There is only sepculstion. Besides, you are the biggest liar here. Nobody will ever believe you. Why don't you try sticking to posting known facts for a while. Try building up a little credibility before before posting hearsay. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#41Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 5:05pm

That production really was, I promise!! Things fell through at the last second 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#42Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 6:46pm

But in this case announcements have been made, the casting call is out, they are having auditions, they are rehearsing in August and a Theatre will be named very soon.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#43Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 6:59pm

"But in this case announcements have been made, the casting call is out, they are having auditions, they are rehearsing in August and a Theatre will be named very soon."

And as the saying goes (updated for inflation) that and $2.75 will get you on the subway. 

And by the way, no "announcements have been made." It doesn't cost much to put up a casting notice. We should have a better idea within 48 hours, because they either do, or do not,have a theatre, and either will or will not announce it in the ext couple of days. 

Many aspire, few achieve.

jimmycurry01
#44Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 7:49pm

"That production really was, I promise!! Things fell through at the last second "

No, it wasn't,  and no things didn't. You lie... about almost everything. So, why would anyone belive you now? 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#45Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 7:51pm

I did not lie, they were about to go into the lyric, but decided to wait 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#46Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 9:04pm

"You're trying too hard to appear new."

HA

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#47Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 9:44pm

A million times UGH. I also thought it was too soon for a Color Purple revival, but at least I can tolerate that show. I have zero love for Spring Awakening- but I do feel that this production would be more suited to off-Broadway, a la Avenue Q or RENT.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#48Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 11:37pm

You can't do a musical with 25 in the cast and a band off-broadway commercially.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#49Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?
Posted: 7/5/15 at 11:41pm

This should be done at a non-profit theatre.

Videos