News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]- Page 36

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#875The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/11/16 at 3:13pm

A Canadian in NYC said: "EvanK said: "gypsy101 said: "I think it will do very well in the UK. The story is pretty universal.

"

Okay, so as a Canadian, with little knowledge of the show, and no knowledge of Hamilton at all.. Why should I care? What is universal about his story? 

"

As a Canadian,  I saw it last year and am seeing it again in a couple of weeks and for a third time in November. I was completely hooked with the historical aspect. We don't learn much if anything about the revolution so it was fascinating for me. I had no idea that so much if it took place in  NYC.  Put that together with award winning music and dance and it's amazing!  Anyone, regardless of nationality, will love this show. If you're a history buff then it's icing on the cake! 

"

Good to hear :) I have nothing against the show, I love what i've heard so far... I love In the Heights... I love Lin. Was just genuinely curious what people thought it's success would be like abroad :)

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#876The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/11/16 at 4:36pm

Phillipa Soo set to exit Hamilton next month according to The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/hamilton-star-phillipa-soo-set-901031

schubox
#877The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/11/16 at 5:31pm

swanjewel said: "Phillipa Soo set to exit Hamilton next month according to The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/hamilton-star-phillipa-soo-set-901031

"

At this point I'd be more interested in who is actually staying past July 

Ellen2
#878The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/12/16 at 6:00am

Random: 

Hamilton has the War Horse effect on me.laugh After seeing so much of the show (including the actual show), seeing the picture of the real founding fathers/George Washington seemed very unreal for a split second. I When I saw a photo of a real horse after being involved (read obsessed) with War Horse for a while It was unreal for a moment as well. 

rebeccmam31
#879The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/12/16 at 7:35am

Ellen2 said: "Random: 

Hamilton has the War Horse effect on me.laugh After seeing so much of the show (including the actual show), seeing the picture of the real founding fathers/George Washington seemed very unreal for a split second. I When I saw a photo of a real horse after being involved (read obsessed) with War Horse for a while It was unreal for a moment as well. 
"

That's pretty funny! As someone who owns real horses, I was staggered at just how right they got the movements of those puppets.  When the show started, I was thinking, "Those weird cages don't look like horses!" but I was very quickly immersed in believing.  One of the coolest things I've seen.

all_that_jazz Profile Photo
all_that_jazz
#880The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/13/16 at 7:44am

Okay so I don't count myself in as fan or obsessed yet but I have a question and obsessed fans are the ones who can help.  God knows I have my share of shows that I'm insanely passionate about and yet Hamilton so far for me has failed to make me want to see it.  No doubt it's good people are seeing it over and over. So I've heard it described as revolutionary etc.  What makes it revolutionary? What is that one thing about it that made you obsessed with it. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#881The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/13/16 at 7:48am

listen to the recording. the music is phenomenal. you'll be hooked.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#882The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/13/16 at 7:50am

It's revolutionary because they have these 2 turntables that revolve.

all_that_jazz Profile Photo
all_that_jazz
#883The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/13/16 at 8:04am

gypsy101 said: "listen to the recording. the music is phenomenal. you'll be hooked.

"Ya that's not doing it for me...i must admit rent was like that for me listened to the soundtrack and thought oy people sit through this.but the seeing it it all clicked and worked.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#884The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/13/16 at 8:22am

I'm not sure I would have sold on just the cd, either.

It's passionate, it's unique, it made me think, it made me want to know MORE.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

MISH2 Profile Photo
MISH2
#885The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/13/16 at 9:37am

all that jazz:  So I've heard it described as revolutionary etc.  What makes it revolutionary? What is that one thing about it that made you obsessed with it. 

When a friend first told me about it I said, "Rap music doesn't do it for me.  For one thing, I never understand what they're saying."  She had seen it at the Public and had was also hesitant initially.  And since our tastes in theater are similar, when a work- related site offered tickets for fall 2015 at a slight discount I bought them.  The cast album hadn't even been released yet  when I bought the tickets.  

My tickets were for November shortly after the cast album was released online.  Listened to it and liked it very much, but not obsessively.  I still had doubts about a multi-racial cast believably portraying the Founders.

I know it's been said over and over again, but the show was electrifying.  Despite the rapid-fire delivery, nearly every word was intelligible.  I didn't know much of Alexander Hamilton's back story so the show had an element of tension I hadn't expected.  Even though I had listened to the soundtrack it was more as background for whatever I was doing at the time and I wasn't paying strict attention to the story.  

As for the multiracial cast I totally forgot about it after a few minutes, that's how talented the cast is.  When someone says "George Washington," I swear I no longer see the white haired fellow from history books, I see the majestic Chris Jackson,  I've never been more moved by a show nor more determined to see it as many times as I can.  And I am a regular theatregoer who sees at least a dozen shows a year, very few of which I want to see a second time immediately after seeing it the first.

As for the cast album - have you seen the Facebook meme "My thoughts have been replaced by Hamilton lyrics?"  That's me!

"

Gymfan15
#886The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/14/16 at 10:04pm

So when I watched the Tony performance live, I admit I choked up a little bit when I saw all the swings, stand-by's and other cast join in the number...maybe it was a combination of Lin getting emotional, or the big dramatic ending, or everybody screaming "WE WON" when you know it has a bit of a double meaning, haha. Anyway, I thought they way they re-choreographed the number to include more people was pretty cool. You could see Morgan Marcell a lot which was nice!

A question, though. There was one person I couldn't place; the girl in the white ensemble dress at the beginning and the end. She stuck out because she wasn't a Schyler Sister but wasn't dressed in army clothes like the rest. And then I figured it must have been Alisha D., the female standby? Because she only covers the sisters so she wouldn't know the ensemble choreography. 

Speaking of being on stage, people who are complaining that people like Leslie got a bit ignored in the performance should think about Groff, who wasn't involved in ANY of the three performances, lol. Leslie at least got to open the show! I was so sure that they were going to involve Groff in some way; have him do a bit as King George or something. But they didn't so he was the only Hamilton nominee that got zero airtime. But ah well, you can't have everything. 

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#887The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/14/16 at 10:46pm

It was Alysha. She appeared to be wearing one of the white ensemble dresses. Javier Munoz and Nick Christopher performed in the blue officer's jackets.

As for Groff...well, the dude isn't in the show anymore. You don't expect people who are no longer with the show to perform with them. I know he was a nominee and trust me, he was celebrated as a cast member, but  even when you leave a show as big as Hamilton, you don't expect to perform with them. It's part of the trade off for taking a part in a TV show that could be big.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#888The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/14/16 at 10:51pm

I really loved the Tony performance.

I was thinking the other day and Titus Burgess would make a great replacement for King George and Laura Benanti would make a lovely Eliza.

Gymfan15
#889The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/14/16 at 10:51pm

Oh, I definitely get that...I never figured they'd have him perform or anything. I was just pointing out that it's a bit funny and ironic that there are people yelling "LESLIE DIDN'T GET AIRTIME!" or "DAVEED AND CHRIS AND RENEE DIDN'T GET AIRTIME!" when they actually ALL got a chance to solo at some point in the show. If anyone wants to cry wuzrobbed, at least do it for the right person, haha. 

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#890The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/14/16 at 10:53pm

I did notice that Groff was standing in front of the stage singing during the finale when they sang Schuyler Sisters. So he was included in that at least. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#891The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/14/16 at 11:35pm

i also thought it was strange they didn't include Jon in any way. He and James Corden both appearing as King George seemed like a no-brainer.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

ChiTheaterFan
#892The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/15/16 at 12:38am

FYI Sasha Hutchings was in for Peggy/Maria tonight.  She sounded good, but she doesn't have nearly the sensuality that Cephas Jones has.  She played Maria Reynolds as more innocent and helpless as opposed to super sexy. Maybe just a different take on the role. I also thought she didn't distinguish Peggy from Maria as much as Cehas Jones did because she her voice didn't take on that almost childlike quality Cephas Jones can do. Anyway, I'm happy for her that she got to go in tonight and she did great. It did make me realize how insanely good Jasmine Cephas Jones really is. Her voice is so soulful. I hope she has a great career in her future!  I'd love to hear her sing some jazz standards, which I understand is what she grew up singing. 

swanjewel Profile Photo
swanjewel
#893The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/15/16 at 7:23pm

Groff was in the opening number and the closing number.  Groff also came up to the front of the stage during the closing number with Rory and was on one of the steps at the end. 

And I have to agree about Jasmine's voice. It's definitely soulful. I wish she had more solo time. 

hannhannham
#894The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/15/16 at 9:34pm

I think there was something planned for Groff. I remember on either Twitter/Instagram, there was a picture of Rory, Groff, and I think Morgan Marcell (who I assume was teaching them choreo) and it was labeled as Tony reherasal or some kind of thing, so it must've been cut. I'll edit this post if I can find it. 

ETA: Found it! And it was actually with Stephanie Klemons, asst. choreographer. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGiK8PPCQhr/?taken-by=danceism

Updated On: 6/15/16 at 09:34 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#895The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/16/16 at 10:10am

https://twitter.com/petermarksdrama/status/743438112295108609

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#896The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/16/16 at 10:15am

^Interesting.   (esp. about filming.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sparepart973
#897The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/16/16 at 10:19am

Javi to replace Lin. That was non-climactic but deserved. 

Alexander Lamar
#898The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/16/16 at 10:25am

hannhannham said: "I think there was something planned for Groff. I remember on either Twitter/Instagram, there was a picture of Rory, Groff, and I think Morgan Marcell (who I assume was teaching them choreo) and it was labeled as Tony reherasal or some kind of thing, so it must've been cut. I'll edit this post if I can find it. 

ETA: Found it! And it was actually with Stephanie Klemons, asst. choreographer. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGiK8PPCQhr/?taken-by=danceism

"

There was also that 360 video they shared of the cast rehearsing Wait For It for the Tony's. Someone else speculated Hamilton's PR team put these thing out there to throw us off from knowing what they were actually doing. 

HarveyDent
#899The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 6/16/16 at 4:05pm

I saw Hamilton back in April when John Rua was filling in for Lin. Based on the cast recording and live performances I have seen on TV, I actually like him better than Lin as Hamilton. He definitely is a better singer and his acting is more believable / natural. (Lin is a genius, btw. Please do not think I am disparaging him at all)

How does Javier compare to John? How would you rate them?

Videos