News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...- Page 14

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

MOUSTACHA Profile Photo
MOUSTACHA
#325The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/4/15 at 3:09pm

"I wouldn't consider in any way , shape or form a Kelli win as some sort of "Tony pity award".   She would be a contender this or any year for her take on Ana."

I don't think a Kelli win would be a Pity award, but so much of the reasoning on this thread leans in that direction.  My point was that it should be judged objectively from, not comparatively to the past.  Going that direction only enforces the idea that she should win because she hasn't won one for past roles, i.e. a pity award.  To be clear: Her performance his year is certainly worthy of the nomination (and hypothetical win) in its own right.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#326The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/4/15 at 3:25pm

It would be fine if any of the 3 mentioned would win. Chita is a sentimental favorite and it would be more like a life achievement tony. Did not see King so cannot comment but she (Kelli)  deserves it for all her past work. Kristin is great in 20 th so glad I am not one who has to vote between them

Poster Emeritus

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#327The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/4/15 at 3:48pm

""Philly: How many voters voted for Kelli?"
 I dont know anyone who voted for Kelli. They all said Kristin lol"

You also don't know any Tony voters, so that's 0 for Kelli and 0 for Kristin.

nxt2bridges
_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#329The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/5/15 at 10:08am

"it still feels too close to call", in how that sentence from the NYT votes poll ends The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

I understand that they came very close in the poll, probably something like within 2-3 votes, something that could easily be reversed in the batch of the next 44 votes you ask.

We gotta count all the votes I guess.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#330The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/7/15 at 10:25pm

Here we go! Best wishes to all!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#331The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/7/15 at 10:41pm

All signs seemed to be pointing in Kelli's direction.

We shall know in a few minutes.

Poster Emeritus

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#332The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/7/15 at 10:43pm

I think it's Kelli now.

Updated On: 6/7/15 at 10:43 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#333The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/7/15 at 10:47pm

She did it.

Poster Emeritus

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#334The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/7/15 at 10:50pm

SHE F***ING DID IT

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#335The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/7/15 at 10:51pm

Reminiscent of when Chita won in 1984 over the superior Bernadette Peters. She was overdue too.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#336The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/7/15 at 10:52pm

Chita waited a much longer time than Kelli, though.

So happy for Kelli! 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#337The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/7/15 at 10:54pm

"Chita waited a much longer time than Kelli, though.
So happy for Kelli! "

The way these posters have been writing, you'd think Kelli was the unluckiest Tony nominee ever and had been waiting her whole life to win.

theatreguy12
#338The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 4:30am

Unfortunately for Kristin she was giving a tour de force performance, but was up against another actress who had been nominated numerous times but never won.  There seemed to be a lot of sentimentality for the latter.

It's quite possible the Tony voters were doing the same thing through their votes that the audience did when they jumped to their feet when her name was announced.

Was it for some amazing performance of Anna, or was it more jubilation that she finally won?

As for Miles, I thought Lucas blew her out of the water with her performance.  I'm shocked the youngster didn't take the Tony.

indytallguy
#339The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 6:38am

"As for Miles, I thought Lucas blew her out of the water with her performance.  I'm shocked the youngster didn't take the Tony.

I do think this is a case where Lucas and Kuhn may have split enough votes to help Miles take the win.  I would have strongly preferred either of the former to win, but Miles did give a performance that I found award-worthy.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#340The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 7:04am

It's quite possible the Tony voters were doing the same thing through their votes that the audience did when they jumped to their feet when her name was announced.

She won for sentimentality. The standing ovation she got pretty much proves that. Kelli Won but not for her king and I performance. 

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#341The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 8:13am

Oh Bilbo.  You just keep telling yourself that.  I guess it's impossible for you to fathom that people are capable of disagreeing with your personal taste, and they happened to like Kelli more than Kristin. But again, keep telling yourself what you need to in order for you to sleep at night.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#342The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 8:20am

I actually agree with Bilbo.

Kelli was far from the best Anna I've seen.

Cheno had the role of a lifetime and nailed it.

Still happy Kelli finally has a Tony, but she was far better in Piazza and Bridges. This does feel like a make-up award.

....but the world goes 'round

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#343The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 8:32am

I am still on cloud nine from her win and acceptance speech last night. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#344The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 8:33am

In the end, the competition is beside the point.

Kelli got the award because more Tony voters voted for her Mrs. Anna, which was filled with heart and soul and intelligence.

Sometimes that wins; sometimes flair and dazzle win. It's all show biz.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#345The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 8:45am

Friom this thread one might think it's exceptional that overdue-ness is a factor in award voting.

When in truth it's more the rule than the exception. 

Moreover, often the winner who gets honored for body of work ostensibly wins for a performance that isn't really impressive.

That's not the case with Kelli's Anna.

Updated On: 6/8/15 at 08:45 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#346The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 8:54am

"Friom this thread one might think it's exceptional that overdue-ness is a factor in award voting.
When in truth it's more the rule than the exception. 
Moreover, often the winner who gets honored for body of work ostensibly wins for a performance that isn't really impressive.
That's not the case with Kelli's Anna.
 "

Kelli was impressive. Just not as impressive as she's been in the past, and not as impressive as Cheno was this season.

But again, I'm happy she finally has a gong.

....but the world goes 'round

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#347The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 9:00am

She should have won for Bridges instead.

Updated On: 6/8/15 at 09:00 AM

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#348The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 9:01am

Totally agree, Taz!

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#349The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 9:13am

Oh Bilbo.  You just keep telling yourself that.  I guess it's impossible for you to fathom that people are capable of disagreeing with your personal taste, and they happened to like Kelli more than Kristin. But again, keep telling yourself what you need to in order for you to sleep at night

This has nothing to do with personal taste. I wanted Beth to win. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Don't get all huffy just cause some people don't agree with who won. Get over yourself. And for the record, I DO think Kelli deserved the award. Her and Kristin both did. All I'm pointing out is Kristin was being judged by the performance she gave this year, and Kelli was not. It's not a dig to Kelli, It's not like she has any control over the voting, so you can put your little Kelli flag back in your pocket. The one thing I love about Kelli is that she has never let this whole overdue thing define her, even though many of her supporters very much tried to define her as the poor woman who still hasn't gotten a tony. "Woe is her" shtick. She never succumbed to it and has always remained professional about it. In the end, her speech was great and Kristin was so classy and funny about the loss. Life goes on. 

Videos