News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...- Page 15

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#350The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 9:45am

"In the end, the competition is beside the point.
Kelli got the award because more Tony voters voted for her Mrs. Anna, which was filled with heart and soul and intelligence.
Sometimes that wins; sometimes flair and dazzle win. It's all show biz."

Like when Mary Martin won for The Sound of Music over Ethel Merman in Gypsy or Joanna Gleason won for Into the Woods over Patti LuPone in Anything Goes.

Showface
#351The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 9:59am

Look, all of these women are talented performers...

But this is all subjective! There's no way to objectively vote for the winner, because it's all a matter of opinion, anyway! Let's just all be happy for another excellent Tony night, an amazing and nail biting race for Best Actress this year!

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#352The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:05am

Showface, You and I both know that the real winner should have been Anna Kendrick for her performance in Into The Woods. It was so perfect it didn't even need to be onstage!

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#353The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:26am

"Kelli was impressive. Just not as impressive as she's been in the past, and not as impressive as Cheno was this season."

"She should have won for Bridges instead."

If you ask me Patti gave a Tony-worthy performance in Sweeney Todd, which was more impressive than her quite fine Rose in Gypsy (though I didn't see La Chanze in Color Purple) and Kelli should have won for South Pacific over Patti in Gypsy.  And, yes, I agree Kristin's Lily was more impressive than Kelli's Anna.

But, in the end, we're talking about strong competition and an absence of slouches.  At a certain point comparisons are intriguing, fun to discuss, and, of course, what awards are all about...  but nothing to get nuts about when there's so many riches.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#354The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/8/15 at 10:32am

I thought Kelli's speech was lovely and I'm happy she won, and at the same time I'm disappointed that Kristen didn't win.  How nice for Kelli to acknowledge her voice teacher and Kristen though.  I feel that Kelli should have won for Light in the Piazza and Bridges.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#355The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 1:21pm

Saw On The Twentieth Century last night-  As good as Kristin was,  Kelli more then deserved that award.  She was luminous.  Kristin was terrific, but I wasn't blown away by her work.  I really didn't care for the show that much, I found the material dull, it never engaged me in a way a slapstick musical comedy like this should.  i admit the second act was better.  I felt the material dragged Kristin down as good as she was,  she also was a little old for the role IMO, though that didn't really matter.  So for my money, the Tony's got it right.  

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#356The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 1:38pm

^ I agree with everything you wrote.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#357The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 2:16pm

Agreed, Soaring. I saw Kristin. I thought she was great, but wasn't blown away like everyone else. I thought she was good enough at least for a nomination. The only scenes I found her truly memorable were his numbers, especially Veronique. I was tired, just watching her in that scene.

Sadly, I would be at the weekend that Kelli was out with the flu, so I can't make any comparisons. But, based on the Tony performances and the soundtrack, I imagine her to be stellar. I'm not worried about missing her in a Tony-winning role. That lady has many Tonys to come!

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#358The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 2:28pm

Saw On The Twentieth Century last night-  As good as Kristin was,  Kelli more then deserved that award.  She was luminous.  Kristin was terrific, but I wasn't blown away by her work.  I really didn't care for the show that much, I found the material dull, it never engaged me in a way a slapstick musical comedy like this should.  i admit the second act was better.  I felt the material dragged Kristin down as good as she was,  she also was a little old for the role IMO, though that didn't really matter.  So for my money, the Tony's got it right.

Just guessing, but judging by your profile picture and going by your previous posts you've made about Kelli, it sounds like you had your mind made up about this "competition" before the curtain even opened at On the Twentieth Century. 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#359The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 2:39pm

"Saw On The Twentieth Century last night-  As good as Kristin was,  Kelli more then deserved that award.  She was luminous.  Kristin was terrific, but I wasn't blown away by her work.  I really didn't care for the show that much, I found the material dull, it never engaged me in a way a slapstick musical comedy like this should.  i admit the second act was better.  I felt the material dragged Kristin down as good as she was,  she also was a little old for the role IMO, though that didn't really matter.  So for my money, the Tony's got it right.

Just guessing, but judging by your profile picture and going by your previous posts you've made about Kelli, it sounds like you had your mind made up about this "competition" before the curtain even opened at On the Twentieth Century. "

Yeah, I doubt there was much objectivity from the two posters with Kelli O'Hara as their profile pic. Don't know why Kelli supporters have to tear down her competition just to bolster Kelli up. The Tonys are over, but the need to validate her win remains strong.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#360The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 2:46pm

Well said, Scotty. Kelli has never needed validation from anyone. She's a wonderful performer. It's a shame she has crazy fans.

I was fortunate enough to see both Kristin and Kelli early in their runs and comparing their performances like it's some kind of cheap competition, degrades both Kelli and Kristin's marvelous work. 

Updated On: 7/19/15 at 02:46 PM

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#361The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 3:29pm

I'll admit I'm a big fan of Kelli, but I am not so biased that I had my mind up before the curtain went up.  Kristin was the only reason that I saw that show and I still think she was terrific. And also,  they were both nominated for an  award where they both competed against each other as well as 3 other nominees. So like it or not, it is a competition. I shouldn't  be made out to be trashing Kristin just because I'm expressing a critical opinion and that I prefer someone else's work. Many people on this site have stated opinions about preferring somebody else's work over another.   Both were great, but one has a preference to which one they preferred and I happened to prefer Kelli. It's subjective.   I am a huge fan of Kristin and she is an amazing talent that is very deserving of a second Tony Award, I just thought that she was brought down by the material.  Both are amazing talents and influences of mine.  I'm not trashing anybody.  I'm just responding to those people who claimed that Kelli was underwhelming and that Kristin deserved to win more.  I happen to disagree.  

Updated On: 7/19/15 at 03:29 PM

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#362The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 4:05pm

I guess it's hard to take your comments seriously when by clicking on your profile, I see threads you started like: Songs you want Kelli to sing, Roles Kelli can win another tony for, Kelli's vocal range... etc..etc....

Nothing wrong with being a fan of someone, but it's difficult to for me (and probably others) to take your On The Twentieth Century review seriously, when your bias for Kelli seems to be oddly (and almost uncomfortably) strong. 

Updated On: 7/19/15 at 04:05 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#363The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 5:24pm

Oh my. Shots fired...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#364The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 5:45pm

"when your bias for Kelli seems to be oddly (and almost uncomfortably) strong. "

Ok...

troll.

bwayphreak234
#365The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 5:47pm

^ My thoughts exactly, bjh.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#366The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 6:39pm

KRISTIN F*CKING CHENOWETH

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#367The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 9:42pm

I think Kelli very much deserved the Tony this year as well as last year. And that's not taking into account all of this "it was her time" nonsense. I just think she gave the best performances in her category this year and the year before. Chita was a very close second.

Phillypinto
#368The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 11:05pm

Jessie Mueller deserved that tony last year hands down. 

as far as 2015, I've seen all the women in this category EXCEPT kelli lol

Its so hard to choose between Kristin and Chita since their roles and shows are SO different, but both brilliant. I think id give it to Kristin since she's a comic genius, and has amazing vocals

bwayphreak234
#369The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 11:09pm

^ ... yet you haven't seen Kelli O'Hara ...

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#370The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 11:13pm

And did you even see her in Bridges? Mueller worked wonders in a mediocre show but Kelli was a revelation.

Phillypinto
#371The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 11:13pm

I was just talking as if it was between chita or Kristin. Im seeing King and I next month depending if they are selling rush, and i'll get back to this thread then. If not, i'll be seeing it in November lol

ChiTheaterFan
#372The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 11:22pm

As with featured actress, I'm just glad I'm not a voter!  Two lovely performances. (I didn't see The Visit.)

Phillypinto
#373The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/19/15 at 11:28pm

"And did you even see her in Bridges? Mueller worked wonders in a mediocre show but Kelli was a revelation."

LOL, but yet Beautiful was nominated instead of Bridges. Yea i saw Bridges. I don't think it was superior to Beautiful at all. They were both great, but I think I liked Jessie so much because i had never seen a performance like that ever. I think Jessie was more critically acclaimed than Kelli for that reason. On top of the fact that Jessie is a waaaay better actress than Kelli, and i am a big Kelli O'hara fan too don't get me wrong

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#374The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 7/20/15 at 12:56am

"Im seeing King and I next month depending if they are selling rush, and i'll get back to this thread then."

Yes, be sure to do that Pinto, cause I was just thinking... after lying dormant and undisturbed for 6 weeks and only having amassed 354 comments before its slumber, thank goodness this thread was revived since there is just so much more to discuss and so many nuances and subtleties to the "do you like Kelli or Kristin better" debate that we haven't even explored yet. So with OTTC closing, even if this thread goes back into slumber, be sure to get that BWW defibrillator, give this thread a charge and jolt it back to life so we can discuss this some more.  I just know, with enough additional discussion and exploration of this topic, we can reach a definitive decision on who gave the best performance that everyone will agree with. And isn't that what we all want?

Videos