News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season- Page 16

TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#375TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 2:15pm

GoldenGiggery said: "This show REALLY needs to do something drastic, and quickly, to address these preview sales. I'm actually very excited for this, but the sell through for even the first week, is atrociously low.

There needs to be a box office rush/flash sale of some sort, to amp up sales, or this cast is going to be playing to some near non-existent crowds by preview #3.
"

Not even the film (which only came out a few years ago) did well. This will flop and it will flop hard. This is an esoteric subject that only a handful of gay men care about, let's just be honest. Putting it in the Palace was just a further kiss of death.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#376TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 2:20pm

Yeah, I really don't understand the Palace of it all. Make it small and scrappy...or at least Almeida-sized.

And I doubt sales would have fared much better with Rannells.

Gone by MLK Day in time for a new Palace tenant this spring?

Updated On: 10/14/24 at 02:20 PM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#377TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 2:43pm

Will it do better than Lempicka?

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#378TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 2:51pm

inception said: "Will it do better than Lempicka?"

What's the capitalization? LEMPICKA cost $19.5 million but I assume TAMMY FAYE is a bit larger in both capitalization and weekly running cost.

FAYE probably has a much better outlook for future productions after Broadway simply because of the subject matter and presence of Elton John...a tour (Equity or non), regional & community licensing, etc.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#379TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 2:55pm

Tammy Faye is capitalized at $25 million, per Broadway Journal.

I don’t think this will get trashed the way Lempicka was… but, of course, I could be wrong. Initial reception from the Almeida run was quite positive. 

Oh look, a bibu!

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#380TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 3:02pm

Or maybe it might actually be good?

People always bitch and complain about revivals being done over and over, that cheap touring revivals come in and take up a Broadway house, that a show isn't 'Broadway Quality', that shows are stunt cast with D-list names that a handful of people have heard of, that Broadway isn't what it used to be  blah blah blah

And that's what you deserve.

Here is a brand new musical, that you clearly know nothing about, written and created by people with a wealth of knowledge, talent, with success, led by an amazing talented cast, and you write ot off because you ignorantly think only a few gays wll be interested. What about people who remember Jim and Tammy when they were on tv, people who followed the scandal closrely, or maybe, people who actually like good writing and great performances? People that are open minded and actually want to learn about something new, instead of just seeing their favourite Ru-Girl in a drag show. What about people who want to be entertained and uplifted? Isn't that what people pay a lot of money for?

How about actually seeing something and having an informed opinion on it, instead of just lisping about it flopping before the first preview. If it does bomb, then so be it, but if it does it will be because of miserable gits like you. And people wonder why we can't have nice things!

*steps off the soapbox*

TotallyEffed
#381TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 3:11pm

I never said it would be bad and I already have tickets. I’m just saying that it will flop.

TotallyEffed
#382TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 3:21pm

Updated On: 10/14/24 at 03:21 PM

TotallyEffed
Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#384TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 3:32pm

TBFL said: "Or maybe it might actually be good?

People always bitch and complain about revivals being done over and over, that cheap touring revivals come in and take up a Broadway house, that a show isn't 'Broadway Quality', that shows are stunt cast with D-list names that a handful of people have heard of, that Broadway isn't what it used to be blah blah blah

And that's what you deserve.

Here is a brand new musical, that you clearly know nothing about, written and created by people with a wealth of knowledge, talent, with success, led by an amazing talented cast, and you write ot off because you ignorantly think only a few gays wll be interested. What about people who remember Jim and Tammy when they were on tv, people who followed the scandal closrely, or maybe, people who actually like good writing and great performances? People that are open minded and actually want to learn about something new, instead of just seeing their favourite Ru-Girl in a drag show. What about people who want to be entertained and uplifted? Isn't that what people pay a lot of money for?

How about actually seeing something and having an informed opinion on it, instead of just lisping about it flopping before the first preview. If it does bomb, then so be it, but if it does it will be because of miserable gits like you. And people wonder why we can't have nice things!

*steps off the soapbox*
"

Thank You !

Non sibi sed patriae

binau Profile Photo
binau
#385TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 3:38pm

I think the score for Lempicka is a hundred times better than Tammy Faye. I saw Tammy Faye in London and I did enjoy myself and was raving about the lead performance - but in the same season as Audra McDonald, Nicole S, Sutton Foster, Idina Menzel and others...I think it might be overshadowed. And I agree the Palace is not the right theatre for this. I do recommend going and yes it's annoying when the vultures come out to feed (I don't think they are in this case) but we have to be honest with ourselves about what is happening here. Nothing about the show - from the theatre choice, to lack of real stars, to the advanced sales, to the competition scream that this show is going to be a success. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/14/24 at 03:38 PM

TotallyEffed
#386TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 3:47pm

binau said: "I think the score for Lempicka is a hundred times better than Tammy Faye. I saw Tammy Faye in London and I did enjoy myself and was raving about the lead performance - but in the same season as Audra McDonald, Nicole S, Sutton Foster, Idina Menzel and others...I think it might be overshadowed. And I agree the Palace is not the right theatre for this. I do recommend going and yes it's annoying when the vultures come out to feed (I don't think they are in this case) but we have to be honest with ourselves about what is happening here. Nothing about the show - from the theatre choice, to lack of real stars, to the advanced sales, to the competition scream that this show is going to be a success."

Thank you for further explaining my point in a levelheaded head way, binau. Not sure the name calling above was necessary.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#387TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 3:55pm

Quality and sales potential are not tied to each other (USUALLY).

This is simply a conversation about economics.

The fact of the matter is this is an uphill climb based on the budget, the relative obscurity of the IP, Elton John's mixed track record, and the scary climate for massive Broadway musicals right now.

Could it surprise and overperform, like GATSBY and BEETLEJUICE? Sure! But that can't be counted on. If it does close early, a new show will come along that employs a comparable amount of people.

bway1430
#388TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 5:01pm

TotallyEffed said: "I never said it would be bad and I already have tickets. I’m just saying that it will flop."

Say it all you want, but what a pointless and ridiculous post.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#389TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 5:52pm

TotallyEffed said: "binau said: "I think the score for Lempicka is a hundred times better than Tammy Faye. I saw Tammy Faye in London and I did enjoy myself and was raving about the lead performance - but in the same season as Audra McDonald, Nicole S, Sutton Foster, Idina Menzel and others...I think it might be overshadowed. And I agree the Palace is not the right theatre for this. I do recommend going and yes it's annoying when the vultures come out to feed (I don't think they are in this case) but we have to be honest with ourselves about what is happening here. Nothing about the show - from the theatre choice, to lack of real stars, to the advanced sales, to the competition scream that this show is going to be a success."

Thank you for further explaining my point in a levelheaded head way, binau. Not sure the name calling above was necessary.
"

Please point out where someone called you a name. 

TotallyEffed
#390TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 5:55pm

I was called a miserable git lol

Matt Rogers
#391TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 6:02pm

bway1430 said: "TotallyEffed said: "I never said it would be bad and I already have tickets. I’m just saying that it will flop."

Say it all you want, but what a pointless and ridiculous post.”

Apparently he has some sort of crystal ball but he doesn’t realize it has a crack in it. He discussed the film as well. Not sure he knows or remembers that Jessica Chastain won an Oscar for it.  So take that for whatever it is worth. 

Maybe he’s right and it will be a flop but maybe he’s wrong and it will be a hit. It’s pretty early on to be making such definitive prognostications unless your name is Nostradamus. 

Annnnnnyway………

Updated On: 10/14/24 at 06:02 PM

Matt Rogers
#392TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 6:07pm

TotallyEffed said: "I was called a miserable git lol"

So you were. Missed that. Apologies. 

TotallyEffed
#393TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 6:21pm

Her winning an Oscar has nothing to do with ticket sales for this Broadway musical. As other users have mentioned before and after my post, the sales are not good and the show is in a barn. It is likely to flop just like Lempicka was clearly a flop before it even started previews. I’m not sure how this makes me miserable or some kind of villain. I certainly don’t want the show to flop and I hope it’s good. But I’ll be very shocked if it recoups. That’s my opinion and I’m allowed to express it. Sheesh.

Matt Rogers
#394TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 6:27pm

TotallyEffed said: "Her winning an Oscar has nothing to do with ticket sales for this Broadway musical. As otherusers have mentioned before and after my post, the sales are not good and the show is in a barn. It is likely to flop just like Lempickawas clearly a flop before it even started previews. I’m not surehow this makes me miserable or some kind of villain. I certainly don’t want the show to flop and I hope it’s good. But I’ll be very shocked if it recoups.That’smy opinion and I’m allowed to express it. Sheesh."

According to many London critics, the show IS good. Why would it be transferring here otherwise? I don’t know who called you a villain but whatever the case, maybe we let it play a couple of previews before we declare the show a flop. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#395TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 7:51pm

Previews haven’t begun, no word of mouth, Elton hasn’t done press, there  are a lot of factors still at play. 

Fordham2015
#396TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/14/24 at 7:57pm

Re Elton not doing press, he's recovering from an eye infection. He visited the cast in rehearsal and has promoted both this show and Devil Wears Prada on Instagram.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#397TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/15/24 at 1:08am

Having seen this in UK, the Borle and Ceveris casting may have created the trifecta this show needs and deserves.  Evans as Billy Graham could be fantastic too.  The rest of the players are more ensemble, with name,  and will fill well enough.

Bwaygurl2
#398TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/15/24 at 1:47am

Tammy Faye with Chastain flopped. That's a fact. This show which got great reviews in London will probably be one of the 70% of Broadway shows that flop. This conversation comes up here every time someone (usually correctly) predicts a show will flop. We discuss things here. We are not this show's PR. I wish everyone involved the best and hope it runs years.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#399TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
Posted: 10/15/24 at 2:48am

I just think what is happening is that some people feel a bit emotionally attached to the show and don't like that people are being so negative - but this is a message board, especially this message board of all places where we don't up-vote and filter up the positive comments like reddit. Don't worry this board will have zero impact on the success or failure of Tammy Faye - from what I can see we are a niche group of people not the general population (if Reddit word of mouth is negative, it will be much more damaging for the show). Also, I do believe the truth is more important than anyone's emotions. Everyone knows that all of the reasons given for this show's predicted failure are true it's why instead of actually responding directly to the argument you'd rather try and emotionally shut down the person saying them. There is no hiding from the Palace, no stars, a weak advance etc. it's the cold hard truth. 

We've been on this train and cycle time and time again, and I gave up being offended at people predicting Broadway failure of my favourite shows a long time ago because to steal the words of Frank Rich and bastardise them - AS we all should probably have learned by now, to be a [Broadway theatre] fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals. There are so many flops (see: Here Lies Love, Lempicka), so many times critics don't seem to enjoy the shows you like (see: Company Revival), so many times people can't see what you can in performs (e.g. Bernadette in Follies or Katrina Lenk in Company). The only thing you can rely on is your own opinion, your own experience and your independent mind. If you enjoy art or are excited by art be strong and don't care what others think. Sometimes I enjoy having the last laugh - such as gushing over 'Sunset' for a year and having to defend the show from vultures who had never even seen it and predict the next 'Cabaret' only to appear to resonate when finally landed. 

Many times things are indeed the disaster that was predicted - or not predicted and still fail. 

"That's life"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGs0hxyp2I

The only time it starts to bother me is when rather than be based on reality people seem to have a hatred towards the show or performers that appears to be driving them. For example, I think many on this board crossed a line with Ben Platt’s recent palace tour. I’ve never seen someone here who has the most crazed fans AND haters. It was a circus. 

That is not what is happening in this thread. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/15/24 at 02:48 AM

Latest Posts

Videos