News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]- Page 35

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#850The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/9/16 at 6:56pm

Per Baz:

https://twitter.com/BazBam/status/741036223725219844

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#851The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/9/16 at 7:23pm

sparepart973 said: "Could it be that they actually know what's going to happen and not revealing it versus alluding that there hasn't been an agreement yet?"

LOL could it be... it's pretty obvious, every single one of them knows if they will be continuing with the show or not, but I assume they've been told to keep their mouths shut.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#852The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/9/16 at 8:11pm

gypsy101 said: "sparepart973 said: "Could it be that they actually know what's going to happen and not revealing it versus alluding that there hasn't been an agreement yet?"

LOL could it be... it's pretty obvious, every single one of them knows if they will be continuing with the show or not, but I assume they've been told to keep their mouths shut.
"

This.  How could they not know what's happening?  I guess we should expect announcements after Sunday.  This Saturday will be 4 weeks until contracts end. 

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#853The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 1:23am

As a Canadian I wonder, will this show really have a life outside of America? Will it do well in the UK? Survive on the hype? 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#854The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 1:38am

I think it will do very well in the UK. The story is pretty universal.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#855The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 1:40am

gypsy101 said: "I think it will do very well in the UK. The story is pretty universal.

"

Okay, so as a Canadian, with little knowledge of the show, and no knowledge of Hamilton at all.. Why should I care? What is universal about his story? 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#856The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 1:45am

You're a little late to the party but maybe check this out. (or this, I guess)

Small town boy goes to the city and makes it big, crashes and burns, redeems himself and then is killed. The plot doesn't really hinge on formerly knowing who he is.

Updated On: 6/10/16 at 01:45 AM

aaaaaa15
#857The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 1:49am

EvanK said: "As a Canadian I wonder, will this show really have a life outside of America? Will it do well in the UK? Survive on the hype?"

Americans don't love Hamilton because it's about America, that's just a bonus. They love it because it's good. 

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#858The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 4:58am

aaaaaa15 said: "Americans don't love Hamilton because it's about America, that's just a bonus. They love it because it's good. "

I agree that the story is universal and the fever pitch surrounding the show is because it's good. I agree that people outside the US will want to see it and enjoy it. It's not like all of the people clamoring to see it are American history buffs. But I will say that Hamilton's immigrant, pulled up by his boot straps story is very American as is the Revolutionary War aspect.

It may be subconscious for some people, but I believe part of the reason people here love the show has to do with that Revolutionary War hero aspect and the building of our country, especially during such turbulent political times. I was surprised by how deeply moved I was to view our founding fathers as young men, wild and passionate and willing to give everything for freedom (as opposed to how they appear in history books, all serious and powdery). So while I predict it will be popular elsewhere, the passion among the fans may not grow quite as strong. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Sam2
#859The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 5:58am

I'm European as well, and I've loved this show ever since I first heard about it. The emotions, power and style are universal and not restricted by borders. I'm pretty sure that London audiences will adore Hamilton as soon they get to see it. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#860The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 6:06am

hell if it doesn't sell out there, it might be cheaper for Americans to fly to London, see it and return here than it would be to see it in New York.

batboysings
#861The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 7:04am

I'm in the UK, can confirm we understand and enjoy stories other than those that are exclusively British.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#862The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 8:57am

Evita, anyone?

spikethebunny Profile Photo
spikethebunny
#863The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 8:57am

As a Canadian who travelled to NYC specifically to see the show (and who is going back in December to see it again), I can absolutely say there are those of us who get it. The show transcends the American history part of it, but even so, it honestly made me even more interested in it. I didn't grow up learning this stuff in school, so I found myself researching it to better understand the show and the characters. I found it all very fascinating.

Based on my social media feed and my friends freaking out about the possibility of a Toronto sit down show, I think it will do pretty well here. They just need to add a bit more hockey. (Kidding!)

Updated On: 6/10/16 at 08:57 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#864The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 9:21am

EvanK, looks like you're the odd one out bud.

aaaaaa15
#865The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 9:55am

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "I agree that the story is universal and the fever pitch surrounding the show is because it's good. I agree that people outside the US will want to see it and enjoy it. It's not like all of the people clamoring to see it are American history buffs. But I will say that Hamilton's immigrant, pulled up by his boot straps story is very American as is the Revolutionary War aspect.

It may be subconscious for some people, but I believe part of the reason people here love the show has to do with that Revolutionary War hero aspect and the building of our country, especially during such turbulent political times. I was surprised by how deeply moved I was to view our founding fathers as young men, wild and passionate and willing to give everything for freedom (as opposed to how they appear in history books, all serious and powdery). So while I predict it will be popular elsewhere, the passion among the fans may not grow quite as strong.
"

Of course and I know it will always do the most well in New York. I'm just saying, BBAJ flopped. Having it be about American history isn't a draw unless the material backs it up.

As for the passion among the fans, I think I love Hamilton as much as any American, except maybe the ones that are willing to wait 48 hours in the cancellation line.

Mediamaven2
#866The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 11:07am

NJ_BroadwayGirl said: "aaaaaa15 said: "Americans don't love Hamilton because it's about America, that's just a bonus. They love it because it's good. "

I agree that the story is universal and the fever pitch surrounding the show is because it's good. I agree that people outside the US will want to see it and enjoy it. It's not like all of the people clamoring to see it are American history buffs. But I will say that Hamilton's immigrant, pulled up by his boot straps story is very American as is the Revolutionary War aspect.

I agree with you. Yes music is great and transcends; yes many aspects of his story are universal. And yet, it is a uniquely "American" story and one we all connect to as Americans. So, it will be interesting to see the extent to which it is well received.  It will be well received, but I just don't think insanely so as here.

"

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#867The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 12:23pm

gypsy101 said: "EvanK, looks like you're the odd one out bud."

There's no odd one out here. I was just genuinely curious and wondering what people thought :) Will it be embraced the same or not? That is all. Of course I don't think you have to be American to enjoy it. But I was curious if that is part of the hype and love of it. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#868The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 12:58pm

To make it clear: not too many AMERICANS know all that much about Alexander Hamilton beyond he was the founder of the Treasury and that he died in a duel.    So he's not the American Hero that we already love.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#869The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 12:58pm

To make it clear: not too many AMERICANS know all that much about Alexander Hamilton beyond he was the founder of the Treasury and that he died in a duel.    So he's not the American Hero that we already love.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mediamaven2
#870The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 7:45pm

dramamama611 said: "To make it clear: not too many AMERICANS know all that much about Alexander Hamilton beyond he was the founder of the Treasury and that he died in a duel.    So he's not the American Hero that we already love.

No, and so? 

"

Mediamaven2
#871The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 7:47pm

Mediamaven2 said: "dramamama611 said: "To make it clear: not too many AMERICANS know all that much about Alexander Hamilton beyond he was the founder of the Treasury and that he died in a duel.    So he's not the American Hero that we already love.

No, and so? 

Sorry meant to add that just because he's not already some known loved American hero doesn't mean it's not a very American story that might be more meaningful to americans than to foreigners. For example, we know nothing also of King George from that period (or at least I don't). Perhaps the English audience typically does, and perhaps his portrayal is not something as funny to them. Perhaps it's historically off, his manner, etc.? I don't know. I  am just open to the fact the entire show may not go over as well abroad as it does here. I'm sure it will go over, just maybe not as well. Maybe.

"

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#872The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 7:58pm

I only vaguely knew that he died in a duel (I don't think I was alive when that milk commercial about Aaron Burr was around), all I knew about him was that he was on the $10 bill and was the first Treasury Secretary. I was a huge fan of In the Heights but when this project was announced like 7 years ago I thought it was crazy (I watched the performance at the White House and thought it was good but not earth-shattering). Good job to Lin-Manuel for proving me (and I assume many others that thought the same thing) wrong!

ChiTheaterFan
#873The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/10/16 at 9:25pm

I think I would love the show regardless but the patriotism it evokes is an added plus. I may enjoy it if I weren't American, but I don't think, for example, Yorktown would give me such an emotional reaction. Yeah I didn't know much about Hamilton, but learning about him made me even more interested in our history. 

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#874The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/11/16 at 12:26pm

EvanK said: "gypsy101 said: "I think it will do very well in the UK. The story is pretty universal.

"

Okay, so as a Canadian, with little knowledge of the show, and no knowledge of Hamilton at all.. Why should I care? What is universal about his story? 

"

As a Canadian,  I saw it last year and am seeing it again in a couple of weeks and for a third time in November. I was completely hooked with the historical aspect. We don't learn much if anything about the revolution so it was fascinating for me. I had no idea that so much if it took place in  NYC.  Put that together with award winning music and dance and it's amazing!  Anyone, regardless of nationality, will love this show. If you're a history buff then it's icing on the cake! 

Videos