News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 26

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#62574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:08pm

JFC those three performances gave me everything i didn’t even know i needed.

BCfitasafiddle
#62674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

All 6 of these talents. Wow. What a gift. 

Also, Kerry Butler sobbing. Me too, girl.

bwayobsessed
#62774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Audra and Brian singing that song will never not be perfect and life affirming

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#62874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

There are legitimately no words to describe that performance from Audra and Stokes. They sounded INCREDIBLE. That is one of the best vocal performances that has ever been performed on the Tony Awards, and it's been 23 years since they were in the show. I am legitimately shook.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#62974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:09pm

Big weekend for my man Bill Sherman... his & Juliet reopened Friday in London, and now his Freestyle Love Supreme gets to close the Tonys.

Oh look, a bibu!

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#63074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:09pm

I'm gonna need that Actor's Fund Ragtime reunion concert to get rescheduled ASAP.

broadfan327
#63174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:10pm

Can they do this format next year?  I know this will be an unpopular opinion because the hard working artists who win are not featured during the main telecast.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#63274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Those four duo performances were stunning!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#63374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Jordan Levinson said: "Moulin Rouge!wins BestMickey Mouse Musical.Hadestownis still the last legit winner for Best Musical in my mind.

Bring on 2022!
"

“Six” said come outside, she wanna fight you. Definitely winning next year. Though I expected JLP, Moulin Rouge still deserved it considering there were 3 nominees 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 9/26/21 at 11:10 PM

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#63474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

The first half of the program that was on Paramount Plus was so much better than the second half on CBS. Congratulations to the Inheritance and Moulin Rouge.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#63574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:11pm

SouthernCakes said: "Strange they announced Tveit as a winner but didn’t show us him winning? Watching on the East Coast."

I'm on the east coast, I saw him win and his speech. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

northlandfan
#63674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:12pm

Thank you so much for providing that information. I would imagine the people that paid $1400 US to go to the Winter Garden tonight for the show would be so disappointed thinking they were going to be seeing live versions of these songs performed at the Winter Garden.. I’m wondering if it was well known information prior to tonight so that people were aware before shelling out big bucks!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#63774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:15pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "Jordan Levinson said: "Moulin Rouge!wins BestMickey Mouse Musical.Hadestownis still the last legit winner for Best Musical in my mind.

Bring on 2022!
"

“Six” said come outside, she wanna fight you.
"

What do you mean? SIX is eligible next year.

Oh look, a bibu!

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#63874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:15pm

How crazy to see Peter Wright honored in the memoriam, and he died on that very stage last year.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#63974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:16pm

Aaron Tveit's speech was wonderful and heartwarming. Congratulations to ALL the winners! And those duets were EVERYTHING! 

That was an amazing Tonys. It took 27 months but damn, it was WORTH THE WAIT!!!!!! 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#64074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:17pm

Jordan Levinson said: "YvanEhtNioj said: "Jordan Levinson said: "Moulin Rouge!wins BestMickey Mouse Musical.Hadestownis still the last legit winner for Best Musical in my mind.

Bring on 2022!
"

“Six” said come outside, she wanna fight you.
"

What do you mean?SIXis eligible next year.
"

lol I know. There were literally only 3 options this year, but I don’t think that means Moulin Rouge! Isn’t deserving of the win as you were suggesting 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 9/26/21 at 11:17 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#64174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:18pm

An incredible night. Broadway is indeed back!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#64274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

What a great closing from FLS!

Good night everyone!!! Broadway is back (for what seems like the eleventy billionth time)!

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano
#64374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

I agree. That was all around one of the best Tony Award shows we’ve had in years.

Congrats to all who took home trophy’s and also to all those who didn’t.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#64474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

As a big fan of both Moulin Rouge and The Inheritance, I was thrilled with all their wins tonight. I truly didn’t expect it given the mixed reactions both received. I know they have a lot of detractors, but both greatly moved me emotionally. I live in Oklahoma and managed to see both twice (yes both parts of The Inheritance x 2). I know neither are perfect, but they rank in my top experiences as an audience member on Broadway.

Having said that, it is clear that Broadway needs more diversity including those who are determining what voices get to tell their stories on Broadway, the creative teams, and the voting body.

Was also thrilled for Mary-Louise Parker. What a great performance.

And Kristin & Idina made me sob…

Goodnight all…

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#64574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:21pm

Wait, after the powerhouse reunion of Audra McDonald and Brian Stokes Mitchell to close this amazing evening...rapping improv recap? Didn't Lin already do this already one year when he wrote James Corden or NPH a recap song? 

Let's just forget those last four minutes and focus on an otherwise outstanding FOUR HOURS. I know everyone is bitching about something or other online, but I thoroughly enjoyed this gift of FOUR HOURS of Tony Awards entertainment tonight. When was the last time we got to see all the winners' acceptance speeches? And then get a full concert celebration of Broadway? In an intimate Broadway theatre?

Please let this be the future of the Tony Awards. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#64674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:27pm

Those duets were a masterpiece on every level. 

And let's mention that Stokes also sang The Impossible Dream. There was a time in the early days of Covid that he may well have thought singing again on a Broadway stage was an impossible dream. He's back; Broadway's back. Now let's pray that we can keep it. 

Jordan Catalano
#64774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:28pm

Yuuuuup. As far as the Tony Awards go - bigger isn’t always better. And I really do hope they keep the show performances how they did them tonight - filmed in their own theaters with all the sets and costumes that truly can highlight the show they’re trying to sell. The argument that it’s less exciting for those in the audience there is moot since it’s not “for” them and they’re much better for everyone watching at home.

SouthernCakes
#64874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:29pm

Yeah I’d say of the 3 Moulin deserved it. Timbers really delivered. Between that and Beetlejuice he really delivered.

Weird ceremony, happy to all the winners, and let’s look to the future! I think I feel worse for West Side Story that just, in the theater world, just never exisited.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#64974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:32pm

I thought Leslie did a strong job of hosting.He had the right amount of humility. You can tell Audra and Brian have a great fondness for one another. Brian is probably the nicest guy on Broadway.

Videos